The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #651
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Hey Grizz, I enjoy your day-in-the-life-of posts. I have never been to the UK and it's cool to me to see the differences. And the similarities. Also, hearing about what you like about the US.

Where you live is beautiful. Thames, beach, fields, your home and garden. I can't quite get the layout in my head because there seem to be so many nooks and crannies but I like how you fix and maintain on it over time.

Sorry about the loss of Harley. Grew up with cats and have never been a huge fan but would have loved a cat like that.

A huge theme in your thread is the giving/sharing/finding things for others. Sometimes you snag something that I bet you would like to keep but you pass it along to someone who will like it even more -- outstanding.

I will now be following along. I forget to pop over here to the burban/blazer side very often, but will more now so that I can keep up.
Thank you so very much for your response and words.

You are right.

I love to fix things, be it humans or material things.

My eyes are always open for passing good stuff on and some stuff is nice but as you say, someone else may need it more.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #652
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Any carport builders out there ?

So for the clever engineering and applied geometry types out there.

I am sure this is not a difficult thing, and if you add in CAD then even easier.

Right....... I will try explain and hope it makes abstract sense to some of you.

Simply put, I want to build an approximately 5 meter Long by 6 meter Wide carport, in front of and to the right of my existing garage.

Part of the 5 meter “depth” has to overhang the existing garage door without impairing its opening

Then........ I have a woodwork shed, built on a 200mm high plinth, and also slightly taller than average where the 5 meter side, away from the garage wall, needs to overhang the shed roof, while allowing a sloping drop off for rain and melting snow that tapers from the entrance side. It also faces into the majority of our wind and rain direction at that low end.

I want the 6 meter wide front end and entrance span to be as non intrusive as possible, so uprights need to be against the sides of the overall area.

Which means a potential upright support pillar at 4 meters against the garage front gable wall between the doors, leaving as much as a meter overhanging at about 2.6 meter or 8’6” off the floor and supported from an upright post with cantilevered support outward. Make any sense yet?

Right.

The rear post, next to the woodwork shed is near 5 meters from the garage rear corner, but needs to still overhang the shed to create the 6 meter width that I am looking to create.

Out at the front of the carport, the 4th upright pillar is going to be about where the brick red colour wall is at the moment, that wall plus the grey wall are all coming down and the wall is getting rebuilt about where the red wall is now, including post no 4 the front one, which is at 6 meters from the garage.

I am happy with a short lifespan roofing solution of ply and glued down felt roofing which one would hope will make 8 years before needing replacement.

So......

How do I address the weird geometry on two planes as well as ensuring the energy/mass transfer is done sensibly?

Amateur plan drawing.

Idea of where the posts would go, showing offset and set back.

Let the fun begin.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #653
LT7A

As luck would have it, I am a builder, and coincidentally about to start putting up my own 20'x30' carport. I think what you want to build can be relatively simple and I would bet I would mostly be confirming ideas you already have. I have a couple ideas to throw into the mix as well. I can't offer CAD but can offer some experience.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #654
Grizz1963

Quote:
Hey Grizz, I enjoy your day-in-the-life-of posts. I have never been to the UK and it's cool to me to see the differences. And the similarities. Also, hearing about what you like about the US.

Where you live is beautiful. Thames, beach, fields, your home and garden. I can't quite get the layout in my head because there seem to be so many nooks and crannies but I like how you fix and maintain on it over time.

Sorry about the loss of Harley. Grew up with cats and have never been a huge fan but would have loved a cat like that.

A huge theme in your thread is the giving/sharing/finding things for others. Sometimes you snag something that I bet you would like to keep but you pass it along to someone who will like it even more -- outstanding.

I will now be following along. I forget to pop over here to the burban/blazer side very often, but will more now so that I can keep up.
I thought I would copy and paste a comment from a good friend whom I have only met twice.

He was here yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
Indeed - this is the way of the Grizz and it's why we play so nicely together.

We share this common vision for the redistribution of 'things'

It's the only form of communism that ever worked because the first rule is that you never keep score

All my close friends follow the same basic way of life and outlook.

Live and let live.

Too many focus on only themselves.

Sharing ferls great mostly.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #655
Grizz1963

Quote:
As luck would have it, I am a builder, and coincidentally about to start putting up my own 20'x30' carport. I think what you want to build can be relatively simple and I would bet I would mostly be confirming ideas you already have. I have a couple ideas to throw into the mix as well. I can't offer CAD but can offer some experience.
Part of my love of forums and the culture on here is all about the learning.

