The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
Oklahoma_k5

What firewall and floor do I use?

I have a 52 that I am in the early stages of putting a truck 5.3 4l60 in. Well at least that's the motor I'm planning on. I haven't bought a motor or trans yet.

I have a bunch of rust in the cowl/kick panel area that fixing is my next step in my truck project.

There are a few options out there for floors and firewalls. From looking at pictures and reading build threads I see that a trans tunnel is required. ?????

But my real question.

Some builds have a stock firewall others have a recessed firewall. Thinking about fan clearance, height of engine for oil pan clearance, etc. does anyone have suggestions for keeping the stock firewall or putting a new one in with a recessed middle? I've been looking at the floor from absolute sheet metal that classic parts in Kansas City sells. Trying to figure out if I should put in a recessed firewall too?

Thanks David
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
bk2life
Account Suspended

Re: What firewall and floor do I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma_k5 View Post
I have a 52 that I am in the early stages of putting a truck 5.3 4l60 in. Well at least that's the motor I'm planning on. I haven't bought a motor or trans yet.
Some builds have a stock firewall others have a recessed firewall. Thinking about fan clearance, height of engine for oil pan clearance. Trying to figure out if I should put in a recessed firewall too?
Everyone’s build is different. Get your motor/trans/motor mounts/etc and “put” them in your truck and get all your clearances figured out. Personally with all the work your getting into (which is actually fun in the end) a nice new firewall, floor, trans tunnel all makes the job so much nicer.
You are asking all the right questions, planning your build correctly; you are on the right track. But until that motor and trans are mounted, you’re asking questions that only you will be able to truly answer in the end.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Oklahoma_k5

I totally understand mocking everything in place to figure out clearances.

I guess what I really should ask.

For you guys that have put an ls automatic trans combo and left the stock firewall in, would you do it again or would recess the firewall on the next one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
mknittle

That is sort of a tough question. it depends on what suspention and how low you want the truck. That will effect where the engine sets. As for handeling the lower and farther back the engine sets the better. I did a 75 camaro clip on mine if i had it to do over I would have mounted the clip higher to lower the frame in back. If that were done I would have needed a transmissiom tunnel.The way it is now I have a flat floor and stock firewall with assorted patches.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
not2oldchevy

I am building a 53 5.3 4l60 I didn't modify the tunnel or firewall and everything is fitting ok.
not2oldchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
pgf545

I did a recessed firewall in our truck but the original firewall was mangled. I was playing around and if I remember right the original firewall is about 4 inches recessed and that is all the aftermarket ones are. Check out Cajundraggers build page, I think he want the 5.3 route.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=302780

I have some pictures on my build thread also but we are using a big block so some things might be different. It might give you some ideas though.

Let me know if you have any questions. I don't get on here as much as I would like to but I will try to look a little more so if you post something it might be a couple of days before I can get back to you

Bernie
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Highsider

[/]http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/865w/0024.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote