The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
TJ.

Block, shackle flip or spring?

Hey guys, I've purchased a 1972 K10 that I'm importing to Australia.

The truck came with a 4" lift (blocks in the rear) and dual shocks all round.
The previous owner has told me that it's unbearably stiff. I'm aware the dual shocks can't be helping so I've ordered a set of Bilstein 5100's.

So I'm tossing up between getting
- 4 new TC E-Z ride springs
- Leaving the front spring and getting a rear shackle flip
- Leaving the springs/blocks how they are.

I've never driven the truck, so I'm not sure how bad it is. I don't want to make this thing too soft and have a bunch of body roll (I don't want to run sway bars) which I'm worried about with the E-Z Ride springs.

I also don't want to do the shackle flip and have the front way too stiff for the rear.

Or I just bite the bullet and leave it as is, I might get it in Australia and it be very uncomfortable.

The cost is also a factor, with the currency at the moment the springs will cost me around 1250AUD, but I'm willing to pay that if it will make the truck that much nicer to drive.

I've done a lot of searching but haven't seen the comparison between all three, any help/opinions would be great.

Thanks, Todd.

Here's some pics of the setup how it is.

TJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Block, shackle flip or spring?

First I'll say, I've never had one too uncomfortable to drive or ride so rough I didn't want to drive it. Next, you will have no issues with body roll or pitch using EZ-Rides w/o sway bars. The better shocks should help the ride. I wouldn't want to leave the front stiff while using shackle-flip in rear. My choices would be EZ-Rides all around or those up front with shackle-flip in rear

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-22-2015 at 07:32 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
jeffahart

Re: Block, shackle flip or spring?

I recently went from 4" blocks to shackle flip with 1" zero rates. I really can't notice a difference in the rear. But, the shackle flip with the zero rates did level the truck out so I really like the stance now. I did take off the overloads which I really noticed last week when I ended up with a pallet of bricks in the bed. I personally like a stiffer suspension on my trucks. I have Skyjacker soft rides in the front and I do not like them.

I also just put a Dana 60 in the front and I do notice that change. Steers and handles a lot better. I wanted front Discs, so I got the bigger axle while I was at it.

Plus I did a rear axle swap as well to corp14 because front was now 4.56 and I got both axles at same time. If I would not have swapped the rear I would probably still be on blocks with a zero rate.

In the end, if I were you I would probably leave it as is but with the shock change.