The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2023, 09:18 PM   #1
ladybugblazer

Question Fuel Routing Question

My 79 Blazer currently has all rubber fuel line and I've recently started looking into replacing it all because of potential fire hazard etc. A lot of the existing steel line is there on the inside of the frame rail, but the PO just left it and capped it off/cut off some pieces. The existing steel line here that is capped off includes: fuel return, smog, and fuel line. The smog seems to be deleted and there is no charcoal canister on the truck.

The PO also installed an electric fuel pump on the back right of the frame rail facing outside the truck near the fuel tank. He basically then routed all the rubber fuel line on the outside of this frame rail (on the other side on the inner frame rail the existing steel line is there) and then once it got close towards the engine bay just brought it up and connected it to the carb (no mechanical fuel pump b/c electrical). The fuel filter is currently in the middle of the line running down the frame too. The first fuel filter is right before the electric fuel pump and these seem to be the only two fuel filters on the truck.

I want to basically get rid of all the rubber line on the truck and replace it with PTFE 6 AN Braided hose. I've been thinking of running it down the same path as well and was wondering if anybody can see any issues with this. I would rather not remove the existing line right now because there's a lot of things clamped together and I don't wanna mess with including: existing steel lines, active rear brake lines, and wires. I plan on installing insulated fuel line clamps as well all the way down the frame. I also plan on installing a fuel pressure regulator as well and it would be sitting in the back of the engine bay towards the fire wall before the line connects to the current Edelbrock Carburator with an AN fitting. I was just wondering if anybody sees any big issues with doing this or has any past experience. Thanks
ladybugblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Fuel Routing Question

On my LS swaps I use -6 SS line routed along the inboard side of the frame rail. Using the insulated band clamps (Adel) as needed.
Are you running a LS? If so I would mount the fuel pressure regulator near the tank so you have a short run for the return line back into the tank.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 09:50 PM   #3
ladybugblazer

I'm running a 350
Old 09-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #4
ladybugblazer

As far as NHRA goes this is what I'm finding in the 2023 rulebook related to this:

"Lines: All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data
recorder lines) must be metallic, steel braided, or NHRAaccepted “woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches
total (front to rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose
is permitted for connection purposes only; individual injector
nozzle and motorcycle fuel lines are excluded. Fuel lines (except
steel braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be
enclosed in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum
wall thickness, securely mounted as a protection against fuelline rupture. Fuel lines may not be routed in the driveshaft
tunnel. It is mandatory that fuel lines passing supercharger
drive belts be steel braided, NHRA-accepted woven or wovenpushlock, or be enclosed in protective steel tubing. A current
list of NHRA-accepted woven or woven-pushlock fuel lines is
available on NHRARacer.com. All NHRA-accepted fuel lines
must use ends that are specifically designed for the type of fuel
line being used. No hose clamps allowed on NHRA-accepted
fuel lines."

Seems like it only seems to be limited to where it is in regards to the flywheel/bellhousing area