The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #2976
truckzilla

Re: Finally "Silvers" build thread!! ('78 swb 2wd silverado)

After seeing the video a couple of times, although I didn't know him personally, I know I would have liked to have. I kinda feel in a way I knew him a little from following his build and seeing his generous comments on so many other build threads! I know Dennis would have been encouraging me with mine once it actually gets posted and going.

An addiction does not define a person! If we're honest with ourselves, we're all addicted to one thing or another!

May justice prevail so that his spirit may rest in peace!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #2977
LEEVON

To any family and friends: Dennis was obviously talented and loved. I don't think you need to worry about his legacy, the best parts of his life speak for themselves. I lost my sister 2 years ago in a similar and tragic way, which the authorities did not adequately investigate. All I have to offer is one little piece of my own sorrow for your situation which hopefully will lift the burden if just for a second. Thoughts and prayers. // Leevon
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #2978
yellowGT

Truly in shock... I didnt know Dennis but did see the build back in the motor stages of it. Late last night I was reading the whole build again and found myself asleep so I figured I would continue reading today and to my surprise I found out that he is gone. That truly sucks in many ways. I know the excitement that he was feeling when he was doing his little dance on that video and sadly he is not around with us to enjoy the build like we all would of liked him to. My prayers for him and his family. RIP Dennis.

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #2979
nenesis.442

dennis where did you get the tonneau cover and what seats did you use
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #2980
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenesis.442 View Post
dennis where did you get the tonneau cover and what seats did you use
Didn't read the past few pages of this thread did you?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #2981
wills02pala

Check this out guys! The truth is finally coming out and is making local news! Dennis will always live on!

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...s-who-shot-him
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #2982
6772owner
Gearhead

WOW, I cant believe all of this, at least it sounds like it might bring change to light.

R.I.P. Dennis

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #2983
mrhino
Account Suspended

Trigger happy cops for sure, but why did they want into his safe. what were they doing there to begin with? is that normal police procedure?. Smells like dirty cops
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #2984
SCOTI

Dirty cops? That's quite a leap.... It's a bad deal for the police & the deceased.

Split second decisions can be the difference between life & death in a situation like this. If/when you run, they don't know why & to what means you will go to to remain free. The best thing is to avoid anything that possibly puts those authorized to utilize deadly force in that situation (don't run from the police; don't even think of reaching for a firearm after running from the police, etc...).

Do I think the shooting of Dennis was just? No, from the details it seems as if several officers were on edge & possibly reacted to quickly.

Was there some 'creative' wording to cover things up or incorrect details released to early thus forming 2 different narratives of the events that unfolded that day? Only a more thorough investigation will tell. Lets hope that's what continues to happen.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #2985
wills02pala

SCOTI, you don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to figure this one out. Have you not been reading the whole story about what all is going on around here in Sacramento lately? Really it's the main message the family is trying to get out. Ever since DA Jan Scully in 2011 pulled all funding for police shooting investigations they have skyrocketed. I don't agree that all cops are bad, but in this case something is not right. Who is watching the watchmen, themselves! That's just plain wrong, perhaps if this were your family you might think about it a little more.

You need to re-read, listen and watch all the videos and news stories posted. The Sheriffs department is on tape admitting Dennis NEVER fired his gun, period! I also know for a fact, and the detective confirms it again on tape Dennis admitted he had a gun locked in the safe. At this point he has handcuffed in front and asked to open it, even after telling them this. This is against police procedure. Stop beating around the bush bro, and realize although what Dennis was up to was no good he should be in jail, not dead. His own father even admits that.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #2986
bigblock73
yeller

You know, I read everything, watched the videos, and have really struggled with all of this.

On one hand, I thought Dennis was a really nice guy. I enjoyed talking with him on the phone, and took pleasure in helping him with his truck by providing several pieces for it including the gauge brackets, speaker brackets and firewall cover. he was really appreciative and truly thankful for the help.

On the other hand, knowing he dealt drugs and participated in that kind of activity which I deeply despise, and likely used that money to buy parts from me...makes me sick and irritates me. Had I known, I would have sold him a thing.

So, as you can see...I am torn on how I feel about this whole thing. Did he deserve to die...no, did he eff up and make some mistakes which led to his death...yes.

Its hard for me to defend a man, when he made many dicisions which negatively effect people outside this site and his family and friends. Think of all the people he sold drugs to...and how it affected them and the people who love them.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #2987
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills02pala View Post
SCOTI, you don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to figure this one out. Have you not been reading the whole story about what all is going on around here in Sacramento lately? Really it's the main message the family is trying to get out. Ever since DA Jan Scully in 2011 pulled all funding for police shooting investigations they have skyrocketed. I don't agree that all cops are bad, but in this case something is not right. Who is watching the watchmen, themselves! That's just plain wrong, perhaps if this were your family you might think about it a little more.

You need to re-read, listen and watch all the videos and news stories posted. The Sheriffs department is on tape admitting Dennis NEVER fired his gun, period! I also know for a fact, and the detective confirms it again on tape Dennis admitted he had a gun locked in the safe. At this point he has handcuffed in front and asked to open it, even after telling them this. This is against police procedure. Stop beating around the bush bro, and realize although what Dennis was up to was no good he should be in jail, not dead. His own father even admits that.

I have viewed the video clips & read the posted details. Not following procedure is a long way from suggesting that there were 'dirty cops' w/an agenda.

If it was my brother (or even myself), the 1st thing I would say was it was nobodys fault but his own. Dennis put himself in that situation by his choices. Dennis put the police officers on a heightened defensive by running. Those circumstances combined w/questionable prodcedural execution ultimately lead to this tragedy; regardless if it was right or wrong. Had Dennis not done the drugs or ran from the house to prevent being detained, would those same officers have shot him in his home?

I'm not saying Dennis is or was a bad guy nor am I on a soapbox preaching what's right & wrong. I have friends that were or still are involved in drugs to some degree & I like them just fine. I worry about their safety but avoid them in certain situations because of their choices. I also have friends who are police officers. I like them too but worry even more for their safety.

What about looking @ it from a law enforcement officers perspective. Perhaps if one of them were from my/your family, we might think about it differently.... Not every person who does drugs & runs from the police might be as harmless/honest as Dennis was. They see it way more than the rest of us & have to be cautious as it can mean life or death for them. If you make those poor decisions like in this situation, you put yourself into the category of being capable of anything including harming an officer of the law who is only doing his job.

Not a rocket scientist nor am I beating around any bush...

I don't feel Dennis 'deserved' anything beyond a trip to jail & then court but the choices he made put him in that situation. It wasn't something you, I, or anyone else did. My sincerest condolances are extended to his family.
The officers in this situation should be held accountable for their actions if procedures weren't followed correctly.
I believe situations like this do require an outside source for review for impartiality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #2988
LEEVON

That's the root of the issue, there may be no way to know if their actions were justified. Just like the cops failed to adequately investigate my sister's death, because they had prejudice and pre-conceived notions about her. It's a helpless feeling, being at the mercy of the "authorities" with no recourse regardless of the circumstance. Just a bad deal, all the way around.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #2989
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
You know, I read everything, watched the videos, and have really struggled with all of this.

On one hand, I thought Dennis was a really nice guy. I enjoyed talking with him on the phone, and took pleasure in helping him with his truck by providing several pieces for it including the gauge brackets, speaker brackets and firewall cover. he was really appreciative and truly thankful for the help.

On the other hand, knowing he dealt drugs and participated in that kind of activity which I deeply despise, and likely used that money to buy parts from me...makes me sick and irritates me. Had I known, I would have sold him a thing.

So, as you can see...I am torn on how I feel about this whole thing. Did he deserve to die...no, did he eff up and make some mistakes which led to his death...yes.

Its hard for me to defend a man, when he made many dicisions which negatively effect people outside this site and his family and friends. Think of all the people he sold drugs to...and how it affected them and the people who love them.
Just because someone had a issue with usage, doesnt automatically mean they were a "dealer". The police said Suspected dealer. Unless anyone has it on video, there is no proof he did anything other than use.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #2990
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Just because someone had a issue with usage, doesnt automatically mean they were a "dealer". The police said Suspected dealer. Unless anyone has it on video, there is no proof he did anything other than use.
I am solely going off what I read, and by the fact that those who knew Dennis and more about this than I do, did not come out and say he wasn't as a result of the report. If I am wrong, then I sincerely apologize.

Last edited by bigblock73; 11-23-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #2991
trac209

I've been following this story as well,and I'm glad to see somebody has seen through the bull**** in the death of Denis. Regardless of what he did or suspected of you don't just shoot a man in cold blood. And if he's in custody those "officers' had no business worrying about what was in there when they were told in advance. Denis should have just refused to open it period,that was his mistake. I do place value on the service and sacrafice LEO'S make every day but when mistakes are made don't try and bs your way out,that's the reason they lose trust not by the mistakes themselves imho.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #2992
truckzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills02pala View Post
Check this out guys! The truth is finally coming out and is making local news! Dennis will always live on!

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...s-who-shot-him
Thanks for posting that!

To me, his cooperation may have been what ended up getting him killed. Sadly, he should have just refused to open it. The ultimate d'uh moment seems to be the cop who yelled gun after Dennis already told them there was one in there! It would be interesting to know if the officer who was accidentally kicked in the face by Dennis was the one who fired first, now having an excuse of self defence. Anyway, by trying to sway opinion by saying he was a dealer, suspected or otherwise, it makes people think he was some sort of hard core bad guy who deserved to get it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #2993
truckzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
And having an addiction is not the same as making a living from it like the police tried to imply. They knew what they were saying.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #2994
LEEVON

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/22/507...l#mi_rss=Crime
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #2995
82_454_shorty

My God! I had this build bookmarked but hadn't checked back on it until today.

A real shock and a loss for all of us on the site.

RIP Dennis. I hope that the family is successful in getting some final closure on this.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2996
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
From this article^

Quote:
Knowing Dean to be armed but uncertain of his condition, deputies surrounded the house and tried unsuccessfully to make contact with him. Two hours later, a robot sent inside relayed images of Dean lying unresponsive in the bedroom. SWAT officers brought in a paramedic, who pronounced him dead.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/22/507...#storylink=cpy
It really took two hours to determine he'd been fatally shot?
Wow! that some realcrime fighters working the streets there.....
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #2997
trac209

Apparently the area is plagued with this sort of thing lately. It sounds like from the video they've all but decided deadly force was warranted and are just going to end up dropping the issue. Idk how the police can investigate their own and answer to nobody. Dennis was surrounded and any movement he made for that gun was going to get himself killed he must have known that. So why would he try to get the drop on ten officers while handcuffed??????
Makes no bloody sense. I'm shocked they haven't tried to say suicide by cop theory. The only guy who knows for certain was left for 2 hours to die while they tried to get their story straight. It's too bad too because if you start out lying any other conclusion won't be trusted by the family and they'll never know what happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #2998
f.monroe

It's a sad situation for all involved. I have read the responses to The death of a well liked board member only to come up with one conclusion, choices have consequences. The officers involved , Dennis himself, etc all made choices. If any one of those involved had made a different choice then the consequences would have surely been different. We all know the consequences for Dennis . We do not what they will be for the officers and families of all involved but I am sure we can al agree that they will not be pleasant for anyone that was there that day. We also need to keep in mind that members of Dennis' family may read this post. I think it should be locked . Lets remember the good conversation, compliments, input, etc that Dennis brought to the board and admire his last accomplishment,,,,,,,"SILVER".

I am not saying I agree or disagree with any of the postings above. Depending on how you look at it you can draw your own conclusions. I just think it should be locked because Dennis can not respond and there are always three sides to all stories, yours , mine ,and what really happened. Unfortunately we will never know the third one.

R.I.P Dennis Dean

Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2999
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

I totally agree with the above post.

I feel sympathy for all involved as well but I cringe every time this thread gets bumped.

I feel this thread has gone in an entirely new direction, which people have every right to discuss and keep questioning the facts about his untimely death.

But I feel that Dennis can be honored by those of us that interacted with him or were inspired by his build. He contributed a great deal of information to this board and that should be celebrated!!

What can we do with this thread to ensure it is given the respect it deserves??

Can we:

- ask how would his family like his thread treated?

- close the build section of the thread and make it a 'sticky' so it is up at the top with that black 1977 'retrobuild'

- create a new thread with the last half of the thread so we can keep up on the information being released about the shootings

- or should we do nothing and let it keep going on as is?

- are there any other ideas?

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #3000
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
I totally agree with the above post.

I feel sympathy for all involved as well but I cringe every time this thread gets bumped.

I feel this thread has gone in an entirely new direction, which people have every right to discuss and keep questioning the facts about his untimely death.

But I feel that Dennis can be honored by those of us that interacted with him or were inspired by his build. He contributed a great deal of information to this board and that should be celebrated!!

What can we do with this thread to ensure it is given the respect it deserves??

Can we:

- ask how would his family like his thread treated?

- close the build section of the thread and make it a 'sticky' so it is up at the top with that black 1977 'retrobuild'

- create a new thread with the last half of the thread so we can keep up on the information being released about the shootings

- or should we do nothing and let it keep going on as is?

- are there any other ideas?
I like the lock and sticky idea myself. I hate to see this bumped, I didn't know him personally but like I said, his build really inspired me to break into mine even though it will never be as nice as Silver.
Closed Thread