The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Red Head Quick Ratio Steerng Box

I just replaced my Power Steering box with a new Red Head quick ratio box, and I have to say, I'm a little concerned at how stiff and heavy the steering now feels, does anyone else have experience of these Red Head boxes? should it be so heavy to steer? or is there any adjustment?

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Red Head Quick Ratio Steerng Box

What's your definition of heavy. Is it stiff or hard to turn? If that's it, it certainly shouldn't be.

Did your truck have p.s. before and is the new gearbox stiffer?

To answer the question about adjustment, yes, there is. You can google p.s. gearbox on the internet and see some procedure on how to do it. You have to be careful though. Too tight and it may lock up on you and too loose and you get a lot of steering wheel slop. If you are inclined to adj. it, do it in really small increments. If adjustments don't help, you may have to call Red Head.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thanks 68gmsee.
The truck always had PS, and if I compare how the steering feels now, to how it was previously with the old power steering box, the old PS felt very light..one finger turning, the new box feels like the front end of the truck has been weighted down, there is more resistance in turning the wheel now.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Red Head Quick Ratio Steerng Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
I just replaced my Power Steering box with a new Red Head quick ratio box, and I have to say, I'm a little concerned at how stiff and heavy the steering now feels, does anyone else have experience of these Red Head boxes? should it be so heavy to steer? or is there any adjustment?
Many who have added ps to our rides often find the ps to be TOO EASY to turn, and we'd like to get more road feel. Also, we often find we have installed a ps box with about 4+ turns, lock-to-lock; when we then replace it with a 3+ turn lock-to-lock (A QUICKER-RATIO BOX) box, we are lots happier--now we have more "road-feel".

You DO realize that what you bought is a quick-ratio box, don't you? The quicker the ratio, the fewer turns lock-to-lock; the fewer turns l-t-l, the more difficult it is to turn. Could be that you simply bought one built for applications like rock-crawling, which often is even quicker than GM's 3+ lock-to-lock.

Go & test-drive somewhere close to a 2003 S-10, ONLY one with v-6 and auto and ps, and compare its difficulty of steering to your RedHead. If it is very similar, smile and enjoy your box. If it's noticeably harder, u may desire a 'slower-ratio' box. Probably time to call RedHead, if it's just too hard to drive: you don't want it dangerous, and it's always possible there is an internal flaw on the builder's part:; see "mechanic" below, before calling.

What I'd do 1st is check the # of turns required to turn yours lock-to-lock. If quicker(smaller number) than ~3.25, it's likely you do have one built for rock-crawling--not a good idea for driving on the road, imo. If it is ~3.25, then either (1) u need to get used to it or (2) there's something wrong. Time for a mechanic to test-drive it & offer his opinion--need to be safe.

Let us know the # of turns, l-t-l, please.

Good luck on resolving your issue.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
68gmsee

Try the adjustment first. A google search for "gm power steering gearbox adjustment" will give you few hits. Also make sure all air is out by following the instructions on purging the gearbox. Use it for a few days to see if it's just needing to "break" in.

If none of that helps, you'll just have to give them a call. Red-Head is supposed to be one of the better companies for these gearboxes and I'm sure they will want to do what's best for the customer. They're highly recommended on most automotive sites on the net so they won't want their reputation sullied.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
68gmsee

Didn't see luvbowties post before I submitted my post (slow typing). The ratio is a consideration if you got a different one than what you had.

I have a quick ratio one I took out of my truck couple of years ago cause it was too squirrely. Basically, it was too responsive and I was used to the old gearbox so I decided to just rebuild it.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Many who have added ps to our rides often find the ps to be TOO EASY to turn, and we'd like to get more road feel. Also, we often find we have installed a ps box with about 4+ turns, lock-to-lock; when we then replace it with a 3+ turn lock-to-lock (A QUICKER-RATIO BOX) box, we are lots happier--now we have more "road-feel".

You DO realize that what you bought is a quick-ratio box, don't you? The quicker the ratio, the fewer turns lock-to-lock; the fewer turns l-t-l, the more difficult it is to turn. Could be that you simply bought one built for applications like rock-crawling, which often is even quicker than GM's 3+ lock-to-lock.

