The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
hopkinschevelle

03 truck turn signals wont work

when i first bought my truck the turn signals worked intermitantly. Almost always in the morning they wouldnt work then id get off work and they would work all the sudden.

I had called the previous owner to see if there was something i needed to know about it and he said just to blow some dust cleaner in the fuse box. Never helped the problem.

Anyone have any ideas what could be keeping my turn signals from working. They dont work at all now.
hopkinschevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
tecky11

Re: 03 truck turn signals wont work

shot in the dark, do your hazzard lights work? if not replace the flasher unit, not sure where they are in your truck though
tecky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
hopkinschevelle

changed the hazard flasher relay, still no turn signals. anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
tecky11

maybe bad ground wire?
if it is still under warranty take it to dealer and have them fix it

Last edited by tecky11; 10-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
tecky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
clinebarger

Probably the turn signal switch/multifunction switch. have you checked all the fuses?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
hopkinschevelle

I wouldnt even know where to start looking for bad ground wires
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Probably the turn signal switch/multifunction switch.
X2

Had to change the multifunction switch on my niece’s 1999 Olds Aurora last weekend for the same intermittent turn signal issue.

Easy to change but be sure you remove all of the airbag fuses before removing the actual bag.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
hopkinschevelle

Good idea, how do you go about removing the air bag?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinschevelle View Post
Good idea, how do you go about removing the air bag?
Take two cheap BIC pens, pull the ink tubes out, look on the sides of the steering wheel behind the airbag, you will see a small hole on either side. Stick the ink tubes in these little holes and push carefully, it will release two clips that hold the airbag in. Make sure you pull the airbag fuses, and give it about 30 min to make sure the capacitors have discharged.

Did you replace the hazard flasher unit? Or just the relay? My brother's 01 had this problem, where signals would not work, and if he pushed the hazard button the lights would light up solid with no flash. Replaced that unit and it fixed the problem.
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
hopkinschevelle

so i guess im dumb but what do i need to do after i get the air bag out? take off the steering wheel?

what part am i looking for? anyone have any pics or diagrams?

thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
clinebarger

Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in Restraint Systems. CAUTION: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.
Remove the upper and lower trim covers.
Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2). IMPORTANT: The abrasion sleeve located on the steering column wire harness assembly must be reinstalled. Make note of what connector is coming out of the abrasion sleeve for installation purposes.
Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR system coil connector.

Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).

Remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) from the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2).
Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column tilt head assembly.

Insallation

Install the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) onto the steering column tilt head assembly.
Screw the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) into the turn signal and multifunction assembly (2). NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. IMPORTANT: Be sure that the electrical contact of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) rests on the turn signal cancel cam assembly. Tighten
Tighten the top pan head tapping screw (1) to 3 N.m (30 lb in).
Tighten the side pan head tapping screw (3) to 7 N.m (62 lb in).

Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).

Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the SIR coil connector.

Install the wire harness assembly (1) into the wire harness strap (2). IMPORTANT: The abrasion sleeve must be installed back onto the steering column wire harness assembly. The ignition lock cylinder case wires and connector must be hanging out of the middle of the abrasion sleeve.
Install the upper and lower trim covers.
Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in Restraint Systems.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote