The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Thealien

Surpentine belt question

I have read and like the idea of the surpentine belt to clean up the engine compartment. I know you have to change the waterpump and I believe one of the heater hoses goes to the waterpump. Does the new waterpump have provisions for that heater hose? If not what do I need to do?

Also my truck is a factory AC truck (doesn't presently work). Will it be possible to get my AC working with the type of AC compressors that are on the surpentine belt systems?

Any other things I should be aware of?

This will be going on a 1972 GMC Jimmy 350/350
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Surpentine belt question

I just did this mod a week or so ago, although I'm running the A/C delete pulley . It's not that hard if you have all the S.L.D.'s (S*#tty Little Details) figured out. You will need to get the WP with the Heater Hose provision. Mine came off a 89 or 90 S10 Blazer and had the provision, but I also have one off a '90 Astro Van and it does not have the little nipple for the heater hose. Also, make sure you either get the reverse rotation cooling fan or switch to electric.
Regarding the A/C question. The R4 Compressors that typically come with the J/Y Serp.Systems are designed for R134 and the 67-72 factory systems used R12. I don't know what it takes to convert, but I can't see it being too complicated. I'm sure you'll need new hoses made because I think the newer compressor uses different style / size fittings. And you'll probably have to do some minor wiring for the switches and clutch.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

The newer compressors also don't draw quite as much horsepower as the old ones do, but as mentioned, you'd have to upgrade to a 134a setup.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
neonlarry

On the heater hose return you can also have a nipple soldered to the radiator (thats where the factory return was). Also the setup I have came off a 90's 9C1 Caprice and the A\C compressor uses R12.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote