The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Dave K.

Production Numbers--1968 K10 SWB 50th

Where would I find these?

Thanks, Dave
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Re: Production Numbers--1968 K10 SWB 50th

You won't find any because GM didn't keep details regarding trim levels, colors, options, etc.

If I'm reading correctly there were 1449 short 4X4's produced in 1968.

I think I read on here some time ago that 4% of trucks built in 1968 had the CST package. Not all CST's were 50th trucks and not all 50th trucks were CST's.

I think 67-72trucks up in Houghton has one.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
Dave K.

Thanks Cypress, kinda figured it would be a tough one to determine. Would like to see pics of his truck to compare...
Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #4
mike16

you can thank that television program back in the 80's that rigged all those chevy trucks to catch on fire and explode. It was determined that they used squibs to assist in the fire during a side impact.

Thier bluff was called and they were found to be fudging the results to dramatise the effect. GM beat them on that but corporate came down with a mandate to dispose of any documentation in the archives that lawyers could use against them in court. Essentialy all the records were destroyed including those stats that we all crave now.

same for just about all GM product lines. Pontiac docs were saved but pretty much the rest were done in. And we have more lawyers now than we had then....
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
Dave K.

I've contacted the member in Houghton. Would be interesting to find out how many other members have one of these.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
... but corporate came down with a mandate to dispose of any documentation in the archives that lawyers could use against them in court. Essentialy all the records were destroyed including those stats that we all crave now...
I don't recall any mandate to get rid of records. There are standardized retention periods depending on the type of documentation that are government regulations and those retention periods are still adhered to.

The reason the records don't exist is because there are/were so many, and there was no central repository. Nobody in the corporation (or on the outside) had the time or inclination to try and pull all that together. The Canadian records were saved because they were more manageable and co-located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16

Pontiac docs were saved but pretty much the rest were done in.
The Pontiac documents were saved because they were financial records (invoices and billing history cards). The fact that they were valuable to historians and enthusiast was coincidental.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-10-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
67-72trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
I've contacted the member in Houghton. Would be interesting to find out how many other members have one of these.

Hey Dave,

congrats on buying a 50th swb 4x4!!
67-72trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
If I'm reading correctly there were 1449 short 4X4's produced in 1968.
that's the correct number for fleetsides. i would guess the number of 68 short fleet k10 with ivory/gold would be less than 100. considering there were 16 primary color options available, and 551 does not seem very common, i would guess the actual number may be less than 50.

the real question is how many of those still sport that original paint!!!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
Dave K.

Mine has some of it! Mostly "patina" though...

I think there are other features such as the gold visors, gold mat and such that seem unique but perhaps those came with the saddle color as well--dunno. Thanks for the input all. I wonder if the original fabric insert material is still available?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
68bowtie

you just need to find someone with this...

Name:  2014-11-23 2015-01-18 001.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  36.6 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
Dave K.

Let me know if you run across him! I would be all over that!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
Dave K.

It's interesting that the window regulator on the left is the black and the right one is the clear--same as mine....
Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #13
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Dave, glad you got in touch with Mike. I'd love to see your truck in person someday.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I don't recall any mandate to get rid of records. There are standardized retention periods depending on the type of documentation that are government regulations and those retention periods are still adhered to.

recollection is a funny thing when it comes to facts. Regardless, At least for GMC records, they were destroyed after the smoke cleared and the lawsuit ordeal was over. Any way It was discused at length on another site. I doubt GM would issue a directive stating to destroy records in order to prevent or avoid potential lawsuits. Maybe they are weary of storing the records in the office of the plaintifs leagal deffence team. My bad for assuming they would have the common sense to destroy all records to avoid future legal problems. Thier current woe's suggest they have a bit more to learn.

The reason the records don't exist is because there are/were so many, and there was no central repository. Nobody in the corporation (or on the outside) had the time or inclination to try and pull all that together. The Canadian records were saved because they were more manageable and co-located.

Not sure what you mean about there being so many that they dont exist. Those many records in GMC's case were soepena'd by the oposition as it were, Dont know if they were outsiders.....or not. but the potential risk was recognised and the records . in the GMC case were destroyed. and with it any way to determine the authenticity of GMC trucks. Cant speak for the destruction of the pontiac records, I read that they were salvaged before being destroyed on some other pontiac forum/website too. I know better than to believe anything I read on various forums having come up through the ranks doing corvettes. I aint buying the story, I'm buying the car. know what I mean? We got SPID's. That sorts out authenticity issues. Lawyers are funny about putting directives/mandates in writing, So perhaps we'll never know

The Pontiac documents were saved because they were financial records (invoices and billing history cards). The fact that they were valuable to historians and enthusiast was coincidental.

valuable to lawyers too

K
any way... We dont have the records to determine ho many were made, but the SPID can at least Id and authenticate them.

Last edited by mike16; 09-18-2015 at 12:50 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post

recollection is a funny thing when it comes to facts. Regardless, At least for GMC records, they were destroyed after the smoke cleared and the lawsuit ordeal was over. Any way It was discused at length on another site. I doubt GM would issue a directive stating to destroy records in order to prevent or avoid potential lawsuits. Maybe they are weary of storing the records in the office of the plaintifs leagal deffence team. My bad for assuming they would have the common sense to destroy all records to avoid future legal problems. Thier current woe's suggest they have a bit more to learn.

Not sure what you mean about there being so many that they dont exist. Those many records in GMC's case were soepena'd by the oposition as it were, Dont know if they were outsiders.....or not. but the potential risk was recognised and the records . in the GMC case were destroyed. and with it any way to determine the authenticity of GMC trucks. Cant speak for the destruction of the pontiac records, I read that they were salvaged before being destroyed on some other pontiac forum/website too. I know better than to believe anything I read on various forums having come up through the ranks doing corvettes. I aint buying the story, I'm buying the car. know what I mean? We got SPID's. That sorts out authenticity issues. Lawyers are funny about putting directives/mandates in writing, So perhaps we'll never know
I think I see the root cause of the difference in our perspective(s):

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading on the internet;

I was there when it was happening.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-23-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote