The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
jkade

Someone with roller rockers help!!!!!!!!!!!

How much does the poly lock stick out the top of the rocker? I think I got the wrong locks with mine.
Thanks In Advance
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
69cruiser
user title? why?

Re: Someone with roller rockers help!!!!!!!!!!!

On my setup the polylocks are pretty much flush with the rocker nut, it sounds like you did get the wrong poly locks, what kind of rockers are you using(part #)? and is this on a big block or small block?

Cory
6-speed overdrive manual tranny, Mcloed Clutch.
12-bolt posi 3.73 gears
Belltech sport suspension 1" drop front 2" drop rear.
69cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cruiser View Post
On my setup the polylocks are pretty much flush with the rocker nut, it sounds like you did get the wrong poly locks, what kind of rockers are you using(part #)? and is this on a big block or small block?

Cory
I have the summit brand, full roller. The poly nut is pretty much even with the top of the rocker but I was just wondering if this was right since these are used. I figured they should at leat be a 1/8" off the top.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
69cruiser
user title? why?

Mine are Crane full roller rockers, and the poly locks are flush with the top of the adjusting nut, however my dads race car has comp cams full roller rockers and the poly locks on those stick up about 1/8" above the top of the adjusting nut. so it would appear to be dependant on what brand you have.

Crane cams poly locks have a flat bottom that seats on the top of the stud where as the comp cams poly locks have a slightly tapered bottom causing them to sit a little higher up then crane poly locks.

As far as summit goes, i'm assuming they are using flat bottomed poly locks, in which case, it is normal for them to sit flush or slightly under the the top of the adjusting nut.

Cory
12-bolt posi 3.73 gears

Last edited by 69cruiser; 01-20-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I am so smart S M R T
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
jkade

Quote:
Mine are Crane full roller rockers, and the poly locks are flush with the top of the adjusting nut, however my dads race car has comp cams full roller rockers and the poly locks on those stick up about 1/8" above the top of the adjusting nut. so it would appear to be dependant on what brand you have.

Crane cams poly locks have a flat bottom that seats on the top of the stud where as the comp cams poly locks have a slightly tapered bottom causing them to sit a little higher up then crane poly locks.

As far as summit goes, i'm assuming they are using flat bottomed poly locks, in which case, it is normal for them to sit flush or slightly under the the top of the adjusting nut.

Cory
Excuse my dumbness, I am talking about the adjusting nut. How high above the rocker should the adjusting nut sit?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
69cruiser
user title? why?

ohhh... lol yeah sorry, the top of the adjusting nut sits about 1/4" - 3/8" above the top of the rocker on my crane roller rockers. so yeah, you might have the shorter adjusting nuts on yours, I would say call up summit and ask them what they think, because that might be the way they make it, or it is possible that you got the wrong ones.
12-bolt posi 3.73 gears
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
jkade

Quote:
ohhh... lol yeah sorry, the top of the adjusting nut sits about 1/4" - 3/8" above the top of the rocker on my crane roller rockers. so yeah, you might have the shorter adjusting nuts on yours, I would say call up summit and ask them what they think, because that might be the way they make it, or it is possible that you got the wrong ones.
I bought them used and the guy included new ones and I never saw the old ones, I am sure they are too short. Thanks for the help and I guess I should have bought new rockers instead of trying to save a buck.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

heres my comp cam locks...tall valve covers required

Last edited by rage'nrat638; 07-12-2007 at 06:58 AM.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

i have blazer brand and they require tall covers too.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Most do comand use of tall valve covers, but I have seen many different sizes of poly locks due to clearence issues ex. oil sprayers and such. your maine concern should be being able to adjust your rockers properly and also having enough internal thread left above the rocker stud for the locking nut to grip the inside properly you do want the locking nut to come out and run its way through your engine
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
57sailplane

hey i dont wish to rip off the thread, but could someone school me in adjustment of this kind of set up. i mean is the center alan nut the lock screw or as you may say the polly lock wich keeps your outer rocker nut from turning. how tight should you get that screw.. it tightens against the top of the rockers stud right. maybe im way off track but this is the first time i have had such a set up and i want to do it right.. thanks andrew
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane View Post
hey i dont wish to rip off the thread, but could someone school me in adjustment of this kind of set up. i mean is the center alan nut the lock screw or as you may say the polly lock wich keeps your outer rocker nut from turning. how tight should you get that screw.. it tightens against the top of the rockers stud right. maybe im way off track but this is the first time i have had such a set up and i want to do it right.. thanks andrew
after going thru the valve adjustment proceedure turning the engine over to adjust each valve ..(theres a valve adjustment proceedure in the FAQ section)

LINK

TIGHTEN.. the center allen screw to bottom out on the top of the rocker stud. with the wrench on the hex part of the lock and the allen on the screw make sure both are snug.. your done, do this for each rocker.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
454_72_4X4

Another thing of importance. The rocker studs need to have a machined flat surface on the top. If they don't have the flat surface for the allen set screws to tighten down on they will not stay adjusted.
Stock rocker studs are not machined flat and some aftermarket aren't either. I ran into this on my TFS heads so I bought a set of ARP studs, which are machined flat, but they wouldn't fit because the hex part was to big the clear the guide plates. (This shouldn't be a problem on other heads).
I had to have the TFS studs machined.
All this while I was 800 miles from home....
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
jkade

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
jkade

I got the new procomps mounted and the nut sticks out abou a 1/8" above them, so I just got the wrong nuts with the old ones. I contacted the guy that I bought them from off ebay and he refunded me my money to my suprise.