My posts are often to learn but also to teach and forewarn others not to make the mistakes I already made.

My friend Fil “Sparkplug” suggested I cut a hole in the roof and floor and mount the post on the plinth anf get square geometry with only the slope to worry about.

So I am happy for you to start educating or making suggestions.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #656
Grizz1963

Russians....

Stas in Siberia

Doing his day job.

Sunset

Cooking pork steaks, we may collaborate on a cook book one day

And 5 hours of time zone difference away, Vladimir was elsewhere in Russia in his workshop, having a beer, wearing a familiar Primark T-Shirt.

Seems dark beer rules.

Later, Sally popped in to drop off two sets of vintage Halogen spotlights, from a friends loft.

Minutes after posting about going to the scrap merchants to look for some trolley wheels, in order to build a cab trolley, but only scoring a wheelbarrow for neighbour Sam,. A buddy, Fil “Sparkplug” from Cambridge posted up these pics, offering free home delivery...... This week.

Yup, life certainly is good

Wood is rotten, but I was only looking for wheels to reuse.

Suddenly more pieces were falling into place.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #657
Grizz1963

Getting the paving corrected as part of this carport build is necessary

The camera loses some of the damage perception but a plank gives you the idea at least.

While out at at the shops and in the scrapyard on Saturday, Mate PaulF whose hydraulic press I used for the Chevy Blazer suspension parts and whose brake line making kit I got to use to make up the C10’s new brake lines And I were chatting on Messenger Video, as you do, when he asked me what job was next, so I mentioned that the paving, posted above here, has to be repaired and the base compacted and redone.

“Do you have a whacker plate or compactor ?” He asked, of. Course I did not, so he offered to go fetch his from a friend who had used it and deliver it to my place in an hour or two.

Plus have a coffee and a chat.

Bargain !!

Couple of hours later a Nissan Cube reversed down my drive.

Giving birth to this handy tool.

The weather turned in the afternoon which stopped play, but a good weekend in all.

Saturday evening sunset.

Sunday rolled in and I had planned to get started on lifting the paving and repairing the subsidence

Facebook said it was 6 years since the last MOT on the C10

But Sally who came over by 08.00 had other ideas as the weather still sucked.

Also, I had managed to get a second short term lodger, a welder on a maintenance contract at a local power station.

So it may just be 7 weeks or less, but cash ion the bank is cash in the bank.

So Sally insisted I clear out some space for the new guy. She also has a new lodger, which will help fill the hole her cars engine blowing up had made in her savings.

So it seems I was stuck indoors all day.

Found some food from 2009 and more recently.

Not impressed with Sally Poking the Bear.

Chatting with Craig at one point, he was photobombed by Lilly.

Back to cleaning the house, every surface, flor etc washed and cleaned.

Sally is a menace with a camera.

Eventually got it all wrapped up, and to be honest, I am pleased, and thankful for all the help she gave me too.

Hope to find time over the next weekend to sort the paving if the weather plays along.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:04 AM   #658
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Part of my love of forums and the culture on here is all about the learning.

My posts are often to learn but also to teach and forewarn others not to make the mistakes I already made.

My friend Fil “Sparkplug” suggested I cut a hole in the roof and floor and mount the post on the plinth anf get square geometry with only the slope to worry about.

So I am happy for you to start educating or making suggestions.
I'm going to treat your sketch like it's oriented north to the top. You can correct me if that's wrong or we can do LR/Up Down.

Your posts look like they are sited well and you can run 2 east/west beams over the top of them. And then run joists n/s, which will allow you to cantilever the overhang. I don't think you have to poke the NE one through the roof to get a square although I understand the idea.

Starting from the ground, I suggest anchoring it somehow or putting significant weight at the posts. We don't want the wind to put it in Mickey's yard and 5mx6m is a lot of sail area.

I'm going to speak in "Imperial" dimensions and you can translate as needed 4x4 posts can carry the weight, but will need to be braced so it can resist lateral movement (not fold up).

Does it shed water to the "north" or to the south?

Have you considered plastic or sheet metal roofing? Will probably allow you to go down one size in beams and joists. Your spans will probably mean that you need to venture into engineered material. What we call glu-lam beams and truss-joists. 5 to 6 meters is a lot. If you can live with any posts out in the middle, that will help.

Your bracing will want to be a knee brace at least 1/4 of the way down the post (height). Attached across/ through, the grain, no end-screwing or toe-nailing, and please keep the description in context, ha.

