The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
cali_surfer

Post Serious Problem!!!

I need your help. I was outside trying to adjust my hood. I was fiddling with the front to back placement, made an adjustment and shut it. Well it went just a tad too far forward. Here's the problem, I can't open it!!! I can't seem to pry it up, I tried holding the latch up while laying underneath the truck and tapping the underside of the hood with a broom handle. I'm home alone rightnow so I gave up. Anyone been in this situation before? I've adjusted the hood before never had a problem.... but rightnow I feel really frustrated and screwed!
Old 05-25-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
jvclark2001

what has probably happened is the latch has jammed into the front of the lock mechanism...you will probably have to get help with this one...what im saying is the little pointed thing that goes into the lock is to far forward and is jammed into the front of it so reguardless of how you push up on it, it is stuck......good luck gettin it opened...jv

------------------
1972 swb, 400 sbc,
1978 malibu classic,305 balanced and bluprinted flowmasters,2 1/2 exhaust,pulleys,k/n 4" power filter,750 edelbrock carb,plus lots more......

jvclark2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
misfits

Is it a good hood? If you can't get it with a pry bar you might have to cut a hole in the hood. Sorry i'm not much help i've never had that happen. Good luck!
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
bigvinnie

no worries, just drop the inner fenders to get access to loosen the hinges, should loosen right up...

------------------
'72 short step, 350, 700R4, tilt, ps, pdb, a/c, lowered coils, etc., other work in progress... San Diego, CA
http://www.ixpres.com/vlusardi/chevtrk.htm

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:40 PM   #5
68 Suburban

I did that with a friends truck and we took a big screw driver and wrapped a rag around it and lightly pried up while the other try to open the hood. Luckly the hood was just a tad out of adjustment, so it popped right up. I would not use to much force.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:35 PM   #6
cali_surfer

I got it open guys!! Yes it was a good hood, a really nicely painted cowl hood at that. It was jambed up with the pointy thing hitting the latch. It took a couple good hits after I took off my "careful gloves". Now I'm back to normal and its adjusted good!!