The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #76
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Found my Great-Grandfathers 1959 GMC Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
....Can someone please answer my Question!!!, it is literally driving me mad...
Buddy, you may be too high string to be working on old cars & trucks if something as minor as original color is "driving you mad".

C'mon, tone down the drama ok?

Yes, the truck easily could have been that turquoise with a white roof. Lots of these trucks were two tone, it was a "thing" in the '50's.

Yes, the headlight trim rings could have been chrome. They're just pot metal but lots of that back then.

You're reminding g me of the kid who was on the board a few months ago that was driving us all crazy with questions cause he was so "passionate" about a particular truck....then up and told us he was gonna buy a VW instead! You're NOT him, are you?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #77
SCHRUMGMC

Probably was me, sorry its just I am trying hard to make it perfect for my Family.I'm looking forward to getting the Generator back in the Truck so I can finally drive it.I didn't know they were pot metal, so I am guessing they were Chrome since the other things were Chrome.What is the best way to patch the inside Cab tops around the windows. its bad on the drivers side, and around where the Speaker once was.What is the real name for the Original Color of that truck I am guessing the Turqoise like Dan stated, I'd like to have the Original Rims sandblasted and painted the original color of the Truck.The steps to the bed are a little rusty with small holes on it, I hope its savable. Once I am able to get more photos of the inside I will post them.I need to sandblast the Buckets and re-paint them Black, but the headlight holder has some rusted holes in around it. I am taking a College class this coming semester on Mechanics so hopefully I'll be able to weld things on my own.As much as this truck means to me, I'd like to get it perfect

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #78
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Yeah it could've been gray or whatever color. Make it the color that makes YOU happy! Doesn't matter if its 100% spot on to what it was, heck these things came with horrible door gaps and what not from the factory....so they were never perfect!
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #79
SCHRUMGMC

Thanks blue, I guess I have OCD or something because everything has to be Perfect and if not I go insane.I'll paint the Doors that Gray color and possibly the Top of the dash White, with a Original Green Dash.Have the Floor Gray as well.I'll find out by my Grandmother if the Top of the Truck was white or just all one color.I know someone with a Rim sandblaster

I wish I knew someone who could fix the rusty problems around the back window
Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #80
coralhead

Foget about the paint right now. You will have a long time before you are putting any paint on this truck. Get all the rust repaired first. Sounds like you will have quite a while saving up for the patch panels and the learning how to weld or pay a body shop which will mean even a longer time before you are ready for primer let alone paint.

Give the paint a rest.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #81
Sideways

Congrats Schrum, looks like the truck is a great start!!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #82
SCHRUMGMC

Well I'm stopping it, drop it.I was nervous about the paint schemes and I am over it now.

One of the coolest things I've noticed on the truck was the Glass Fuel Filter, the Engine and the Transmission has been painted in orange, Im not sure if the Engine has been rebuilt but it looks like it has due to the clean gaskets etc.All it took was for the Carb to be re-built and some new Points in it and he said it cranked right up, which is surprising because I was told the engine was locked up or something but I guess it was some small issues

Thanks Coral, I was honestly thinking the same thing..

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-17-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #83
Sideways

Hey Schrum ,has that still got the six cylinder in it?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #84
SCHRUMGMC

Inline 6 Cylinder 270, with a 3 Speed on the Column

I was thinking of swapping a 350/350 in it but, I decided to just keep it all Original and go from there, and not to mention I also figured out how to drive the 3 speed due to me always driving my car, very excited to see this thing bark again the kid who owned it before me did some major work to the Truck before I bought it so I guess it'll run like a champ

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-17-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #85
Sideways

That's a great truck ,very desirable with the big back window!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #86
SCHRUMGMC

You know, I didn't really know that option was Rare until I came on here I mean I sorta guessed it was special or something but I am glad my Great Grandfather made a terrific choice when buying it, I do wonder if it costed more or so

To be honest, its one of the cleanest Engine bays I have seen by far.I'll post some photos soon.

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-17-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #87
mechanixman

So Based on what I've read, you say all you need is an alternator and a battery?
Have you come up with a list?
If I were you, I'd....
-replace those two items
-go through all the perishables. For instance: There could be a chunk of fuel line that's deteriorating, and could lead to it leaking gas all over the floor- and that's a best case scenario.
Make sure wires aren't corroded and have insulation the whole length of the wire. You don't want any wire grounding out against the frame or body.
-If that's all it needs to start, let's see a video of it running!!
-brakes. you haven't mentioned anything about steering or brakes?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to see how your wheel cylinders are doing.
-a whole lot of saving money
-a whole lot of metal work
-a whole lot of body work
- finally worry about paint and color schemes.
- worry about the chrome and other trim right before the "final" install. (I'm sure you'll take it off again after that)

Does that sound like a plan? Do you have anything like that written down somewhere?

I've been working on my truck for about 8 months now, and I must have come up with 12-15 lists of what needs to be done at various stages, and what needs to be done before the next project can begin.

P.s. You can find out if you're truck had a heater by looking at the water pump. If it has two outlets for heater hoses to connect, then the truck (or at least the motor) came with a heater.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #88
SCHRUMGMC

Thanks Mechanixman

It has all updated Brake lines
New Brakes
Newish Tires

All of the Wiring is there except for the Headlight and Parking lights.

It doesn't have a Gas tank, so its hooked to a Plastic gas can on the bed
Old 11-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #89
mechanixman

No problem
But the big question is still unanswered: Do you have a list?
Watch any of the episodes of Roadkill on youtube. (for those who haven't seen it, it's an online show about two producers of Hot Rod Magazine going on crazy road trips with project cars). The first thing they do is come up with a list of what to do.

Well that's great news on the brakes.
Now when I said check the wiring, I didn't mean "is it there?"
I meant "can I use what's there?"
Make sure that no copper is showing where it's not supposed to, and the wires look like the left side of the pic as opposed to the right.

But Schrum, I know what some of these other guys are talking about. All you need is some direction. Which is what the whole idea of a list is. Come up with a list, stick with it, and life will be soo much easier.

Oh yeah.. did I mention make a list?
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
Old 11-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #90
SCHRUMGMC

Appreciate ya

Its not that I don't listen.I listen, but don't pay attention I'll write a list tomorrow and in steps on what I need to do

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-17-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #91
OrrieG

Glass fuel filter and a plastic gas can for fuel? first investment shoild be a couple of big fire extinguishers. I use to do lists for everything, helps to organize work flow, cash flow and reduces wasted time backtracking and messing stuff you thought you were done with. I use excell, add,subtract,insert and sort by groups and tasks. check off boxes for demo, cleaning, fabrication, paint and install. column for stuff I need to buy.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #92
SCHRUMGMC

I just find it neat for the Glass Filter.I do want to get a Transmission cover BAD though
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #93
coralhead

Schrum....I've been reading back through you posts and notice that you keep referring to the "kid" that you bought the truck from. I take it that you are still in your late teens and unless the "kid " was 10-12 years old that owned and did the work on your truck, you are not allowed to refer to someone as "the kid". That term is reserved for us who are 35+ or so years old to refer to "kids" like you. You need to call him the "dude" or "guy" or "fella" or something like that. That is one of the privliges of getting old.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #94
flashed

Hey Schrum ,the glass gas filter can break and burn your truck to the ground and using a gas can for a fuel supply is only for getting it started ,dont drive with it.I would replace the gas tank and filter before anything else .You can find a good price on gas tanks at RockAuto.com ,there are probably vendors here on this site but Im not familiar with them as my trucks are 1972 and 1974 ,I know nothing about your year truck.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #95
SCHRUMGMC

I have a store for old trucks about 30 minutes away from me that has every part imaginable for my Truck, I guess it would be great to buy a Gas tank and put it in.I have a inline Fuel Filter that I bought for my '71 gmc I had a few months back maybe I can try that.I figured them glass things was a bad juju or something like that, I think its the Original one or so, I found an old one that went to it or our old Tractor in my Grandfathers old Tool box.

Does anyone know what the Emblem bolt things are called?, I would like to put the Front emblem back on
Old 11-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #96
mechanixman

Geez I wish I had store like that near me. It'd make life so much easier.
Those glass filters are pretty cool, but like others have said, they can break.
So... did you make that list yet?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #97
SCHRUMGMC

I'm actually making it as I type this.The store has everything you'll need for your truck
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #98
SCHRUMGMC

Its already been sandblasted.Tires are great.Oil has been changed recently.I have been filling out more applications left and right.Will do
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #99
coralhead

Have you actually looked at the brakes? Just because someone said the just re-did them does not mean it was done properly. The PO on my truck just redid the brakes but there was a mismatch of springs sorta just threw them on to get the drum back on. Jack up the truck, pull the wheels and drums off and just take a look at them but just don't start taking them apart......just look at them and try to understand them. Take some photos and post them if you have any questions.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #100
SCHRUMGMC

Alright I will,He drove it around and what not but It wouldn't hurt to re-check it.I'll post some photos of the underside of the Truck.I need to see if the braces are there I have the Step Braces but I'll post photos and y'all tell me if you see something missing.You know I didn't know the Exhaust stopped right under the cab I thought it went to the back

Is there something supposed to be there to hold the tailgate from going all the way down?

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 11-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Closed Thread