That's a pretty good start. I now recall that you may be using some steel galvanized posts?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #659
Grizz1963

Quote:
I'm going to treat your sketch like it's oriented north to the top. You can correct me if that's wrong or we can do LR/Up Down.

Your posts look like they are sited well and you can run 2 east/west beams over the top of them. And then run joists n/s, which will allow you to cantilever the overhang. I don't think you have to poke the NE one through the roof to get a square although I understand the idea.

Starting from the ground, I suggest anchoring it somehow or putting significant weight at the posts. We don't want the wind to put it in Mickey's yard and 5mx6m is a lot of sail area.

I'm going to speak in "Imperial" dimensions and you can translate as needed 4x4 posts can carry the weight, but will need to be braced so it can resist lateral movement (not fold up).

Does it shed water to the "north" or to the south?

Have you considered plastic or sheet metal roofing? Will probably allow you to go down one size in beams and joists. Your spans will probably mean that you need to venture into engineered material. What we call glu-lam beams and truss-joists. 5 to 6 meters is a lot. If you can live with any posts out in the middle, that will help.

Your bracing will want to be a knee brace at least 1/4 of the way down the post (height). Attached across/ through, the grain, no end-screwing or toe-nailing, and please keep the description in context, ha.

That's a pretty good start. I now recall that you may be using some steel galvanized posts?

Morning

08.30 here.

Not sure about current time in Washington state.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

You did get the orientation right.

Water will be draining toward the rear, which to me is West, and the shed boundary.

I will have to look at corrugated sheet metal, but will bypass the clear materials like polycarbonate as it fades and looks rubbish in the end.

I am also contemplating getting the roof built by someone else, as my back is so deteriorated and working alone is not going to cut it, sometimes paying a pro is a much cheaper option.

Weirdly, as a South African, I grew up with the Metric system But due to my varied interests, I always auto-convert to Imperial.

I also AMA fan of over engineering rather than regrets.

I will see how this unfolds.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #660
Grizz1963

Angry Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

There is an old traditional saying: “Never drink with a Russian unless you are a Russian”

Last night, through the wonders of Whatsapp and technology, I joined Vladimir and friends Oleg and Yelena in Olegs garage for a drink or two.

Vodka, Beer and Bacardi flowed for over an hour.

Between our broken Russian , English and Google Translate, we had a good visit.

As we know, if you have no photos, it did not happen.

Yelena was hostess, pouring vodka and matching the guys all the way.

Charming lady and mother of Olegs three daughters.

Following my previous visits with Vieux and guided tours of his shop and his neighbors shops, I would absolutely recommend you reach out to him via PM to exchange numbers and have a chat or text conversation.
Whatsapp is free after all.

это отличный способ поделиться нашими культурами и интересами.
спасибо владимир
Old 06-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #661
LT7A

Quote:

I am also contemplating getting the roof built by someone else, as my back is so deteriorated and working alone is not going to cut it, sometimes paying a pro is a much cheaper option.

I will see how this unfolds.
I hope I didn't say anything to discourage you from taking this on. Would need buddies at some point for beams and joists, but the carpentry isn't at all beyond you. That said, given my profession, I don't suppose I should discourage you from having it built, ha.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #662
Grizz1963

Quote:
I hope I didn't say anything to discourage you from taking this on. Would need buddies at some point for beams and joists, but the carpentry isn't at all beyond you. That said, given my profession, I don't suppose I should discourage you from having it built, ha.
100% ypu did not and could not move me away if I chose to stay or the other way around.

I agree that it is all within my skill set or abilities but my back hurting or dropping me on the floor at times means I have to get sensible too.

I enjoy doing these things.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #663
LT7A

Quote:
100% ypu did not and could not move me away if I chose to stay or the other way around.
Curiously strong response, to the point of wondering how my comment elicited it. But since I was quoted, it doesn't leave much to doubt.

I was merely concerned that your enthusiasm seemed less after my input.

Followed by an innocuous (intendedly, anyway) comment, humorously (in intent), to point out that it is bad policy for a builder to discourage someone from seeking the services of a builder.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:26 AM   #664
Grizz1963

Quote:
Curiously strong response, to the point of wondering how my comment elicited it. But since I was quoted, it doesn't leave much to doubt.

I was merely concerned that your enthusiasm seemed less after my input.

