The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
cadillac_al

Drove a newer truck and love my square 10x more

I tried to plow snow today with my brothers newer truck, like 2008. When it gets slippery the truck won't move. You can hold it to the floor and the engine just idles and won't let you move. What a pain in the a** that is. I thought I buried it but I looked underneath and it was all clear, it was just slippery. I was almost thinking about getting a newer truck for more comfort but I see now that I need to preserve my 76 as long as possible. I don't have the patience for a computer that doesn't know what it's doing. I'm sure there is a way to disable it and make it work like a normal truck. The younger generation will never know how a real truck is supposed to work. Gotta love the old heavy chevys.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
dieseldawg142

Re: Drove a newer truck and love my square 10x more

yup, know what that's like.
i drive a '85 K30 crew and at work we have a fleet of about 20 gm/chev 4by crews from '06 right up till '018.
most of the job sites we're at are usually still mud holes when we show up, and the newer crews just don't do as well in the muck as my old one does.....many times they have been on the strap to get yanked just 10-20 feet further onto firmer dirt...
plus side they do turn much sharper than my old '85....it's funny listening to the guys at work b!tch about the turning radius of the crews (used to their hon-toylet-baru cars...)
i just laugh and tell them they should try my orig land battleship...
one other thing about our newer fleet, every truck save 2 or 3 has the check engine light on permentley...
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
sweetk30

did you try seeing if there was a traction control off button ? that was your problem . it was kicking in . but sadly some vehicles do NOT have a off button .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I tried to plow snow today with my brothers newer truck, like 2008. When it gets slippery the truck won't move. You can hold it to the floor and the engine just idles and won't let you move. What a pain in the a** that is. I thought I buried it but I looked underneath and it was all clear, it was just slippery. I was almost thinking about getting a newer truck for more comfort but I see now that I need to preserve my 76 as long as possible. I don't have the patience for a computer that doesn't know what it's doing. I'm sure there is a way to disable it and make it work like a normal truck. The younger generation will never know how a real truck is supposed to work. Gotta love the old heavy chevys.
The newer late model trucks I've had were all 100x better in every way compared to my c10. Better hp, better mileage, better comfort, better handling, you name it, late models do it better. Just have to know how to use them. But I know how it goes, people are comfortable using something they are familiar with and don't want to learn to use something new.

With that said, the experience of driving my c10 and c30 are way more enjoyable. Driving a late model is pretty mundane, no sounds no smells
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
did you try seeing if there was a traction control off button ? that was your problem . it was kicking in . but sadly some vehicles do NOT have a off button .
I figured there had to be a button somewhere but i couldn't find it. I was thinking it is pretty sad that I have to read the owners manual to get this truck to work. I didn't have time yesterday. I can't wait to try it with the nanny turned off.
77 Chevy K10
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
MikeB

I've had four 60s-80s trucks over the years and enjoy driving and working on them. But as a daily driver, none of them comes even close to to the 2011 F150 Lariat Super Crew I drove for 4 years. 360 HP, 380 lb/ft TQ, and 20+ mpg on the highway, along with 10-way bucket seats, etc, etc. The only issues I had with it were the short 5-1/2 ft bed and large turning radius (145" wheelbase). But the upside was tons of space for people and/or stuff in the backseat. Oh yeah, after 4+ years and around 60K miles, I sold it for 67% of what I paid for it.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
truckin 79

I just bought a Avalanche and love the thing. I have been driving a Sonoma for many years and after drives to and from junk yard. I would be stiff and sore getting out of Sonoma but Avalanche is like sitting in a comfy couch. Avalanche has leather heated seats, z55 air ride, remote start and tons of room with fold down mid-gate not to mention the 6.0 sounds great when you put your foot into it. The 4.10 gears help get the Av off the line since she is a hefty gal. That being said the C10 still owns the coolness factor but I am always looking for a replacement for the uncomfortable bench seat.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
cadillac_al

I've got my daily comfort taken care of by driving Cadillacs. When I go off road I don't want to get stuck on the front lawn. A 4x4 square body would never get stuck on a lawn, even with bald tires. My brother's truck wouldn't get stuck on a lawn either if the computer would just let it move. Apparently the engineers goal was to never let a tire spin. If the tire tries to spin, it is designed to cut power to the engine. Now What? All you can do is sit there. If you floor it and try to dig into some traction the engine just idles and won't let you. I'm sure somebody must have thought of that and there must be a button to disable it. I just couldn't find it. It probably has some picture on it. Makes me love my square more lol.
77 Chevy K10
Old 11-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
I just bought a Avalanche and love the thing. I have been driving a Sonoma for many years and after drives to and from junk yard. I would be stiff and sore getting out of Sonoma but Avalanche is like sitting in a comfy couch. Avalanche has leather heated seats, z55 air ride, remote start and tons of room with fold down mid-gate not to mention the 6.0 sounds great when you put your foot into it. The 4.10 gears help get the Av off the line since she is a hefty gal. That being said the C10 still owns the coolness factor but I am always looking for a replacement for the uncomfortable bench seat.
Well said. 4.10 gears? Wow, I'll bet that thing scoots!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Dead Parrot

2nd on the owners manual for newer vehicles. The traction control button for my 09 Escape is at the base of the center dash console.

One 'feature' I tripped over by accident while reviewing the rather lengthy book was that if a tail brake light is burned out, it won't shift into gear. There is an override but I wonder how many vehicles are towed to the shop with a 'jammed shifter' that the dealer fixes with a new tail light bulb.

Still get some looks of envy from new truck owners while loading the full sized 8' bed on my 75 C10 while they are figuring out how to get those 12' boards to fit in that 5' bed on their sedan substitute pickup.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Still get some looks of envy from new truck owners while loading the full sized 8' bed on my 75 C10 while they are figuring out how to get those 12' boards to fit in that 5' bed on their sedan substitute pickup.
Too funny!

Even my 82's 6-1/2 ft bed seems much longer than my F150's 5-1/2 ft bed. And I can actually step up into it w/o a step ladder! I just don't understand why all the new trucks are so high. Even the new mid-size trucks are just as tall. Must be a styling thing, because needing running boards to get into the truck, and a step ladder to check the fluids is certainly not very owner-friendly.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
sweetk30

my buddy has a 79 ford curier mint condition . the long bed on it and std cab has more room all over the place from his 95 s10 std cab short bed . its funny . the length of the whole trucks side by side is about the same .

and wont shift out of park if bulb blown = FRIGIN STUPID !
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
stanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Definitely that truck has traction control and it must be disengaged if you need the full power required to spin all 4 wheels. TC is a safety thing to prevent a spin-out if you were climbing a grade under icy conditions and is the electronic equivalent to putting a wood block under the gas pedal..
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote