The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #1
Bandit

Post What the heck is up with my timing????

I put my engine all back together yesterday and i went to time the engine. I got #1 to TDC and installed the distributor so the rotor would be near dead on #1 on the distributor cap. Sure enough, it fired up and ran fine. Then I got out the timing light to get it to 6 degrees BTDC, but the timing mark is out by about 180 degrees. What could be wrong, I had the vaccuum advance plugged off, I don't know what could be wrong. The truck runs just as good as it did before, so do I leave it? Is the distributor out by a tooth? Also, the distributor cap itself is sitting roughly in the same position as it was before. Is it possible the timing marks are on the wrong side of the block?

Thanks

Bandit
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
Hotrodhenryj
Truck Farmer

Not sure how far you had your motor apart, but when you have number one on compression stroke the mark on balancer should be up by the marker at zero. If it is 180 out it should not start, as that would be on exhaust stroke, maybe balancer slipped, or your mistaken some how? If its running you must have it right. Do you have the light on the correct plug wire, saw a guy once try to time his motor on number two wire by mistake.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

The cam could be 180° off. I've seen it done, in fact, I owned an engine that was like this. They'll run, but I'd recommend checking it out, and seeing if that's the case, so you can correct it.

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:56 PM   #4
Bandit

As far a putting the engine back together, all I did was install an intake manifold, carburator, and headers, so I guess I did stretch the truth a little! As long as #1 is still the front driver side cylinder on a 350, I've got it right. Another thought, could I be getting interference from the #3 wire? How can all this be if when I had it to the zero degree mark on #1 compression, install distributor, engine starts, timing mark is showing as firing on the passenger side of the block?

Please help me, am I doing something wrong here???

If the cam is 180 degrees off, other than the timing marks, what other symptoms would there be? like rough idle, backfire, I'm confused?!?
Bandit

[This message has been edited by Bandit (edited May 25, 2002).]
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
71BBK10
Teufelhunden

not trying to sound like a know it all but do this, have a friend hold his finger over #1 piston while you turn the motor over, stop when you know you are at TDC compression, just looking at the line on the balancer is not enough cause there is 2 tdc's. drop in distributor, make a mark where rotor is pointing, mark it on the firewall, intake, whatever it may be, put cap on and line it up so your a little advanced. then time it with your light. hope this helps...
Old 05-25-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
69 longhorn

If it runs ok, my guess is that the balancer ring slipped,or it has the wrong balancer on it. some of the 305s time at the top(you have to look straight down between the chain cover & the waterpump. The only other thought has been mentioned......I have clipped the pickup on the wrong wire........69longhorn.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
MikeB

Are you sure the timing mark is 180 degrees out? If it is, it would be facing below the fuel pump when the strobe fires. Is it marked really well, like with some white chalk? Maybe your problem is you're advanced big-time due to getting the distributor gear off by one tooth. The engine will idle great with even a ton of advance, although starting might be hard. One more thing -- could the woodruff key on the crank nose have sheared off, allowing the balancer to spin? I'd be very interested in hearing how this turns out. Please let me know.

------------------
MikeB
69 C-10 Fleetside, mild 383, Dart Iron Eagle heads, Crane Energizer 266 cam and 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600cfm carb, HEI w/ MSD components, 1986 front spindles/disc brakes, Vintage Air in-dash.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote