The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
Inverter

Re: Anyone can buy an SWB...

Cool.
I do see, though, how most people seem addicted to being distracted when they drive. Radio,phone,eating,drinking. Generally not paying attention to the actual driving and other vehicles. Its no wonder society is moving toward self-driving cars,,nobody wants to be bothered with paying attention in the moment to the experience that is driving.
End sermon.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
Cool.
I do see, though, how most people seem addicted to being distracted when they drive. Radio,phone,eating,drinking. Generally not paying attention to the actual driving and other vehicles. Its no wonder society is moving toward self-driving cars,,nobody wants to be bothered with paying attention in the moment to the experience that is driving.
End sermon.
We + many of the people on these types of forums are still out there though so there's hope.
But, I'm not going to worry about it after I'm gone so I need to get my butt in gear first

Any upgrade to the BB? What are the trans stats?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-17-2020 at 12:08 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Any upgrade to the BB? What are the trans stats?
Missed this earlier...
Block is the original 402 ( truck was a BB/TH400 model ) has a Thumper roller cam n lifters. Iron heads, bored n torque plate honed to a 409. Checked & rebalanced crank, replaced everything else. Its not a powerhouse by modern standards but Im not the boy racer type so 418/438 @ 5900 is good for now. It sounds amazing too.

Trans is a 5 speed TKO model. ( 2.87 first, 1.89 second, 1.28 third, 1.0 forth, .64 fifth.

Even with 373 rear gears the .64 fifth gear is pretty tall. Its great for going from town to town but I dont use it much. I also switched to a 4.11 rear so might be a better fit.

Last edited by Inverter; 03-20-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Inverter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Missed this earlier...
Block is the original 402 ( truck was a BB/TH400 model ) has a Thumper roller cam n lifters. Iron heads, bored n torque plate honed to a 409. Checked & rebalanced crank, replaced everything else. Its not a powerhouse by modern standards but Im not the boy racer type so 418/438 @ 5900 is good for now. It sounds amazing too.

Trans is a 5 speed TKO model. ( 2.87 first, 1.89 second, 1.28 third, 1.0 forth, .64 fifth.

Even with 373 rear gears the .64 fifth gear is pretty tall. Its great for going from town to town but I dont use it much. I also switched to a 4.11 rear so might be a better fit.
Nice. My 'mole' has a flat-top 461 w/rubbed-on 781 ovals & engine dyno'd @ just a tick over 500hp @ <6k RPM. It also had a nice flat torque curve w/just a solid tappet set-up. It will get re-vamped w/some aluminum heads, hyd roller, & EFI before it hits the streets again.

Seriously digging this build. It has nice aftermarket parts but there's more than enough ingenuity w/the stock stuff that one might miss. it's understated!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Inverter

Ahhhh...... aluminum heads .. one day...
Old 03-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Ahhhh...... aluminum heads .. one day...
I understand. Mine was put together a long time ago & the plan from the start was it would eventually get some lighter castings in an effort to have a lighter, powerful, mild vs. peaky final combo. I'll just say I've had more than a few years to save (LS motors didn't exist @ the time ).

My laundry list for weight saving up front was a bunch of aluminum (heads, water pump, intake, radiator, front a-arms, coil-overs, core support). Heck, it would have an aluminum block if I could get one cheap enough LoL. It also has some fiberglass inner wells waiting, & a glass/CF hood is on the list.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #7
smbrouss70

Quote:

Just found this thread, you are doing a fantastic job. Makes me want to go start with another frame and build up from there.

I have the same TKO 600 with 3.73's, and I find that it is a perfect setup for cruising on the interstate at 75 MPH and 2,100 RPM.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
Inverter

Hello Steven
thanks for the words. 75 mph was great for my tko/373 setup I just didnt care for the gap in ratio between 4 & 5. The T56 is nice because it goes from 1.0 to .88 Then to .64. Apples n oranges I know but the feel is much better because there are no big gaps. Im gonna try n improve it with a lower rear gear.