The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Freestate

Side Molding Issue

I've got an issue with the side molding on both fenders. The molding bracket by the door keeps popping out. I found out that the person who installed the molding didn't put a locking nut on the back of the bolt (see pictures). Any idea how I can get behind it and put a locking nut on, or fix it the right way without taking the door off? I've tried almost everything and can't seem to get a wrench or my fingers back behind the fender.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the molding is pretty loose. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? 3M tape? Can this be done without taking the molding completely off?
Attached Images

Freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: Side Molding Issue

They likely found out as I did, that the moulding was made to go on before the front of the truck was assembled. I was able to get the nuts on the fender right there, but it was not easy, and I was only able to get them hand tight.

Also check your moulding on the doors at the front -- there's a bolt there that is hidden behind the hinge on each side, and I could never find any way to get those on with the fender installed. Someday, I'll have to pull the fenders, and finish up the nuts in the door/fender interface area.

I'll be watching this thread to see if someone more clever than I has a secret method to accomplish this.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

Your not going to like this answer but it works....and your never removing that molding again anyway.

Use windshield setting eurethane to glue the molding down where you cant get the nut on, tape the paint around the molding, them paddle the eurethane in there, "clamp" the molding to the door or fender with a stick cut to size and wedged from a wall or another vehicle to the molding. Let it sit overnight to cure and your in good shape.
Do the same for the other loose spots or remove the molding and use new 3m tape on the plastic clips, or if you have holes put the nut style clips on the trim.

BTW, the deluxe emblem in your picture is positioned wrong, it should be left justified with the Custom/10 emblem, left justified on both sides.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Freestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Your not going to like this answer but it works....and your never removing that molding again anyway.

Use windshield setting eurethane to glue the molding down where you cant get the nut on, tape the paint around the molding, them paddle the eurethane in there, "clamp" the molding to the door or fender with a stick cut to size and wedged from a wall or another vehicle to the molding. Let it sit overnight to cure and your in good shape.
Do the same for the other loose spots or remove the molding and use new 3m tape on the plastic clips, or if you have holes put the nut style clips on the trim.

BTW, the deluxe emblem in your picture is positioned wrong, it should be left justified with the Custom/10 emblem, left justified on both sides.
Thanks, Randy, for the advice. I might resort to the eurethane. Also, thanks for letting me know about the emblem. Hopefully, I can get it off with no paint damage.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Freestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post

Actually, going back to my photos before restoring the truck, the deluxe emblem is center aligned with the custom/C10. Can anyone else verify that that's the way it should be? Unless, the truck has been repainted once before.

Name:  102_2104 (1).jpg
Views: 328
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

You can google it for pictures, you can also get the dimensions from the assembly manual. That fender was likely a 69-70 fender, they had that badge placement. The custom deluxe placement is also not the same as Cheyenne super in dimensions but is left justified in a similar manner.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

use barrel clips for moulding bolts you can't get to , insert one in the hole and push the moulding on ...Done

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-pcs-6-siz...xVTpfC&vxp=mtr
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
Freestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
use barrel clips for moulding bolts you can't get to , insert one in the hole and push the moulding on ...Done

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-pcs-6-siz...xVTpfC&vxp=mtr
Thanks, I'll have to give it a shot.