The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
blazin

blazer roll bar and roll cage pics please

i am getting a friend to fab up some roll bars or maybe even a rool cage... if anyone has any pictures or them in there blazer that would be great if you could post them for me. if any one has build there own and has any tips or blue prints that would be great to.
blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
mdunn

Re: blazer roll bar and roll cage pics please

Here are a few pics of mine. I had the front factory roll bar hoop duplicated and then made the mounting feet and everything to mount the new hoop where the factory down bars normally attach. I then attached the front and rear together to give a strong tie. Next step is to tie it into the frame. Only did this becuase at the dunes, they require you to have full protection over the rear seat.

They key to this, was that the front factory roll bar did not have to be modified in any way, but was still used. I still have all the factory pieces for the rear, whenever I want to change it back.

Are you thinking of doing a full cage or just the rear?
Good luck with the build.

Last edited by mdunn; 02-20-2010 at 10:25 PM.
mdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Dusty71blazer

Does anyone have pics & measurements of the factory roll bar?

'97 Dodge Ram (daily driver)
'71 Blazer (supposed to be a toy... insists on being a project)
'85 Monte Carlo SS (project)
Dusty71blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
1949gmc

what size tubing is that...... 2 inch?
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
mdunn

Yes, it is 2" x 0.120".

The front hoop is the factory roll bar. That is the one I had duplicated for the rear.

Last edited by mdunn; 02-21-2010 at 01:27 AM.
mdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
litebulblsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
Yes, it is 2" x 0.120".

The front hoop is the factory roll bar. That is the one I had duplicated for the rear.
I don't think that was a factory bar.
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
blazin

Quote:
Here are a few pics of mine. I had the front factory roll bar hoop duplicated and then made the mounting feet and everything to mount the new hoop where the factory down bars normally attach. I then attached the front and rear together to give a strong tie. Next step is to tie it into the frame. Only did this becuase at the dunes, they require you to have full protection over the rear seat.

They key to this, was that the front factory roll bar did not have to be modified in any way, but was still used. I still have all the factory pieces for the rear, whenever I want to change it back.

Are you thinking of doing a full cage or just the rear?
Good luck with the build.

i think i just want to do the front, just behide the seats. your bars dont look like they tie into the frame???? or do they tie in underneath the body? thanx for the pics
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Gary 70 Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty71blazer View Post
Does anyone have pics & measurements of the factory roll bar?
I got some off my roll bar measuresments go off the inside of the bar and where the bend starts. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
mdunn

Not tied into the frame yet. I need to tie into the frame underneath.

Here is a picture before I started. I thought it was the factory bar. Maybe it's not.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 70 Jimmy View Post
I got some off my roll bar measuresments go off the inside of the bar and where the bend starts. I hope this helps.
thanx for the measurements.. this will help my fab guy out alot. cheers

sterling
Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Dusty71blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 70 Jimmy View Post
Thank-you for the measurements!! That will help alot!
Now.... if anyone could make the weather warm so I can take the top off for easier access....

I'm sure shipping kills this but, I have access to a tubing bender- My brother has a bender & all the goodies. I'm sure he would be willing to build made to order roll bars, cages, bumpers, etc built to your specs. let me know if anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with him.

'97 Dodge Ram (daily driver)
'71 Blazer (supposed to be a toy... insists on being a project)
'85 Monte Carlo SS (project)
Dusty71blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
BLUE THUNDER

Looks like that is/was a Smittybuilt roll bar. I have one just like it. I purchased it from another board member but have never installed it. How are you attatching it to the floor up front? Are those self tapping bolts? I can't see how to get under the floor to use washers and nuts to bolt it in. Let me know. Thanks, Mario.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
mdunn

Nope, they are through bolts. You have to reach up and around the frame rail to get to them. They are a pain to get to, but doable.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
vtblazer

No intent to pick on the really nice work but this in not a stable roll bar set up.

Without cross bracing, it'll fold in a roll over.

Last edited by vtblazer; 02-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
mdunn

Vtblazer..your point is valid. Did not build this cage to be rock crawler proof. I built it becuase the state parks at the sand dunes say there has to be protection for the rear occupants behind their heads.

How much load do you think the stock roll cage could take bolted to the floor? My guess is it could not handle the weight of the blazer either.

Sorry if I lead anyone to believe this is a perfectly safe setup. Was just trying to give Blazin some ideas on where to start.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #16
blazin

Quote:
Vtblazer..your point is valid. Did not build this cage to be rock crawler proof. I built it becuase the state parks at the sand dunes say there has to be protection for the rear occupants behind their heads.

How much load do you think the stock roll cage could take bolted to the floor? My guess is it could not handle the weight of the blazer either.

