The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
BrianStep72

3-speed linkage locked up!

Friends,
I know this is common with these trucks and I've fiddled with it for a few hours now.. It's LOCKED UP. I've disconnected both linkages from the column and I'm resetting the column to neutral, now to get the truck in neutral and hook it all back up...

YUCK!

Does anybody have a link to some instructions to get this in neutral and setup correctly again? some tips would be appreciated.

stuck in atlanta!

Brian
1972 Chevy C10 Stepside Pickup
1987 Chevy IROC Z28 Camaro 1LE+TPI - racecar
2004 Chevy Tahoe
2013 Chevy Silverado Tow Rig
--------------------------------------
http://www.bowtieracing.org
BrianStep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
pissonNOS

usually i just get someone to step on the clutch and i grab the prybar and jiggle the linkage pops right loose. after that spray it wiht some HOWES lubricant works the best ive found. Anohter good way to prevent this is wiht a floor shift
Old 07-27-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
jewels.

hmmm - first, let me say that i am not sure if i understand the problem correctly. however, i have a lock-up problem with my 3-sp on the column that happens quite frequently, and it is an easy fix.

the problem occurs if you try and shift too fast from 1st to 2nd, as in you don't bother to pull towards yourself with the shift lever, to take the linkage out of first. you must pull towards yourself enough before you push away from you and up into 2nd. if you dont, the shifter will go into neutral, but the transmission will still remain in 1st gear.

this happens to me all the time. there is no need to pull anything apart. just get under the hood, and give the 1st/reverse rod a good pull - and put the transmission, and the linkage back into neutral to match with the column shifter.

of course, this solution sounds a little simple compared to what you have suggested, so maybe this wont work for you. esp since you are talking about takin it all apart. like i said, i am not sure if i understand your problem, but i thought this might help.

good luck, and let us know what happens!
ciao!
jewels.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Brian,look inside the column(underhood).There is a + shaped(roughly) linkage that fits into a slot above and below it.It's inside the column where the shift levers come out.When you pull the lever towards you it engages either the top or bottom U and moves it according to the direction you move the shift lever.If the + does not engage it will not shift the truck.I think your + has slipped past the U it fits in and when you try to shift after putting everything back together you still don't have the + aligned with the U.

^
+
V

It looks kinda like this when it's in neutral and lined up.

^
+
V

Yours will probably look something like this,except everything is closer and the wing of one of the V pieces is keeping the + from being in the center so it can line up.

If this doesn't help P.M. me with your phone # and I'll try to talk you thru it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:28 AM   #5
jimfulco

Please put the parking brake on before you fix this. My dad had a 69 Ford truck that you almost couldn't drive without locking it like that. He finally got fed up & rigged a piece of string with a pulley & a hole in the firewall so you just had to push in the clutch & pull on the string under the dash for an instant fix.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Your transmission cover assembly could be worn. There is a lever setup inside that should prevent the transmission from going into two gears or into neutral and still be in gear. The parts wear and then it can happen.

Adjusting the levers on column may help but the the transmission itself can be contributing to your frustration.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote