The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Jimmer

88 V30 fiberglassed dash and custom gauges

The dash pad in my 1988 v30 was in pretty bad shape. I had a carpeted dash cover from LMC...it was OK...but still looked bad. I had to do something and did not want to spend a ton of $$ on a new GM pad (I had heard that the repop ones were not that great).

I also needed to mount 2 gauges to monitor the Cummins that I will be dropping in the truck. I purchased a 3 gauge pod for an 03-06 dodge...figuring I could do some custom work on it...but it was still too big.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Jimmer

Re: 88 V30 fiberglassed dash and custom gauges

No one could tell me WHICH A pillar pod they used...since there is not one specifically for the 73-87, so that was out too...plus my 'custom deluxe' does not have any interior trim moulding.

I remembered that there was a article in one of the mags where they put the gauges across the dash by the ac vents. That location was a bit far away for me...I wanted the Pyro and Boost gauges closer.

I read a bunch of articles on fiber-glassing dashes and how to fill the cracks. I took my die grinder with a deburr tool and cleaned out the cracks and removed the broken dash material in all 3 of the speaker grill areas.

The cracks were initially filled with white silicone caulking...2 different layers...and sanded smooth.

Then I glassed over the speaker areas and the cracks...eventually graduating to using lots of bondo...and LOTS of sanding to get that top dash area FLAT.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

That should look and work good in that spot. You just gonna 'glass it all together?
Oh BTW: Check out the Colorado section. Join us locals for stuff.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 02-14-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: BTW
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Jimmer

Will check out the Colorado section...Thanks!

The pod was just too big and long...and looked OK in the pix...but in person...it was like a big ole lesion on the dash...

I am adding more to this thread...just trying to BBQ some steaks in 18 degree wx...

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Understand, it is chilly today for sure. You need to be careful with painting that. Silicone and paint to not mix well.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Jimmer

OK...so I tried the silicone action on the cracks...seems to have held up pretty good. Now was the time to lay down the glass. I did have some felt and did that on the passenger speaker area. used fiberglass mat on the other areas. In hind site I should have fiber-glassed the WHOLE dash...would have been easier...but for the first time...It was learn as you go!

You can see that I used a piece of cardboard with foil on it UNDER the metal grill area...that way the resin and mat did not slump thru.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Jimmer

Here are some more pix of the fiberglass process. I used a bunch of 2 inch scuff pads on my angle die grinder to smooth the glass...and to smooth the large lumps in the bondo.

I liked the felt mat better...easier to sand and clean up vs the fiberglass mat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Jimmer

yep...looks like crap! I was thinking...what have i done and why am I making this mess in my garage! Oh well. I figured if I did not like it I would just buy a repop dash pad and chalk this up to a bad learning experience! LOL

Lots of sanding with a block and 80 grit to get the top of the dash smooth. I sprayed on a light coat of black paint as a guide coat to help with the low spots...but your hand will find them. Keep applying the bondo and keep sanding it off!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Jimmer

Now that 'that' process was underway...I needed to figure out where to mount the 2 gauges...I took a square and marked out a box that I thought the gauges would fit into. After cutting the first hole...I needed to move the top one up a bit.

OK...just noticed that I am out of sequence...I cut the holes before I started the glassing...oh well...feeble brain.

I shot a quick coat of black on the area to see what the gauges would look like and then put the pad back on the dash...

The angle rings are not installed yet.

oh yeah...I used a 2 inch hole saw to cut the dash...went thru like butta!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Jimmer

Ok...so...cut the dash for the gauges and then glassed and bondo'd the heck out of it ...sanding most if it off each time.

FINALLY got it smooth and level...the hardest part was around the angle rings. The rings were epoxied in place and then a skim coat of bondo to fill the seam.

The holes had to be elongated a bit more in the dash...since the gauges sit at a slight angle...

After the bondo sanding was done...I applied 4 or 5 light coats of spray on truck bed liner from a can. This gave a nice texture to the dash. The truck bed liner was topped with duplicolor gloss black carpet and vinyl trim paint from the spray bomb can.

Here are a few more pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Jimmer

Dash is currently installed in the truck...no pictures yet.