Followed by an innocuous (intendedly, anyway) comment, humorously (in intent), to point out that it is bad policy for a builder to discourage someone from seeking the services of a builder.
Morning

Not sure how to reply to your reply really.

I just agreed with what you had said, and said that I would ultimately do whatever I did, like most people do, one follows advice and possibly even combinations of advice from various sources.

I saw your tongue in cheek comment, and again, I would usually seek out the tradesman who is happy to share knowledge and advice.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #665
Grizz1963

No photos as Photobucket messing around last 12 days and they do not reply to their Helpdesk.

But.....

First Covid-19 Boot-fair of the year.

Rain was forecast, soon;y 1/3 of field filled.

Still got lucky.

Needed a multi plug adapter to repair/replace one I drove over years ago......

£1.00 each or take the lot for £5.00 so I got 9 units.

Also bought 14 GU10 lightbulbs for £5.00

And a very nice garden rake for £2.00

Came home, had breakfast, now headed out to garage to mix some cement in @Johnnybravo ‘s mixer to lay some more high density blocks in the ‘compressor room” that my interfering friend @PaulY suggested I build Next to the woodwork shed while relocating the wall on the drive. Those blocks are heavy for sure.....

Good idea Paul.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:07 AM   #666
Grizz1963

Taken two days off work.

Photophukit is “Back online” but now I need to figure how to actually upload and use it on iPad and App.

Grrrrrrr...../

Galaxy has been working, carrying loads of builder rubble unearthed while digging and moving soil in the garden.

Also ran a quick errand for @Johnnybravo whom I hope to make a cuppa for today, if he is not racing around, as he usually has to do when doing an extended pickup trip.

Carport and extended drive work continues.

Measured last night, and have gained 500mm of driveway space, door to wall is now 6.3 meter max, so should fit many American cars or big stuff.

Even parking the Blazer was always interesting with about 450mm space to the wall once parked up.

Chainsaw next, to remove the tree stump that started it all.

Later.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:00 AM   #667
LT7A

Quote:
Morning

Not sure how to reply to your reply really.

I just agreed with what you had said, and said that I would ultimately do whatever I did, like most people do, one follows advice and possibly even combinations of advice from various sources.
All good with me, I was curious enough to ask though, because a phrase like "100% you did not and could not move me away if I chose to stay" in my accustomed vernacular would be the words of someone responding to a challenge. So I thought I better check on it since my intent was only to help.

To that end, I will make a recommendation. Since you have two existing structures and all but one post is adjacent to a structure, you have the opportunity to do a cable span and some sort of material cover. There are a couple of wood carports in my neighborhood that approximate the size you are looking for, and they both have beams and multiple posts on two sides and clear-span between them, rather than clear-span in both directions. Tonight I saw an ingenious cable cover over a set of nice cars and got me to thinking.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:31 AM   #668
Grizz1963

This is a test.

The “new Photophukit” is not yet imbedded in my phone or iPad.

Lets see if this actually works.

Pic uplosded

Img tag lifted.

Mickey brought around some cherries from his tree

In the mean time the heat and layong 19kg blocks along with some other yard jobs yesterday certainly kicked my butt.

More to come.

Hopefully.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #669
Grizz1963

Quote:
All good with me, I was curious enough to ask though, because a phrase like "100% you did not and could not move me away if I chose to stay" in my accustomed vernacular would be the words of someone responding to a challenge. So I thought I better check on it since my intent was only to help.

To that end, I will make a recommendation. Since you have two existing structures and all but one post is adjacent to a structure, you have the opportunity to do a cable span and some sort of material cover. There are a couple of wood carports in my neighborhood that approximate the size you are looking for, and they both have beams and multiple posts on two sides and clear-span between them, rather than clear-span in both directions. Tonight I saw an ingenious cable cover over a set of nice cars and got me to thinking.

Morning

At the moment it is hot and humid here.

Currently, they way it is unfolding, there will be two posts.
One 5 meters from the garage, and the other about 6.2 meters.
Then, I am now planning to make up two, 6mm x 200mm wall plates around 1 meter long, with a significant gusseted top brace around 300mm long, as well as a 6mm x 50mm strip welded down the length of the wall plates to add rigidity and strength before adding 8 large Rawl bolts to each plate.
On top of these will rest the cross beams.

I am planning to call in a professional at this point to do metal roofing for me along with the structure.

All this of course is subject to change....
Old 06-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #670
Grizz1963

Uploaded some photos. About 22.

Need to find time to sit, relax.... try use links and do a write up.

I have been busy and busy.