Go & test-drive somewhere close to a 2003 S-10, ONLY one with v-6 and auto and ps, and compare its difficulty of steering to your RedHead. If it is very similar, smile and enjoy your box. If it's noticeably harder, u may desire a 'slower-ratio' box. Probably time to call RedHead, if it's just too hard to drive: you don't want it dangerous, and it's always possible there is an internal flaw on the builder's part:; see "mechanic" below, before calling.

What I'd do 1st is check the # of turns required to turn yours lock-to-lock. If quicker(smaller number) than ~3.25, it's likely you do have one built for rock-crawling--not a good idea for driving on the road, imo. If it is ~3.25, then either (1) u need to get used to it or (2) there's something wrong. Time for a mechanic to test-drive it & offer his opinion--need to be safe.

Let us know the # of turns, l-t-l, please.

Good luck on resolving your issue.
Sam

Thanks Sam, I intentionally bought a QR Box, thought it sounded like a nice upgrade, and with the smaller roads here in the UK it most certainly is, and I'm enjoying the responsiveness.....I think I just got a bit of a shock at the heavier feel in it's turning ability. I bought the Red Head from Wes at Classic Heartbeat, he knows my truck well, so it's definitely not a box for rock crawling. The # of turns lock to lock is 3.25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Try the adjustment first. A google search for "gm power steering gearbox adjustment" will give you few hits. Also make sure all air is out by following the instructions on purging the gearbox. Use it for a few days to see if it's just needing to "break" in.

If none of that helps, you'll just have to give them a call. Red-Head is supposed to be one of the better companies for these gearboxes and I'm sure they will want to do what's best for the customer. They're highly recommended on most automotive sites on the net so they won't want their reputation sullied.
68gmsee, I adjusted the box today, I turned the adjuster screw anti clockwise about 1/8" as per the tutorials found on the net, and after a quick test drive, there was no real difference, so I'm going to leave the adjustment alone now for a while, and see if, like you say, this is just something I need to get used to, and give it time to break in.

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Don't know because I used the ECE quick ratio box. No difference in effort between that box and the old one. I would check that box to be sure you don't have the lines reversed.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
CUSTOM/10

I just bought the same quick box but my truck isn't finished yet. I'll bet the heavy feel to it is because of the quick ratio.

FYI.... Adjusting the box voids the warranty ! I read that either on the tag or in their literature !

I don't think you can reverse the lines, there different size fittings !

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Thanks 68gmsee.
The truck always had PS, and if I compare how the steering feels now, to how it was previously with the old power steering box, the old PS felt very light..one finger turning, the new box feels like the front end of the truck has been weighted down, there is more resistance in turning the wheel now.
Nigel there is more resistance now because of the difference in gearbox ratio. Less turns lock to lock require more effort than before.
There's nothing wrong with the new sector. You will get used to it before long I'm sure.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
You can if you make your own lines and reverse them...at the pump! Ask me how I know.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
I just bought the same quick box but my truck isn't finished yet. I'll bet the heavy feel to it is because of the quick ratio.

FYI.... Adjusting the box voids the warranty ! I read that either on the tag or in their literature !

Post up when you get yours fitted Custom, I'd like to know. Yes the fittings are different size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Nigel there is more resistance now because of the difference in gearbox ratio. Less turns lock to lock require more effort than before.
There's nothing wrong with the new sector. You will get used to it before long I'm sure.
Thanks Boog, she's been a DD for the 8 yrs i've owned it, and the sudden change in tension has probably just been a shock to the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
You can if you make your own lines and reverse them...at the pump! Ask me how I know.
Fitz, your just being difficult as usual...

Thanks again guys for all your help.

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
stomper

Red Head tunes the steering effort when they rebuild. The changes are internal. If you wanted the quick ratio box they have assumed you wanted the increased the steering effort. It's a matter of taste. I have my SWB high effort and my K5 low effort. Both are quick ratio boxes. Give them a call. I'm sure they will change it for you.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
leftybass209

I was unaware that the quicker ratio adds to the steering effort but that's exactly what I'm looking for! Also, there is a way to "tune" the power steering pump to increase pressure to lighten or stiffen the power steering. You can read about it here http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ering_secrets/
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
72chevyk10
I built it

i noticed the heavier steering with my quick ratio redhead. ifn this box ever goes out im going back to the normal box. quick ratio and 35's (and a pos powersteering pump) is not as fun around town. i really miss my one pinky turning ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevyk10 View Post
i noticed the heavier steering with my quick ratio redhead. ifn this ever goes out im going back to the normal box. quick ratio and 35's (and a pos powersteering pump) isnt as fun around town. i really miss my one pinky turning ability
I felt the same way with my K5. I took the box back in there. They disassembled it and tried a number of other valves or something until it was back to one finger turning. Seemed like it was a try and see kinda thing
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #17
Boog
laying low

I believe in the back of the steering pump where the pressure line screws in is the pressure regulator. It may be possible to use a different pressure valve to tune the power steering feel.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 05-20-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #18
skytop

If you adjust the new Red Head steering gear box, you instantly void the warranty. The factory puts indelible marks on the sector adjustment and jamb nut. Do not touch it but rather contact WES about any possible problems. He will take care of everything.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
52napco

Old thread I see ......it amazes me at how quickly folks chime in with opinions with no knowledge of what they are talking about lol.
With this being said I too recently purchased a Redhead box for my K20 old box had play.
The steeering ratio is the same so don't go there with that excuse. The ps steering is now much harder to turn to the point of annoyance especially in parking lots.
After several calls to them I was given permission to adjust the box and it did not help.
I'm going to call them again to ask for a replacement. I will say they are very helpful and curtious on the phone.
The ratio difference in ease of turning on a ps vehicle is minimal ....even on a heavier vehicle.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #20
68c10airstream

Most of the times road feel will be dictated by what's called a spool valve, located in the gearbox. It's internal diameter bar is the key to it and is identified my the style and size sticking out side of the box where the rag joint slides on.

A little fyi, gm in 1996 went to easy steer for you pinky steering guys and both styles are out there, (inside and outside frame mount). So a 96 and newer gm 2wd or 4wd should match up with the correct location with the correct pitman arm attachment. I just can't remember if the 96 and newer 2wd or 4wd was outside frame mount for us 67-72 c10 lovers. This 96 and newer box is 3.5 turns lock to lock and most likely variable ratio (my favorite box).

Also, if you want a firmer feel, but still want 3.5 turns and variable ratio just source a 95 and older box. Good luck. By the way i built my own box, nos 85 2wd box and a 96 jeep grand cherokee v8 spool valve. 3.5 turns, variable ratio and firmer feel.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #21
lux

I installed a Red Head quick ratio box on my 72. The old box had lots of play when I bought the truck. So I cant say that I knew what the steering would have felt like from the factory. That being said, I love the feel of the Red Head. It feels a lot like my modern truck, not "heavy" at all.
I cant be sure of what your felt like before or now but it should not be as heavy as you say.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #22
StingRay

One should also consider that not all OE steering boxes are created alike. When I bought my 72 it had been converted to power steering with a 73-87 box. It began to leak and I swapped on a nice clean dry 70 box that I had. While it was still nice to drive it was noticeably stiffer than the later box. Knowing what you really had to start with vs the spec of box you ended up with might explain at least some of it.

Last edited by StingRay; 01-25-2018 at 01:41 PM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #23
demian5

Ok, so who makes or sells a quicker ratio, bolt-in box that doesn't increase steering effort?
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 PM   #24
68c10airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Ok, so who makes or sells a quicker ratio, bolt-in box that doesn't increase steering effort?
If your truck is a 67-72 c10, and you live in rust free california, hit the junkyard and get a 96 (easy steer) and newer used gear box (outside frame mount) from i believe a 4wd half ton gm truck. Get the intermediate shaft, rag joint, both lines and the fitting and spool/spring from the back of the power steering pump. Swap over your old pitman arm and bolt on all of these parts and it will give you 3.5 turns, variable ratio, and easy steering. I suggest all of these parts because rag joint changes through the years and the intermediate shaft will help, the lines were inverted flair up until about 75 and then switched to o'ring style, so by getting the fitting from the back of the pump everything matches up.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #25
bMr

Crazy how hold thread come back to life. If anyone is still reading and considering a product from Red Head, I have a 72 with factory power steering; a replacement steering box from them was hands down the best thing I've done to the truck. Same ratio, same effort, immensely better feel. The wheel turns and the truck turns, amazing!
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote