The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
b-mac

Do I need to Sandblast?..and other paint opinion questions

I am currently working on the inside of the cab of a '49 on an s10.

I want to begin to get pieces in primer as I go, but I wanted to pick you guys brains and see which direction to head?
The outside of this truck will likely stay patina, for a while at least, but I want to get the interior looking sharp.

So...Do I need to sandblast the inside of the cab? What are your thoughts/methods on other types of rust removal? Converters? Sand and wire brush what I can, and hit the rest with Fast-Etch or something? Self etching primer in a rattle can? Is there a rattle can primer that is high quality enough to last?

Maybe you can provide your good-better-best method. Without a trailer, taking it to get sandblasted is difficult, but not impossible. But I would like to avoid it if others have had success with other methods.

I mentioned I'm working on the interior, but the same questions could be asked for the frame and chassis.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Do I need to Sandblast?..and other paint opinion questions

You have many options, best=sand blast, you can sand the surface smooth, with chemicals or sandpaper. There should be no loose particles when you are ready to prime.
Many choices here, use at least a 2 part primer. Sand well before adding color.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
5150scott

B-mac I have done a bunch of sandblasting on trucks for the old man behind me - mostly vintage military type stuff. If you want a real nice finished product keep in mind that you will have sand everywhere (EVERYWHERE) and will be using a spray gun blowing air to apply paint. This will pick up any sand you may have missed and deposit it into your fresh paint. Just keep this in mind when choosing.

I'm doing my own 52 and found out the hard way. All those ribbed channels will hold sand for a long time unless you really work it out. It is fine once cleaned but sucks if you don't.

Good Luck
5150scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
AcampoDave

I just cut the roof off a cab to send to another member. The cab had been blasted and primed prior to the p.o. giving up on it. There was blast material inside the A pillars turning to mud. I then opened up the cowl area to use it for patches on another truck. It was the same way, all kinds of media up in there above the vents, turning into mud. There was also a boatload of media wedged in between the dash and firewall crevice and you guseed it...instant mud, just add water.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
b-mac

So if you guys are leaning away from sand blasting, how do you properly prep a cab for painting?... If you remove the rust, how do you get down in the tight spots...spots where it is impossible to get without blasting?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
AcampoDave

I'll admit that I put more emphasis on getting things done quickly rather than beautifully, but I still want my stuff protected and to look reasonably well done. I use a twisted wire cone brush in my grinder as my #1 paint removal tool. After that I follow up with my d.a or hand sanding. As for the nooks and crannys, I just clean em up as best I can using the same method combined with rust converting chemicals where needed.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
5150scott

Sandblasting is a viable option. Just know that in no way is it cheaper nor quicker when you factor in everything you need to do both before and after. Now if the cab is very rusty you will most likely go this route. Otherwise what AcampoDave does works well.

I've learned that if you sandblast you will need to vacuum the easy stuff first. Blow the hidden stuff as best as you can. Then vacuum what you can. Repeat until satisfied. Then put the thing on a trailer and drive to Canada. By then all the rest of the sand will have shaken down to be vacuumed again.

Good Luck
5150scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
b-mac

Dave,
How do you handle everything up under the dash? My cab sat without glass for quite some time. I've replaced everything that needed it, but lots of surface rust on Everything.
I've seen Kevin Tetz clean what he could of a rusty panel with a DA, and the wipe it with Fast-Etch to get the rust in the pitted spots.
Anyone have any experience with this product?...or what do you use?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
AcampoDave

I handle it by trying not to look under there. But seriously, I'm in California. Rust is slower out here. Therefore, when I consider those unseen areas, I weigh the existing problems against my age at 48 years old. If I determine it won't be a big deal for another 30 years, I just forget about it.