The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thoughts on replacing front/rear windows with new?

Can't say I'm unhappy with the condition of these window frames. The guy I've hired to remove/install the windows with stainless frames charged me $40 to remove these, and he wants another $160 to reinstall. He's got 30 years experience, and comes highly recommended.

He suggests new windows. $65 each for front and rear. They're tinted green like the originals, only the front has a blue (darker) tint band on top. The new windshields are thinner, and he says "hold onto the old one, you never know". The current windshield is pitted and the rear has some scratches. This is a ground up restoration.......Curious what your thoughts are for replacements?

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Thoughts on replacing front/rear windows with new?

Added bonus he says he'll restore the vent windows, install those and the roll-ups for $100. I just buy the parts. I wasn't looking for anyone to install either, but sign me up. That and he gave me a reference for someone to restore stainless, and any other metal I can think of.

Saved me some cash on restoring vent windows, was going to send them out. I like learning to do most of this myself, but I'll pass on windows, body and paint.

BTW, cool dude, but he doesn't know much about these trucks. He thought I had a 454, and figured 402 was for a Malibu or some business. That and he swore my Super was a "Camper Special", "cuz it's a long bed".....Oh yeah, and "paint code or engine is part of the VIN"....One of those, I can't remember.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Well, without any input it seems to me it's looks Vs value. Both original windows are nice, but yeah, considering everything else will appear new, a pitted/scratched window no matter how minor appears a little off. I was just wondering what others thought/experienced.

For what it's worth the window guy says "for show, one point deduction for a scratched/pitted original window, three point deduction for new."
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
old51sedan

Smile Re: Thoughts on replacing front/rear windows with new?

New glass makes a big difference, you will like it.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
New glass makes a big difference, you will like it.
Thanks, that's the route I'm taking, and apparently I'll have two original windows taking up space under the bed. He's giving me the windows at cost, and I set him up with some Alaskan King crab. One of the benefits having a son who's a fisherman.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Can you explain how he got the windshield out? I have always cut the rubber to save a good windshield, did he cut the rubber or somehow remove it without breaking it?
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Yep, he cut the rubber until he could remove the window. He made it look easy, though it was a little more difficult because "they're original"....Been sitting a while, I guess.

Anyway, he cut along the outside of stainless trim using a blade on a long stick. No doubt you can find one, probably a tool of the trade. May have done some slicing from the inside as well...... After he cut, I believe he pulled the stainless off the windshield before we pulled the windshield, likely because I'm reusing the trim. He pulled the trim with the rear window, likely because I'm not reusing it. Course that might explain why he bent the bottom piece.........Ha!.......He wasn't happy, but I don't care, it was far from reusable anyway.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
68bowtie

i'm pulling my clear side glass and vent windows and installing original soft-ray glass that i saved from a previous part-out. both sets are in similar (nice driver) condition. i'm doing it because my truck came with tint and i like using the original stuff when i can. but if i was doing a full restoration i would just go new. so i understand your dilemma.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Some of the aftermarket FRONT W/Shields dont fit like OE. The last one I put in was slightly bowed out across the top. It was a PIA, but it fit with a percision gasket no trim. And it didn't leak. Thank God! ��

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Yep, he cut the rubber until he could remove the window. He made it look easy, though it was a little more difficult because "they're original"....Been sitting a while, I guess.

Anyway, he cut along the outside of stainless trim using a blade on a long stick. No doubt you can find one, probably a tool of the trade. May have done some slicing from the inside as well...... After he cut, I believe he pulled the stainless off the windshield before we pulled the windshield, likely because I'm reusing the trim. He pulled the trim with the rear window, likely because I'm not reusing it. Course that might explain why he bent the bottom piece.........Ha!.......He wasn't happy, but I don't care, it was far from reusable anyway.
Alright that is the way I take them out too. That blade on a stick is a standard carpentry razor blade and the stick is a piece of 3/4" conduit that has been flattened at the end to hold the blade, I watched a guy and asked him about it.

I tried to get a few out with a suction cup and prying back the rubber, eventually they broke. Now I cut out the good ones and kick out the bad ones to save the rubber if it still seems pliable.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

I would say windshields are like oil changes, a maintenance item so go new.
The other glass I would go uses since I want the windows to have the "soft ray" etching on them.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
BugzC10

The price he has quoted for the glass and installation is very reasonable. Especially with having trim. He is not making very much on the glass, if any. Depends on the quality. Besides, if he happens to break the glass during the install, it is on him for another windshield. With a ground up resto...you want new glass. Just my two cents...