Bootfairs were one good, one a bust today.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #671
Grizz1963

Right.

New Photobucket, may be better, may not.

Possibly two weeks behind on pics, due to website relaunch.

Thought I would just post up some pics of Dennis’s world.

Firstly, Archer......

Puppy still cute, and follows Dennis everywhere.

Smooth criminal.

Wing and full,set of stabilisers now fitted.

Biggest problem will be not being able to sit on the tailgate, drinking beer and watching stuff happen at car shows or burnout competitions

Big problem with doing this body swap of 1966 onto 2015

Getting stuff like the steering fitted through the bulkhead.

Starting to look like a nasty race truck.

Guard dog or chain gang?

Front end waiting to be refitted.

Space.

More and more new panels seem to have found their way onto the 66.

Business end.

Stepping back

And to close this post off.

Next generation.....

Grandson, drawn to all things mechanical.

More later.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #672
Grizz1963

Still trying to come to grips with the new Photobucket layout.

Not impressed

Have to use an app to pull the links.

Website seems to suck.

Prozac made a return to the valley, sans NASCAR stickers

Sally took the pic.

Also on FB was a reminder that a year ago we were watching races in the Blazer.

So, back to the restructure down at the garage.

Started by lifting the paving.

Helped of course.

Also got to prep for the first post by digging a 25 inch deep hole.

And making up the positioning board for the threaded studs

Poured

Made a small box to keep the paving and sand clear from the post mount until the post is shortened and ready.

Once that was done, I decided to build a single level wall to help keep the hedge under control in the long term.

Blocks are 19kg each.

New lodger is a welder, but likes a beer and to do some physical work after work.

Suits me.

So wall done.

I also decided to add little drains between every alternative block, in case the rain ever was a problem.

And a thick wedge of cement from behind to stop anything from unseating the blocks.

Once the concrete had gone off, I waited 24 hrs and then used PaulF’s compactor to do a final setting of the paving stones/

‘So after this I could start on the next job.....

This wall has a few cracks, so needed rebuilding and moving to improve overall usability

‘Red wall” also needed to go and be moved.

So made a start, removing loads of soil from behind the wall.

I moved 11 loads over the street to where trucks had greatest deep trench that the council will never repair, but where people like to par,.

And after all of that, Andy bought me a beer.

Later.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #673
LT7A

Good progress. That thing is going to be stout. You'll be able to park on it if you want to. I forgot how sturdy those columns you already had were. Just three of them though, right? They look strong enough that if bolted together they could be used as beams and span the distance. It sounds like you got a plan all laid out although I didn't quite follow all the details. Possibly a ledger running along the existing structures? Regardless, I will watch with interest. Sounds like you have an agreeable new tenant and it looks like you are enjoying the sunsets with reduced pollution. Sunsets here now look like sunrises.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #674
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice work Rian. Looking forward to seeing how your final design works out.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #675
Grizz1963

Quote:
Good progress. That thing is going to be stout. You'll be able to park on it if you want to. I forgot how sturdy those columns you already had were. Just three of them though, right? They look strong enough that if bolted together they could be used as beams and span the distance. It sounds like you got a plan all laid out although I didn't quite follow all the details. Possibly a ledger running along the existing structures? Regardless, I will watch with interest. Sounds like you have an agreeable new tenant and it looks like you are enjoying the sunsets with reduced pollution. Sunsets here now look like sunrises.
Yes, three but only using two.

Making wall plates to mount against the walls.

Plan is mostly (totally) in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Nice work Rian. Looking forward to seeing how your final design works out.
Thanks Bill.

Let’s hope......

This guy lived down my chimney for three days before I managed to catch him

Created a huge soot storm in the lounge.

Went to my favourite scrap metal merchants to look for some decent steel to use in making up some wall plates for the carport.

Failed, but managed to buy a really nice Muddy Fox mountain bike for the lodger for £5.00

Back home I started to pull down walls and dig out soil as @PaulY had suggested I create a compressor room next to the woodwork shed.

Taking down the brick and block work, and being as tight as I am, I cleaned the blocks and stacked them for future reuse.

When unfit, it seems a bigger job than it is.

Archeological finds

Prepared for concreting and boxiing in.

Thanks to @JohnnyBravo for the mixer

The Galaxy once again proved itself more than capable in the shifting stuff department.

I took 5 loads of rubble up to the farm to dump on their road building rubble pile. Exactly 1km, certainly beats the 16km or 10 miles to my local council tip.