I DID have to cut some of the metal behind the dash pad behind the bottom gauge. I wanted to be able to get to the bulb to change if needed...and the mounting lugs extended a bunch. I probably could have just drilled (2) 1/2 inch holes to make room for the mounting studs of the gauge.

While the dash was out I upgraded the dash lights to the 168's and also pained the "behind" bezel in gloss white as others have mentioned to do on the board. Have not check out the difference in light yet...too dang cold and or I am too lazy to go out at night to look! LOL

I have a gauge bezel from a k5 with 6.2 that has the "wait to start" and "water in fuel" or whatever they are lights in the top center. Can't remember. I will rig up some lights for that too.

As for that stereo...this bezel is uncut...I think I will find a radio delete plate and not install my Kenwood back in the dash. Thinking of just running my Zune with FM tuner directly to the amp and using that as the "radio".

Figured that I would post some pix and descriptions on my stuff...to add to the great knowledge on the board. So many times there is a lot of "I did this"...but no photos. Hope that someone will get inspired and go out and do some custom work on their square body!
Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimmer; 02-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Very nice work. And good "how to" of sorts.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Damien

The dash turned out nice. From the pictures, it looks like you may have used too much hardner in the body filler. If you use less hardner, you will have more time to work it and feather the edges when you are spreading it. That means less sanding. The picture below shows what you don't want it to look like when you are done spreading. When it starts to pull and make clumps and pin holes, stop. You may have a whole board of filler, but it is easier to throw it out and start with a fresh batch. You may also want to get a "cheese grater" to give it a rough shape before you start sanding. You should be able to find a cheese grater at a Home Depot type store near the drywall tools. It will look something like the pic. Run the cheese grater over it when the filler sets up and is tacky. If you are taking clumps off, it isn't set up enough yet.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Slick17

Great job. looks sweet. You wanna do mine

Sold 1984 Custom Deluxe K/30, 350 SBC with 4 Speed, 6" Lift, 35" Boggers, Headmen Headers, Custom Full 3" Dual Exhaust, Qualitex Buckets with Flip Center Console
Slick17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Jimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The dash turned out nice. From the pictures, it looks like you may have used too much hardner in the body filler. If you use less hardner, you will have more time to work it and feather the edges when you are spreading it. That means less sanding. The picture below shows what you don't want it to look like when you are done spreading. When it starts to pull and make clumps and pin holes, stop. You may have a whole board of filler, but it is easier to throw it out and start with a fresh batch. You may also want to get a "cheese grater" to give it a rough shape before you start sanding. You should be able to find a cheese grater at a Home Depot type store near the drywall tools. It will look something like the pic. Run the cheese grater over it when the filler sets up and is tacky. If you are taking clumps off, it isn't set up enough yet.

That is true...that was a "i have some on the board...let's use it" moment..plus it was about 30 degrees in my garage! As mentioned a Huge learning experience. I do need to get a cheese grater...would have helped. I appreciate your comments...there is ALWAYS something to learn!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

Man that turned out totally sick!! how did that spray on bed liner tuff work out for ya? thats a coo idea for the texture I might try that too

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Jimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scary View Post
Man that turned out totally sick!! how did that spray on bed liner tuff work out for ya? that's a coo idea for the texture I might try that too
I was expecting it a bit 'heavier' in the texture department...I ended up using about a can and a 1/4 or so, lots of light coats. It is thin and I did not want any runs.

As mentioned I top coated it with black vinyl and carpet paint/dye from Checker/Shucks auto.

Seems to be OK so far...need to give it some time... Remember if you do black...that sh!t needs to be FLAT! I knew I had a few lil 'dips' in the dash...thought I may be able to get away with it...nope...sanded that crap off and another skim coat of filler and sand till the cows come home.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Looks very good! If you ever go on cumminsforum, there are a couple of guys there who have some awesome wood a-pillar gauge pods in their square body chevys w/cummins. One of the guys used to make them but doesn't any longer unfortuanately.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
Mr.Scary
Project Optimus Prime

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!

"I said it b4 and i'll say it agian wiring is my worst enemy":devil:
Mr.Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Damien

30 degrees is a little too cold to be using body filler too, or paint. You don't want any of that stuff to freeze. You could use glazing putty filling small areas. It flows a lot nicer than light weight weight body filler and can be used over paint that has been scuffed lightly.(about 320 grit)