The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
YBNORML

Protecting seats?

I just put new covers on my Blazer seats. They are a vinyl/fabric combo. What are you guys using to protect the fabric inlays? I have three kids and I want the seats to last.

Here's a pic.
Attached Images

YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Protecting seats?

Don't like seeing threads with 0 replies, so I'll toss a few things out.

The leather/vinyl portions are pretty resilient, just keep some armorall wipes in the back seat so you can "Triage" a situation if it happens.

I can't tell, but the center is fabric right? Thats the tough spot, since it can rip/stain easier and you can't just wipe it off. You might want to seriously consider using "Ultra Protector", which is designed for shoes....unless you can find a comparable product in the auto-specific segment.

The reason I mention that stuff, is that I have a decent collection of rare/collectible shoes, and preserving the condition of them is paramount to retaining value. The Ultra Protector is ok for Vinyl/Leather/Suede/Fabric, and its an aerosol so coverage is pretty easy. Its like $7 a can, and you could probably give the seats (or even just the cloth portion) a couple of coats with a single can. You can get the stuff from FootLocker.

The other option, is to get a couple of Mexi-Blankets or the good ol' granny-style seat plastic.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Lee H

I Scotchgaurd mine every few months. I also have a towel folded up under the seat I use when coming from pick a part.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Don't like seeing threads with 0 replies, so I'll toss a few things out.

The leather/vinyl portions are pretty resilient, just keep some armorall wipes in the back seat so you can "Triage" a situation if it happens.

I can't tell, but the center is fabric right? Thats the tough spot, since it can rip/stain easier and you can't just wipe it off. You might want to seriously consider using "Ultra Protector", which is designed for shoes....unless you can find a comparable product in the auto-specific segment.

The reason I mention that stuff, is that I have a decent collection of rare/collectible shoes, and preserving the condition of them is paramount to retaining value. The Ultra Protector is ok for Vinyl/Leather/Suede/Fabric, and its an aerosol so coverage is pretty easy. Its like $7 a can, and you could probably give the seats (or even just the cloth portion) a couple of coats with a single can. You can get the stuff from FootLocker.

The other option, is to get a couple of Mexi-Blankets or the good ol' granny-style seat plastic.
Yeah, the centre is fabric. I never thought of using a shoe protector. That's a good idea. I was thinking Scotchguard, I'll have to compare the two products. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I Scotchgaurd mine every few months. I also have a towel folded up under the seat I use when coming from pick a part.
That's what I was thinking. I also carry an old sheet under my seat. Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i have loose seat covers,i pull them out at a show,same idea as a sheet i guess
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
magicoolbus

Easiest solution is to not have the kids ride in the Blazer. Keep them in the minivan.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
i have loose seat covers,i pull them out at a show,same idea as a sheet i guess
The sheet idea is the best for the drivers seat if I have been working or doing something that would make me dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoolbus View Post
Easiest solution is to not have the kids ride in the Blazer. Keep them in the minivan.
I do not own a minivan. I built a 99' crewcab to haul the kids on a daily basis. As far as putting them in the Blazer for fun drives, I wouldn't build anything that I wouldn't put my family in. I take the family to as many car functions as possible, hopefully one or two of them will develop an interest in cars like their old man.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
hopefully one or two of them will develop an interest in cars like their old man.
50/50, either that or they'll HATE cars, until years later when they realize you were right the whole time...then complain that they wish it could be "how it was when you were younger"

...since all they'll have is natural gas powered hover ships

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
50/50, either that or they'll HATE cars, until years later when they realize you were right the whole time...then complain that they wish it could be "how it was when you were younger"

...since all they'll have is natural gas powered hover ships
Whenever we go to a show the wife always drives something else, usually the crew. That way once the kids get bored, she can take them and leave, hopefully this way they won't feel forced to attend and hate it just on principle.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Check this out...was thinking of this for when I build a roadster blazer in the future....

http://www.hydrobead.com/