The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

203 transfer case conversion for 2wd

Apologies if duplicate thread remote so can't search.

Is there a drop in replacement for an NP203 transfer case that enables the use of Warn locking hubs and gives the 2WD option? Orrrr...... is a conversion to the existing 203 case the better / cheaper option??
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: 203 transfer case conversion for 2wd

If the hubs are already installed, you should be 2wd when the hubs are unlocked. The front driveshaft and front axles will still turn but are unlocked at the hubs, so the front tires are free wheeling. I guess there's some parasitic drag, but this is the cheapest, easiest route to getting that full-time 4 wheel drive xfer case let you have 2wd.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

Additional information. mechanic tells me that there are a couple of seals to the transfer case that need to be changed out and that it is in it's last 25% of life anyway. Thus as its coming out anyhoo i was thinking it might be time for the change now.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

It's a chain-driven transfer case and the chain does eventually wear out, but does it really need it? If you haven't felt the chain skip I'd let it be for now. The seals, how much are they leaking? I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can put that mechanic's kid through college if you let him fix everything he finds wrong with it. Start with a service manual, and change the fluids/filter in the engine and transmission, pull the differential covers off and inspect the gears, put them back on and refill. Remove the radiator cap and look inside. If you're going to spend money on it and don't know how to do this yourself, have the brakes checked. Start doing the maintenance yourself and you'll figure out what it needs and doesn't need.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
eighteenninetytwo

Thanks Bruiser. I appreciate the candor. My plan is to basically do as you describe and learn as I go, change an improve as I go. I bought the Haynes Service manual yesterday ......HOWEVER.... the "No leaks" thing was a wifely pre requisite of getting the truck and I don't want to sour her on the thing from the start (not any more anyway). Hence the first stop after purchase was to the mechanic to 'Unleak' it and ensure it'll stop when I want it to. I'm just looking at getting the best value for money at present and if it'
s taking a few hours of mechanic time, is it better to drop in new gear as opposed to fix up old.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Wifey's orders - that changes everything. Tough call, because you could get a NP208 or NP 241 unit cheap from the junkyard, they were used in later square body 4x4's and have a true 2wd. But you'd have to change the shifter and I'm not sure if the driveshafts will need to be changed or not. It may not be worth the trouble, but I'd do that before I'd pay someone to rebuild a NP203. How much does he want to fix the leaks on the 203?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
eighteenninetytwo

really it's just the cost of the seals and the time taken to do the work. Nothing huge. I think I'll work on a 208 down the line and this will suffice for now. it will be an adventure, which is the purpose of this whole thing.