The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Bentbolt

Turn signals are always one.

I have a 1966 c10. This is my first project I have wired. The whole project hasn’t had one-hick up.

I put all new wiring kit and column. I used a speedway wiring kit and ccp column. The rear turn signals are always on steady not flashing. I have the relay in the fuse panel. I have to check the front tonight as I don’t have the hood on so they aren’t hooked up.

TIA

instgram 65see_x
.……………………….. ____
..………________//__l \_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Turn signals are always one.

The rear turn signals in these trucks also serve as the brake lights (they use the same bulbs and share much of the wiring).

So I would recommend checking your brake light switch. It might simply be out of adjustment and not allowing the brake pedal to push the switch plunger in (or in far enough) to turn off the brake lights.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Bentbolt

Thanks Ray. I wasn't getting power to the brake switch. I got power now to the brake switch. I still don't have turn signals or brakes but I have hazards. I double checked the column connections. When I get the hazards on I can hear the relay clicking.

instgram 65see_x
.……………………….. ____
Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

You're welcome!

When you said earlier that the rear turn signals were on steady and not flashing, I took that to mean that they were on all the time (whether you had flipped the turn signal lever or not) so I figured it may have been the brake lights staying on. But now, I'm wondering if you meant that the turn signals come on steady and don't flash only when you flip the lever to signal a turn. If that's the case, that is probably normal without the front turn signal lights hooked up yet. That's because the flasher relay needs a minimum load to draw enough current to heat up the bi-metallic strip inside and open the contacts. Once the contacts open, the current stops, lights turn off, and the bi-metallic strip cools, re-closes the contacts and turns the lights back on. This process repeats, causing the lights to flash. But without enough load (only 1 bulb in the rear) they just stay on steady. The hazards are probably working because that's operating 2 bulbs in the rear.

As for the brake lights not working, I see you now have power going to the switch. Next thing to check would be to make sure the switch contacts are closing when you push the brake pedal and passing power through the switch.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Bentbolt

it doesnt matter if the brake switch is on or off. i will try and see if installing all the turn signals see if the helps. the night before last the hazards worked and last night they did not. nothing changed. i need to get the housing out and run new wires to the terminal. i have all new wires ran up to the tail light plug.

instgram 65see_x
.……………………….. ____