The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
redman83

Frame Prep and Paint

Goodmorning Gentleman, I haven't been on the forum for about 4yrs now as numerous deaths in the family and a million other projects kept me away from working on my truck... Now we're ready to get it moving along, I recently purchased a frame here in my local area as mine was found to have a crack and was far from straight... anyways onto the rerason im here.. im going to be sand blasting the frame later this week and was wondering what everyone else has been using in theirs? ive used alot of Eastwood products in the past and was going to go with that again but there are so many other options... POR 15, SEM Products... what does everyone else like to use?
redman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
NC_John

Re: Frame Prep and Paint

On the sections I have cleaned and painted on mine I used a John Deere semi-gloss black paint. Looks factory and seems to be well-regarded on a lot of forums. I just bought aerosol cans when I did mine.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
KMC3420

Since you will be getting it blasted, I would suggest using an Epoxy primer after blasting, then using a chassis paint. I used Eastwoods Extreme chassis black, its a single stage. I would opt for their 2 stage paint if I was going to do it over again with the activator, the Eastwood 2K Ceramic Chassis Black. That is all I have used, but have heard good things about John Deere Blitz black as well. Prep work is the key to the paint staying on as long as possible, blasting will be the best thing to start with.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
RodnRudy

I also just got my frame back from the blasters. Using a spritz bottle, I sprayed it lightly with Dupont Kwik Prep 244S. Used compressed air to blow it dry. This puts a barrier on the bare metal to keep it from flash rusting. I'm going to use Tractor Supply red oxide primer, and matte black enamel. I'm brushing rather than spraying it on cause I don't have a spray booth. You can add a hardener to the paint for more durability.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
redman83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Since you will be getting it blasted, I would suggest using an Epoxy primer after blasting, then using a chassis paint. I used Eastwoods Extreme chassis black, its a single stage. I would opt for their 2 stage paint if I was going to do it over again with the activator, the Eastwood 2K Ceramic Chassis Black. That is all I have used, but have heard good things about John Deere Blitz black as well. Prep work is the key to the paint staying on as long as possible, blasting will be the best thing to start with.
Thats the route i was looking at going... ive done it this way before on other projects and it turned out great... just had to ask as my way may not always be the best way
redman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
KMC3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman83 View Post
Thats the route i was looking at going... ive done it this way before on other projects and it turned out great... just had to ask as my way may not always be the best way
I would say you are on the right path. Plus you are in Florida, so hopefully it will be warm enough to shoot paint soon, if it isn't already. Good luck.