The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Mykk

Idea for a flatbed 2004 regular cab

Hey Guys,

My name is Mykk, I don't frequently post but I do check out other's work in appreciation.

This is my 04 Silverado:

In my truck is this 11:1, .040" over roller cam 350:

Recently, while removing the 4L60E transmission my truck has a mishap. The parking brake didn't hold and the truck rolled backwards off my driveway and into my pipe corral horse arena.

The custom shaved tailgate, aftermarket LED tail lights and the driveside bed were hurt pretty bad (tough to see in the photo below, but 1/2 way up the bed was stress creased from the impact, as well as the wheel well bulged outward). It could be repaired by a paint and body guy, which I am not.

The pipe on the right is what caught my run away truck.

The bed of my truck was becoming an eye sore as it was, the inside was serious dented up from the years. The DIY spray in bed liner started chipping away within a week. The tailgate was beginning to crack where the handle was shaved.

When I get the new transmission in place I decided to take the bed off the truck and explore my options. I would rather drive a 'Work in progress" than a wrecked truck.

One idea I had, and keep an open mind while reading this, was to build a very simple & short flatbed that would fit between the rear wheels. Simplicity is key, no stake posts, headache racks, nothing. A flat surface with a few tie down locations so I could still move some things when needed.

I wasn't 100% sold on the idea, but the more I began to think about it the more it was growing on me. I even hatched a plan of using a single large sheet if polished diamond tread aluminum cut into a similar template as below to make a 'Evil' coffin shape in a Hot Rod & Kustom flavor:

I'm hoping I'll be able to successfully pull off this idea in real life as I see it in my head. But really it makes a interesting & custom solution to a problem. I also like the idea loosing the weight of the bed, except for that it's over the rear wheels. I might mount the 20gal fuel cell, nitrous bottle and battery behind the axle to help with weight distribution.

What do you guys think, a 'Hot Rod' flatbed 2004 Silverado? It would be unique, as if my motor swap isn't unique enough.

Cheers ~Mykk

Last edited by Mykk; 04-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Mykk

Re: Idea for a flatbed 2004 regular cab

In case you were wondering how a carbed 350 runs in a newer truck:

Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Mykk

As indicated by the amount of views and lack of opinions expressed I can see that this idea isn't blowing over with the masses, as expected. That is something I can work with.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Nice truck! Interesting motor setup, ever had it on a dyno or ran it on the track? My personal preference is flatbeds belong on work trucks, but that's just my opinion............ which isn't worth much. Hope it works out for you, looks like a nice flatbed.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

Cool truck! I'm guessing it originally had a 4.3 V6? Sorry to hear about the accident that kinda stuff sucks.

I dunno about the flat bed idea. Maybe with all terrains, a lift kit, and a brush guard on the front? I dunno it just doesn't go with the theme you have. Keep in mind, you do want some weight over the rear. I've ridden in a truck with no bed and the rear tires we're bouncing all over the place, as in leaving the pavement. Good luck hooking up too. Even just the absence of the spare tire in my truck made it really bad in the rain.

If that bed is as bad as you say it is, I would look for a decent replacement bed and have it painted. You may even get lucky and find a nice one the same color.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Mykk

It was originally a 4.3L.

The coffin idea is nixed for now, doesn't appear to be enough room too cover the frame and suspension and maintain the 'Coffin' shape. I'm back to designing square beds, come time to cutting/drilling/folding/bending it will be easier to manage.

here is an idea for a template:

The 'speed holes' will actually just be for tie down locations. And I had the idea to bend the rear most plate at a 45-50 degree angle and use reproduction 61 'vette tail lights.

Once the bed is off the truck I will play around in photoshop with pics of the naked back half and come up with a digital bed design, that will be the selling point on this project.

I've been having a difficult time finding pics online of other modern trucks that have a sporty/race image with a flat bed, I wonder why?! Until I looked across pond over to the crazy Aussies. Apparently converting (or hot rodding pre-existing) their Holden Utes with Tray's (flatbeds) is a popular modification. They even make race cars and exhibition cars out of them too.

I wasn't intending on building a bed to look like these Utes, but I'm glad to see they're out there. I've inspired a few engine swaps like mine in a couple similar year trucks, maybe the flatbed craze will hop waters and come to the states too. (...maybe)

Cheers ~Mykk

Last edited by Mykk; 04-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.