The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
dzwestwindsor

Exhaust manifold stuck to the head

Hi guys,

I'm trying to remove the exhaust manifold on a 1971 chevy 350. Since 2 of the bolts connecting the manifold to the cylinder head are rounded, I used a Dremel to grind the bolt heads. Now, I have 4 bolts removed and 2 bolt heads grinded down. That's all the bolts holding the manifold to the head (6), correct?

I'm asking because the manifold will not budge at all. I've whacked it many many times with a mallet and sprayed PBblaster, but to no avail. It would even budge...

Does the exhaust manifold fit into the cylinder head? Like does it fit into the head like a socket? If all the bolts are actually removed, would it stay on by itself or should it just fall off?

Also, is it okay to take a bar and pry the thing off, pressing on the valve cover to get leverage? Or will that damage the valve cover?

I'm having trouble figuring out what's still holding it on. Just flat out rust? Or am I forgetting to remove a bolt from somewhere? Any advice?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dzwestwindsor; 07-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.
dzwestwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote