The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
'68 Short Step

No Brake or Dash Lights

everything has been working fine until a few days ago when my taillights and dash light quit working. I looked at the fuse and it was blown. Replaced the fuse and everything worked again. about 5 miles down the road the taillights and dash light quit working again. Checked the fuse and this time nothing was blown. I replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch because they looked old and corroded. Still nothing. any advice on best place to check wiring would help. Everything seems to be connected. thanks for the info
'68 Short Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: No Brake or Dash Lights

Did you do any work just prior to this happening?

The reason I ask is I once had the back bumper off my stepside and when I put it back on, I pinched a wire in there and never noticed. I stopped at a traffic light and smoke started coming out of the column when the brakes were applied! (wish my fuse HAD blown, it melted some turn signal switch wires that were NOT fun repairing)

I'd start by inspecting your wires to see if there is anything pinched or shorting out.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
DKclassis72

do anything to your steering column? I pinched some of the wire going down the column and that caused the same issue your dealing with.
DKclassis72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
'68 Short Step

Well I installed my vintage air system and cleaned up the wires under the hood by wrapping them all up but everything looks connected. Took the dash cluster off and all wires look ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
FLDBRED

Is your dash cluster grounded?
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
'68 Short Step

I will double check the dash today and make sure its all grounded. Does it normally ground on the metal part of the dash?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
tr69c10

Check you turn signal springs inside the column some times they can short out when they touch the column it happened to me
Posted via Mobile Device
tr69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Your tail light power originates at the fuse panel where the red wire from the battery harness connects and feeds the stop/turn/tail fuse. From there an orange wire branches out and feeds the headlight switch, the brake light switch, and the dome light. It also feeds the green wire on the headlight switch which runs through the dash light variable resistor and back to the fuse panel to the PNL LTS fuse, where a gray wire runs to the dash cluster to feed the panel lights.

When you blew the stop/turn/tail fuse you lost those functions. when you replaced the fuse it restored the brakes and turn lights. What I suspect happened is that the brown wire which runs from the headlight switch shorted at some point in the circuit and opened the tail light circuit which accounts for not blowing the fuse again.

The tail lights are powered by a brown wire from the headlight switch, which runs through the connector in the firewall behind the distributor, and down the firewall along the frame with the turn/brake and backup light wires. Check along that harness and at the tail lights for a break in the wiring.

Here's a picture diagram of the harness. The fuse panel is in the lower right corner and the panel lights wire is marked by the arrow. The orange wires are shown also.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web panel lights.jpg
Views: 7124
Size:  101.1 KB

Here's a diagram of the headlight switch wiring from the fuse panel.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 9071
Size:  104.5 KB

here's the tailight and dome harness.

Name:  !cid_41C4D85D17D9418AA9AE410DA9D317A1@OWNER.jpg
Views: 7216
Size:  45.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
'68 Short Step

Unhappy Re: No Brake or Dash Lights

Thank you very much for the details. I will check everything out when I get home later. All of the advise is very much appreciated. It's frustrating that I finished my vintage air system and can't enjoy it because of the electrical issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
Duelly

Had the same kind of problem. We got caught in a heavy down pour and was 60 miles from home and all my tail lights, marker lights and dash lights all blew 2 different fuses. Had a friend follow me home and checked it out the next morning on a beautiful sunny morning and 2 fuses were blown and the fuse box was wet and the terminals were kind of rusty. The truck has been parked in a storage unit until this weekend when I plan to get it out and try to find the problem. Some say that the windshield may have to come off. This was new last September when I bought the truck. Its a 1970 Chevy CST/10. Don't dare go to far until the leak is fixed. From some of the pictures that I have seen it could be rusted through the bottom of the windshield. and the new windshield would have to come out and checked for holes. I have never done anything like this so, I will have to have a glass repair shop take a look at it. We will see what happens.
Duelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I seem to have gotten a gremlin but not sure when it popped up with my work on the truck. This morning (still dark) I discovered parking/running lights, break lights, dash lights, and dome like did not work. I found my "Tail Stop Park Dome" fuse was blown and replaced it. Figured I did something naughty in the last week and did not notice it (since I been test driving in daylight).

A bit later this morning (daylight now) I did my test drive that I needed to do after replacing the fuel pump to carburetor hardline (still no leaks there YAY) but when I pulled in the garage my dome light wasn't coming on (and the other lights of course). Again my "Tail Stop Park Dome" fuse was blown. Ugh!

Replace the fuse again. This time I tried to go through areas I remember mucking around wiggling various wires/harnesses to see if I could get it to blow. Nope. I did two test drives following the same path that forced me to do the same braking/turning/etc. Still didn't blow the fuse. After returning to the garage I did the same wiggling around areas again while in the garage, fuse is holding.

I am bouncing between under the dash (driver side) since I did pull speaker wire across to that side. Then popping to the engine bay and wiggling wires around the battery/passenger headlight. Since there I pulled the battery and tray to replace the LED lamp and fuel vapor canister.

So my question (its safe to assume I introduced this short) is there anything common to this fused orange power run around the battery/passenger headlight and the harness that goes across the radiator? Well, other than actual battery power... I didn't seen any orange being pulled over there.

PS: the biggest suck here is that I lose my breaking lights - that is a big downer. So during my test driving/drives I am keeping my dome light on!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-20-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Okay, can now make "Tail Stop Park Dome" fuse blow on demand.

It is when the left turn signal is on and when I apply the break... whatever that means or where. Perhaps something pinched around the battery tray/passenger side. I know I didn't do any work on the break lights.

I think it is time to self flagellate for causing this.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote