The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
rmr_69c10

Smile The 69 CST/71 Stepside Mashup

This will be the start of a multi year effort... The door panel and glove box note the cab is from a 69 CST longbed. The axle stamping and the short frame with disk brakes and stepside bed appear to be off a 71.

In it's current state it is drivable as the PO had the engine & trans rebuilt as follows and it has less than 100 miles on it:
350 bored 30 over
freshly machined 882 heads (I'm guessing the engine was a 71, as these heads seem less likely on a 69)
Edelbrock 2701 Performer EPS manifold
Unknown street/torque friendly cam (likely similar to the Edelbrock you'd get for the 2701 manifold) - The PO couldn't recall what the builder used
Carter AFB Model 9635 625CFM Carb
New stock style fuel pump
New MSD HEI Distributor
700R4 rebuilt and with a shift kit for firmer street shifts (funny I did this same shift kit to my 92 S10 4L60 20 years ago)

First order of business is to finish a few safety related items so I can get it inspected and get plates. I already fixed the lights that didn't work, put in new 3 point seat belts, added a lighted plate holder for the rear, and got a rear view mirror. Now I just need to get the gas pedal mounted as driving with the linkage is kind of hard.

Then, I plan to work on a variety of things as time allows. It needs better front shocks (too soft) and the sway bar bushings are shot. The diff cover is slightly damaged. It will need new glass and seals with the exception of the passenger vent window and maybe the rear window (it has some scratches but it's not too bad). I have new window regulators to put in when I do get around to taking the doors apart to replace the glass. And, as you can see in the pics, I'm going to want to fill all the holes from the trim molding and old mirrors. I need to decide if I want to learn to weld or just suck up the cost of paying for it. I don't know anyone who is a welder for this type of work (just a pipeline guy and he's out of town now). Wish my grandfather was still around, this would be easy for him.

Otherwise, it will be preference items as I go. Eventually it will get a Vintage Air kit, Dakota Digital dash, and stereo after I get it painted and do the wooden bed. Longer term, I may consider engine parts or a crate engine if I don't like the performance. Once I pay my house off in 2 more years, I'll be debt free and have a lot more extra cash.

Finally, here are some issues I've encountered and how I'm dealing with them (thanks to some past posts here).

1. The temp guage didn't work after I ran and hooked up a new wire (as it was missing under the hood). Like others in the past, I had to add a ground lead right on the back of the temp gauge and now it works fine.

2. It stumbles a bit when in gear or coming to a stop. It also accelerates ok, but not as strong as I would think it should when varying the throttle but not floored. I need to verify the timing is set properly and the carb doesn't have an issue, but I see people who have similar syptoms with these carbs and new fuel pumps that put out 6+ PSI of fuel pressure, which is too much for these Carter/Edelbrock AFB carbs. I'm hoping that's my easy fix if it's not something else obvious.

Last, I need to confirm my gear ratio soon. The axle stamping says it's a 3.07 open rear end. It most certainly is open, but I need to get the tach hooked up once I get the HEI pigtail connector. Then I can plug in my RPMs at a given speed (track by GPS in my phone) and determine for sure what gears I have. If anyone cares, I have spreadsheet that I'd be happy to share. I got from another forum I'm on and I modified it for my truck. You can punch in your tire size (255/60-15 in my case), trans gears, and rear end gear. It will give you RPMs in each gear in 5 MPH increments. This way I can determine for sure what my rear gear is and see how changing it will affect RPM.

It's going to be a slow process as I really only have time on the weekends. But, I'll try to keep updating this as I accomplish anything worthwhile and share what I learn along the way. Or what I relearn - I can't believe it's been 20+ years since I've owned & worked on a non-computer controlled carbed vehicle.
Attached Images

rmr_69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: The 69 CST/71 Stepside Mashup

Looks like a great project!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
rmr_69c10

As you can see in the pics, new 3 point belts with GM logo. They have nice mounting brackets to use the stock holes in the floor and fit with the gas tank in place.

And, the new mirror so I can pass inspection. Note all the holes to fill door from previous mirrors. That won't be fun.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
rmr_69c10

I've spent a bit more time doing lots of little things. New front shocks, new front poly sway bushings, carb spacer to reduce heat soak, and got the temp gauge and aftermarket tach hooked up since the PO left them disconnected. Also got matching ignition and door locks installed since the PO gave me one very worn key that only worked in the ignition and no door keys.

I haven't had as much time to spend on this as I had hoped. Got a lot of hail damage to the house in a storm in April so I've been dealing with that. The hope is to get it registered and street legal in June. Then, start tackling some of the body related issues during the rest of the year while being able to take it out for a spin occasionally. Next year the hope would be to get it painted, and then new front & door glass, install the new window regulators I have, and begin to finishing touches such as new tail lights, rear bumper, etc.