The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
engrdean

Water Pump Pulley Mounting Problems

I have had the water pump off of my truck for a while now and recently went to put things back together this last weekend. Since I originally had it off, I have either lost or mistakenly thrown away the original water pump. I have gone through several different pumps in an attempt to replace it and think that I have finally found the right one. All of the brackets line up great for the AC, however, when I went to put the pulley and fan back on, the bolt holes do not line up. The shaft size is correct, but the bolt holes on the pump where the pulley mounts are spaced about a half inch closer together than those on the fan and the pulley which I took off the truck.

Do I still have the wrong pump? Did the mounting hole spacing change at some point over the years? I don't mind going to the salvage yard and looking for a fan and pulley that will fit, but I am worried that it won't line up with the rest of my pulleys if this pump is for a completely different vehicle. This seems unlikely since everything else lines up perfect, but I guess I am just trying to figure out if I did something wrong or I can keep moving forward as is.

The truck is a 1970 C10 with a 350, all stock. The water pump was bought at a local parts store and I am not sure what the brand is. It is a short style pump which I am fairly certain is correct (the AC is on the passenger side of the truck). I would appreciate any thoughts the experts out there might have.
engrdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
engrdean

Re: Water Pump Pulley Mounting Problems

I should have mentioned that I would be happy to buy a new pulley and fan if someone can point me the right direction on Summit or somewhere similar.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
justtime520

I had the same problem. do you have a short water pump. i had to spend a half hour at checkers going through the options till i found the one with eight holes for two style fan mounting
justtime520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
my67c20

Pictured items came a short pump 350. Spacer dia is 5/8". Let me know if this will work.
Attached Images

my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
TexC-10

Did your new water pump come with 4 or 8 holes where the pully bolts up? You need the one with the 8 holes. It has 2 sets of 4 holes. One for your pully and one for something else, not sure what. one set is 1-1/4" center to center and one is 1-1/2" center to center
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
engrdean

My water pump only has 4 holes, so it sounds like I have the wrong pump. Does anyone happen to have a part number on a pump which will work? I have tried at least 3 at this point I think, and everytime I go in they tell me I need a completely different one and they don't know why they gave me the last one. I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for at this point, but a part number would sure make life easy. It is the short pump that I am looking for, not a long pump.

Thanks for the offer my67c20, but it sounds like I just need to find the right pump.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
my67c20

Guess i will just have to keep kicking those parts around.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
justtime520

OK bro found your part number from checkers. However you don't have one in Missouri but they do ship. Part Number. 58137. it has 8 mounting holes and I had the dude at checkers pull a long water pump to compare and he confirmed it is the short pump. Its $15 and $5 core. here is a link

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...ype=54&PTSet=A
justtime520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
WIDESIDE72

I ran into a similar problem a while back with my 72. The P.O had installed a later model 350 w/ LWP and related drive. I had (or thought I had) all of the parts to swap it back to SWP. I mounted up the SWP that I have had on the shelf for yrs, and the pulley wouldn't line up. (It had 4 holes.) I went to the local Vauto ZOne, told them I needed a water pump for a 72 C10 w/ a 350. He brought it out, I opened the box, and there it was... a pump with an 8 bolt hub. Problem solved! I guess I was lucky!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
vectorit
What?

I just put a new water pump on my 68 last weekend. (short water pump for a SBC).

Got a new manufactured one from NAPA for $46.06

Part number on the receipt I am looking at right now is: TFW 43106
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote