The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
pen101

carrier bearing..inner race.

Re and re my entire hardware on a 95 S10 driveshaft.
The carrier bearing was 3 out of four corners ripped.
Had a time getting it off.
Used a little emery cloth cleaned it.
The new bearing just slides on....
By hand...no pressing...no banging..
Still having vibrational problems..starts at 60kmh rises to 80 then mellows.
Perhaps wrong bearing? Or out-put shaft worn?
Should these not need to be "pressed on"?

Any thought/knowledge greatly appreciated.
pen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: carrier bearing..inner race.

how are the u joints? I had another problem once where the u joint was not properly centered or seated in the shaft and that caused a slight vibration... of course the guy put the junkiest cheap u joint he could find and handnt put the one side retainer clip in either

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
pen101

Smile Re: carrier bearing..inner race.

I finally got a uncle to come by and I put her on stands.
He ran it at 70KMH and I did the old stick trick listening for the vibration at the carrier bearing...nothing just a nice clean "whirling" noise from there...I was at a drive shaft speciality shop to get my "shafts" balanced last week and was told that the carrier bearing came off to easily and that the "out-put shaft" needed replacement...total 320 plus plus..I declined and glad I did, cause If that was the problem I would have heard it thru the old stick trick.

I've redid everything, took my time and double and triple checked everything inclussive of retaining clips, trany mount (looks new no cracks) new seal in the back of the NV3500 and check the fluid in my rear end. No leak the either so need to do the pinion seal.

I hear some "clicking" from my rear end drive wheel side but am not convinced this is the problem either...that axle has one or two bearings(?) would they not howl first?

I look at my shaft as it travels...I think it needs to be rebalanced...looks like the vibration is there.

I appreciate all thoughts and suggestion.

Many thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well i can honestly say that ive had the same kind of thing where the driveshaft slid right into the carrier bearing and it lasted for years and tens of thousands of miles.. it could be the shaft.. im not knowledgeable with the rear ends but there is a bearing at the yoke . If you didnt hear any noise there either then id prolly agree that the shaft may be a hair off..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
FLEET72

I had a '60 long step that the carrier slid right onto. Put over 110,000 without any problems from the driveline. It was still goin' when I sold the truck.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
pen101

I live in Brantford Ontario, where obviously no ones drive shaft ever need any real technical work done because the closest place that does any kind of real stuff wanted to ream me for almost 400 bucks to fix a non-existant problem.
I have a shop that I have dealt with in the past...but he's in Oshawa/whitby area...close to 200Km away...I really dont want to drive that far with the vehicle vibrating.
I am attempting a "DIY" balance with a piece of tire weight, a oversized rad clamp and a piece of chalk..If I can get the vibration down to where I feel somewhat comfortable..Oshawa I'll be by tomorrow morning!