The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
pound41

New Lift kit Rear 2 in higher

Bought a new skyjacker soft ride 4 inch lift. I was hoping to actually be lowering the truck. PO had a hard riding lift kit with blocks he told me was a 6 in lift. Wrong a 4 inch. So the new kit has it a little higher overall. And the rear sits noticeably higher. Can I pull some leafs to level and lower, If so which ones. Middle or the bottom.
Thanks
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
elkniks

Re: New Lift kit Rear 2 in higher

I put a skyjacker 6" on mine and over the years pulled leaves to lower and soften suspension. I'm not sure how it will effect towing, but it will lower your truck and soften it up. I started will the shortest leaves first.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
pound41

Thanks for the reply
In the rear did you remove the little wedge at the bottom of the springs. The thicker shorter leaf. One or both or neither. Is the little wedge piece important.
Thanks again
Old 09-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
elkniks

The wedge shaped shim is to help your driveshaft angle. The output yoke on the T case and the input yoke on the diff need to be as close to the same angle as possible. The diff can be pointed down a little because it will climb upwards under acceleration.

As for the leaves, I started with the shortest and went from there.
elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
cleszkie

Stupid question, but have you looked returning the new rear springs and using the credit to buy some 4" springs? Removing leaves from spring packs is a short term fix, as the remaining leaves will wear out and begin sagging sooner, especially if you occaisonally carry moderately heavy loads from time to time.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
pound41

cleszkie:
Not a stupid question. I bought the lift kit almost a year a go and got busy never having the time. Based on what the PO had told me it was a 6 inch lift. Also based on some of the measurements others had giving me to try and figure out how high it would be everything said 6in therefore I went 4in. I actually wanted to lower the whole truck a little. If it was level and rode good I would just live with it. But its out of level so I want to lower it down especially since my teen aged daughter will drive it some.