Sorry if I lead anyone to believe this is a perfectly safe setup. Was just trying to give Blazin some ideas on where to start.
thanx again mdunn.. your the only guy that put up pics of roll bars. i think that if the metal was thick enough and bolted to the frame it will do the job..hopefully save me and my girl friends life in a roll over. i just wanted something to give my fab guy an idea of what i want them to look like, and some opionions on how to build them to do the job. i would love to see a few pics of roll bars bolted to the frame from underneath.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #17
1949gmc

VT's not trying to trash your setup... it looks good... but when it comes to safety, its good to let everyone know that a rollbar like this only looks good- it won't save your life or your passengers life. It's the same for the 'dealer installed' rollbars... they're not going to save your life in case of a rollover. Because it has no cross supports, it can collapse and because it is only mounted to sheetmetal, it can tear out. 50,000 people, or more, have access to this thread, or any thread on rollbars, and if any one of those people gets the idea that a rollbar without the integrity of cross supports or a sound foundation can save their lives, then they are in danger.... and we've let it happen. I'd say that, beyond the force equal to pushing a truck over by hand, a rollbar that is just bolted to the floor with no bracing, just won't hold up. In order to keep you and your passengers alive, a rollbar must be tied into the frame and there must be cross supports and some triangulation. Now, I understand that the trail park has a rule about rollbars, and that's fine.... as long as you know what might happen in a worse case scenario and take the proper precautions as you see fit.

Forget trail riding, it's a good idea to have a cage in a truck that'll only ever see the streets! You're going a helluva lot faster and there are a million more idiots out there! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about wearing my race car helmet just driving to and from work!!

Last edited by 1949gmc; 02-23-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
blazin

ok... it would be aweosme if someone could post a pic or 8 of a safety roll bar setup.. i dont want a full roll cage, it takes away from the look of a convertable blazer. but safety is my number one concern.. otherwise i wouldnt put any kind of roll bar in casue i dont like the look of them. but with my setup ( 383 stroker with 465hp/492tq, 6inch lift) i really think its a good idea to have something. so if anyone has some pics or drawing of a proper setup i would really appreciate them.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
1949gmc

It's not mine, but something I found using the search feature:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87&postcount=6
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
It's not mine, but something I found using the search feature:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87&postcount=6
thats awesome 1949gmc.. thanx for the link. i tried using the search and didnt come up with anything.. i always do a search before i post a question, but it would seem i suck at it. i joined this site almost a year ago when i bought my blazer, but didnt start using it till this month....still lots to leaarn about this site... but i love it here. anyways that setup is something i could live with. it looks like s&w made them. im sure my fab guy could rig up something like that.
cheers
Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
1949gmc

I'll tell you what, anything and everything you could possibly encounter on one of these trucks is in this board somewhere. It takes HOURS to find it all.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
thanx again mdunn.. your the only guy that put up pics of roll bars. i think that if the metal was thick enough and bolted to the frame it will do the job..hopefully save me and my girl friends life in a roll over. i just wanted something to give my fab guy an idea of what i want them to look like, and some opionions on how to build them to do the job. i would love to see a few pics of roll bars bolted to the frame from underneath.

If your getting into these situation's, might I suggest doing some of your own research that goes beyond and a lot deeper than this site could offer, learn the reason's they need to be built a certain way to be strong & safe, it'll only benifit you (and anyone else that rides with you) in the end.

this site has a lot more to offer if you put in the time surfing, you could try CK5 also, more hard core truck over there.

Pics of a 'family cage' for ya:
Attached Images

Last edited by vtblazer; 02-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
If your getting into these situation's, might I suggest doing some of your own research that goes beyond and a lot deeper than this site could offer, learn the reason's they need to be built a certain way to be strong & safe, it'll only benifit you (and anyone else that rides with you) in the end.

this site has a lot more to offer if you put in the time surfing, you could try CK5 also, more hard core truck over there.

Pics of a 'family cage' for ya:
holy.. man thats a roll cage. thanx for the pics vtblazer. im still new to this site, even though i joined a year ago, i just started using it. i'll figure it all out soon enough tho. do you build your roll cage? that pic of the underneath.. is that bar on the frame part of the cage?it looks like its on a bushing.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #24
Burt4x4

Here is mine.
6pt. Front Halo style, I have allways wanted too add a rear halo with two legs coming straigt down right behind the rear set to make it 8pt and full family..someday.
Mine is not tied to the frame but I am tied to the body crossmembers in the tub.

Just make sure you duck if'n yer in the back!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #25
1949gmc

Always loved that truck, Burt. You've got a lot of good pieces on that thing, but I gotta ask......... what the h*ll happened to it in that bottom picture? You get vandalized or somethin?