The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
nu2-72

Another ebay deal

After reading Slammed67's thread, I thought I would ask opinions on this.
An auction on ebay was won by myself.
I had sent some emails to several sellers inquiring about other items that they may have but were not listed. One replied and said that he had just listed one of the items on my list. If I would bid the reserve, he would end the auction early. I did.
The auction stated " buyer pays actual shipping costs."
I recieved the item yesterday and thought the shipping sounded a little high. When I checked the invoice, it said $5.00 was added for handling.
I have questioned him and he says all his auctions are this way.

Look, I know it is only $5.00. The world keeps turning. But I believe that any additional fees should be disclosed prior to the deal. This is not "actual shipping".
After all, other people were bidding and he closed the auction for my bid. He set the price. He also has a lot of auctions and at $5.00 per sale he is picking up some nice change.
If the invoice had shown one fee, I would have let it go. I will still let it slide because I do not want negative feedback myself.
I just wish folks were honest and up front.
I still think I got a good deal and am happy with the item. I just don't like surprises.

What do you think?
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
DR67

I agree with you, had a similar experience and was not very happy with it. I don't have a problem with handling costs if they are stated up front so I have a choice.

DR67
Old 03-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Thats a bad deal Kevin, I sell some stuff on ebay and put a shipping price and then return money to buyer if its not that much. But sometimes I lose money on shipping because I don't quote it high enough on my auctions. I only set a price so I don't have to go get a price for shipping when it sells. A handling fee is BS in my book especially if its not in the auction. I had a guy one time email me before auction was over and told me shipping was to high and that I was trying to make extra money on auction. I emailed him back and told him what I do, and then told him the item he was talking about was NOS and it wasn't even up to the price of aftermarket stuff. I can tell you a few more stories on ebay!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
skyhawk1

I won a Craftsman sump pump on ebay and recieved it today. Got it for $26 and he charged $19 something for shipping and required I took insurance. Well I got it today and it was in a box much bigger than the pump with no packing material at all (not even newspaper) and the mailing sticker on it was for $7.31 and not a sign on INSURED on the package anywhere! Ticked me off! I emailed him and told him I was very disappointed.
Oceana, West Virginia
skyhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 PM   #5
nu2-72

I see I am not alone. I would have paid another $5.oo for the item if he had priced it at that. He did not.
I would like to go on record here and now. I have done alot of buying and almost no selling. Some because I am not ready yet and some because I do not have a clue of pricing.
BUT, when I do sell something, if you are not sure of something, don't agree on something, anything. Talk to me. I will be as fair as can be. I make mistakes and learn something new every day. There will be no hidden agendas here.
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 03-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

skyhawk, I would post negative feedback on that one if it did not say insurance was required. Besides the only one protected by insurance is you...it is your option to chose it, normally. Most UPS shipments are insured for up $100 free anyway!

The handling could be shipping materials which is high but could be considered a legitimate cost for those that sell lots of stuff on ebay. Boxes, tape and wrapping takes time and one might consider them legitimate expenses. But in your case I would be really upset. I always check to see what is said about shipping costs and handling charges because I buy and sell on ebay and try to keep it fair...I know the charges. I don't buy from sellers that list outrageous shipping and handling fees...because I know they are padding their sale!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY. A DEAL IS A DEAL. WHEN I BUY OR SELL SOMETHING ON EBAY, & IT STATES "ACTUAL SHIPPING" THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS..... ACTUAL SHIPPING TO THE PENNY & NO HANDLING CHARGES WHATSOEVER. ANYTHING ELSE IS MISREPRESENTATION. I UNDERSTAND IT'S ONLY $5 & IS NOT WORTH GETTING ALL WORKED UP OVER, BUT IT'S STILL NOT RIGHT. I WOULD EMAIL THE SELLER, & SEND HIM A COPY OF THE AUCTION & THE INVOICE & LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, & GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TO MAKE IT RIGHT.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #8
Blue Beard

Generally when I sell on ebay I simply state buyer pays shipping and handling.

I won't quote and amount since I don't know where it will end up. And until it is packed, weight is not known.

Like you, I don't mind paying the extra. But not way over. I don't know if they are charging for fuel to drive to town or what but it's noticable.

I think some of the people add extra because it didn't sell as high as they wanted, which is just plain theft to me.

Sorry to hear this happened.

But to be honest ebay is starting to draw a lot of bad repore....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
nu2-72

Did that John. He says he will list it in future auctions and he should have spelled it out for me. Guess I am kinda dumb or something. Even read the small print.
I have been taken for worse. It is the principle of it to me. And I was bidding on some of his other auctions. Larger items that may cost much more for handling. I have stopped bidding. I would rather buy from this board whenever possible. I have had excellent results here.
I find as I get older, I shake things off more and laugh more. Try not to be so serious.
Speaking of that, did you hear the one about-- LOL
2011 Harley Street Glide
Old 03-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #10
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

as far as buyer pays auctal shipping i stay away from those because they could add alot extra and if you dont pay then its neg. feedback

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:17 AM   #11
ChopTop

I recently have had a few bad experiences myself on ebay. I feel the buyer should have the right to refuse to pay an auction if the cost of shipping is too high. I don't care if the cost is too high because of added handling costs or not. If I go to an auction locally I don't have any surprises like on ebay. The buyer is the one who is forking over the money, the buyer should be the one in control here, not the seller! I have won auctions where I got a great deal, and others I kinda got robbed, but I bid that high knowing I'm taking a chance. As far as I'm concerned if the cost of shipping makes the whole deal a ripoff, I should'nt have to pay - PERIOD!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:40 AM   #12
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I always state mine as "buyer pays actual calculated shipping" and no handling. sometimes if an item is light, I'll have the shipping in the description since I know ahead of time what it will cost. for heavier Items, I'll normally state what the item wieghs and give my zip code. After it sells and I get the buyers zip code, I'll figure shipping at the USPS website and let them know what it will be. Sometimes it may be 1 or 2 bucks high, and sometimes it's 1 or 2 bucks low.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:03 AM   #13
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

The only time I do actual shipping is with big, heavy stuff that I really don't know how much it's going to cost...smaller items, like computer parts, though, I can get a pretty close estimate on those, and list a flat shipping and handling fee. If the actual is higher, so be it...

The other thing I do is I generally put the Buy It Now price high enough where I also offer free shipping...buyers love it, for one, and it makes my life easier as well.

So far, I've done 57 deals where I've gotten feedback, and every single one has been a positive. A few others I didn't get feedback from, and two recently I would've left feedback - if eBay hadn't cancelled their accounts already.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #14
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

WOW -- SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE HAD BAD EXPERIANCES ON EBAY. I GUESS I'VE JUST BEEN LUCKY. I'VE BOUGHT & SOLD OVER 1000 ITEMS, & HAVE ONLY HAD A HANDFUL OF UNSATISTFACTORY TRANSACTIONS. I GUESS UNDERSTANDING THE RULES IS THE KEY.
Quote:
I feel the buyer should have the right to refuse to pay an auction if the cost of shipping is too high
IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SHIPPING COST.. IT IS THE BIDDERS RESPONCABILITY TO ASK THE SELLER BEFORE THE AUCTION IS ENDED. ONCE THE AUCTION IS ENDED.. ALL NEGOCIATIONS ARE FINISHED.
Quote:
as far as buyer pays auctal shipping i stay away from those because they could add alot extra and if you dont pay then its neg. feedback
ONCE AGAIN .. THE SELLER HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING WHERE YOU LIVE... IT COST MORE TO SHIP A 25 CENT BRICK 3000 MILES ,THAN IT'S WORTH.
Quote:
The buyer is the one who is forking over the money, the buyer should be the one in control here, not the seller!
IT'S NOT A CONTROL ISSUE (& MY EXWIFE SAID I WAS A CONTROL FREAK. GEEESH) FIND OUT ABOUT ALL COSTS AHEAD OF TIME, THAT WAY YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION, ON WETHER TO BID OR NOT.
I'VE BEEN BUYING & SELLING STUFF ON EBAY FOR ABOUT 4 OR 5 YEARS, AND IT CAN BE FUN. I'VE BOUGHT AN AWFUL LOT OF THINGS THAT I COULDN'T BUY NEW. (NO LONGER AVAILABLE) IT'S NOT FOR EVERY PURCHASE, & THERE IS A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TRUST THAT BOTH PARTIES HAVE TO HAVE IN EACH OTHER. ANY TIME YOU BUY OR SELL SOMETHING OVER THE INTERNET, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ALL THE RULES, & WILL SCREW IT UP. (BUYERS & SELLERS INCLUDED)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 03-07-2003, 05:27 PM   #15
ChopTop

a perfect world?

There have been several auctions that I emailed sellers for shipping info and never recieved a response. There are several sellers who just want to make up shipping costs at thier conveinence at auctions end. If it were a perfect world we would know all costs before the auction is over. That is not the case on ebay. To say it's the buyers responsiblility to know these costs before bidding is pure rubbish in my eyes. The one with the cash has the power.

Ebay has gone from bad to worse. I have had many excellent auctions transpire, but the few bad ones are getting notice.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #16
junkyardjohn

IF THE SELLER WON'T RESPOND TO A QUESTION..... I JUST DON'T BID ON HIS STUFF. I FIGURE HE MUST NOT WANT TO SELL IT TO ME VERY BAD. I SIMPLY DON'T SAY I'LL BUY SOMETHING (ANYTHING) IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S GOING TO COST ME. IF I WANT IT BAD ENOUGH TO TAKE A CHANCE ...... I DON'T WHINE & COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CHARGES...... BUT THATS MY CHOICE.

Quote:
To say it's the buyers responsiblility to know these costs before bidding is pure rubbish in my eyes. The one with the cash has the power.
KNOWING THE FULL PRICE BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO BUY IS RUBBISH??

THE ONE WITH THE CASH HAS ALL THE POWER??? UNLESS IT'S SOMETHING YOU REALLY NEED, OR WANT, & HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR A LONG LONG TIME. THERES AN AWFUL LOT OF THINGS I'D RATHER HAVE THAN CASH.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH