The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
phlegm
Still Green but learning

I may have created some problems with my HEI Conversion

hey guys, how do the gas gauges work on these trucks, is there a ground going to the sending unit on the tank? if so where does that all come back to? I think when I went HEI I may have created a Grounding issue, I have some dash lights that are out and one headlight is weirdly dim instead of just being blown.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
franken

Re: I may have created some problems with my HEI Conversion

The dash has a ground wire. Make sure it's connected. Maybe someone else has better suggestions, but I'm not sure how to relate powering an HEI to other electrical troubles.
I'd check the headlight ground.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

On a mechanical fuel pump vehicle, there is supposed to be a ground from the sender to the frame/body depending on the vehicle. Usually from a tab on the sender to a screw/bolt on the frame. BUT, it is not designed to serve any other purpose then grounding the gauge circuit. Your other lighting issues aren't due to the gas tank being missing a ground. The missing gas ground will result in a max full reading all the time, same as an open circuit on the wire from gauge to sender.

2nd the thought you do have missing or bad grounds on the various lighting circuits.

Where did you get the 12v for the HEI?
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
On a mechanical fuel pump vehicle, there is supposed to be a ground from the sender to the frame/body depending on the vehicle. Usually from a tab on the sender to a screw/bolt on the frame. BUT, it is not designed to serve any other purpose then grounding the gauge circuit. Your other lighting issues aren't due to the gas tank being missing a ground. The missing gas ground will result in a max full reading all the time, same as an open circuit on the wire from gauge to sender.

2nd the thought you do have missing or bad grounds on the various lighting circuits.

Where did you get the 12v for the HEI?
OK cool sounds like a bad sender then since it stays on empty, but I will know for sure after I fill it up, hopefully just needs a lot more gas coming in under pressure... but right now cant drive it to the station.

As to the ground, I still think i have issues, I think if i can figure out how to properly ground the Tach then the rest will fall into place.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote