The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
CoreyH

My 48 Build

Decided to start a build thread for my 48 Chevy. My grandfather gave me a 55 1st series truck that was sitting in his farm when he bought it in 1960. Was just the cab, front clip and bed. No frame. It sat out in his horse pasture until I brought it home in October last year. No title, previous owner that he bought the land from had passed, didn't want to fight to get a title so sold the cab. Bought a 48 cab and front clip with a title for cheap! Long story short I'm finally getting started on this. I've got the cab blasted now but here s a few before pictures. Plan is to put my 5.3 LS motor with a 4l60e transmission in it and set it on a S-10 frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by CoreyH; 01-21-2017 at 09:14 AM.
CoreyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
CoreyH

Re: My 48 Build

And here it is sandblasted. Picked up a HF 20# blaster, ended up putting a deadman valve on it, Black Blasting media from Menards, and went to town. Didn't turn out too bad. Just about ready to get my cab corners (inners and outers) rocker panels and patch panels for the front side outer cowl panels ordered so I can start cutting this thing up!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
CoreyH

Got 1 door stripped down, took 2 hours to get the rusted screws out and hardware removed. 1 down, I'll get the other one stripped tomorrow and hopefully both doors blasted tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
CoreyH

Door seems to be hanging onto the rust. Went ahead and sprayed the whole door in phosphoric acid. Scrubbed on it with a small wire brush. Tomorrow I'll soak it again and scrub it with scotch-brite pad and dry it. Then hit it again with the blaster.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
gigamanx

Interesting choice to blast and clean your own metal instead of finding someone to do it. Way to dig in! Do you have an S10 donor yet?

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
CoreyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Interesting choice to blast and clean your own metal instead of finding someone to do it. Way to dig in! Do you have an S10 donor yet?
I got a quote of around a grand give or take with time so could be more...figured I'd buy a blaster and do it myself! I don't have a donor S10 yet. Not to that point yet. Cab is pretty much done being blasted. Forgot about the passenger side kick panel that's got to come out and a couple other places I seen when I was wiping it down I've got to hit again. Needs new rockers and both inner/outer cab corners. Want to get the doors blasted first and then epoxy cab/doors before I go to cutting rockers off. Want to make sure door gap is good when I replace those so want it all done. Once cab is done with the metal work I'll get an S10. Just don't want a busted up vehicle sitting outside for long, wife already says it looks like a junk yard by my shop because of the bed and fenders sitting outside lol
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Before you get to cutting on the cab be sure to weld you some braces in the door jambs and criss cross from side to side in the cab to keep everything where its supposed to be
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
CoreyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Before you get to cutting on the cab be sure to weld you some braces in the door jambs and criss cross from side to side in the cab to keep everything where its supposed to be
Thanks. Already got 1x1 square stock for that. Going to get measurements before just to make sure if it does by chance move it'll go back the way it was
Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
joedoh

go man go!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
CoreyH

Angry Re: My 48 Build

Starting to get aggrevated. Keep getting moisture in my pot and clogging my blaster. Guess 3 water seperators isn't enough....
Looks like I might have to redo my main supply line. Only able to blast for about 5 minutes before having to take the tank apart and unclog it. S I haven't gotten much more done since last post
Old 02-02-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
Kevin Mac

Looks like a good start. The best air filter I have used had a roll of toilet paper type material in it. I think O'Reilly stores that sell paint may have them.
Do you know any Cain's from your part of the country?
Kevin
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #12
CoreyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
Looks like a good start. The best air filter I have used had a roll of toilet paper type material in it. I think O'Reilly stores that sell paint may have them.
Do you know any Cain's from your part of the country?
Kevin
I'll get a picture of my filter on the tank in the morning. Never heard of Cains, but I see you're in columbia, I'm in California about an hour from you
Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #13
CoreyH

After fighting and fighting with moisture in my airlines and clogged sandblaster I broke down and replaced my pvc airlines with copper. 2 hours blasting tonight and still no clog!
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
slydogg76

So far so good!
slydogg76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #15
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Looking great!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
alaska gasser

Looking great. Keep at it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote