The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #976
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

So we spent the next day wandering around Pueblo with Bill. We stopped out by Larry and hung out for a little while before we all headed over and got some lunch. While at lunch we decided on a plan for the day. We left town to the south past the old steel mill:

We continued out of town and headed west into the mountains. Our destination was a castle. A castle in the mountains of Colorado?? I have got so see this. Well, we saw it. It was a castle, in the mountains. Hmmpf. Never would have expected that.

This "eclectic" guy named Jim Bishop is perpetually building a castle in the woods. Not sure why, but I'm sure he has his reasons. Anyways, here it is, Bishop's Castle:

It is wide open. You park along the road and just wander in. No admission fee or anything for that matter.

It looks neat from a distance. Up close, one begins to wonder if the builder has any engineering experience or background. Not terrible, mind you, just sketchy at best in places. His welds were not among the nicest I've seen, borderline scary at times and in many places, the welds are what supports the metal under your feet.

I couldn't muster enough testicular fortitude to take the first step out onto this thing (it's visible in the first pic of the castle--its the bridge-like thing at the top):

So we ended up staying another night with Bill. I mentioned it didn't seem right hanging out with him and no campfire, so we grabbed the campfire in a can and put it out on the deck and got to sit around a campfire with Bill. It was a real nice time.

At this point we need to start heading in the direction of home. The crew was getting a bit tired of traveling. I was actually expecting a mutiny between Denver and Pueblo. I figured the Suburban would eventually be found, but I wasn't so sure about me. I can't say that I blame them. We had a few LONG travel days without much to get out and see, but at the same time I know EXACTLY what was at home and it isn't what we are seeing now. Damn the torpedoes!! PRESS ON!!

We decided on a destination of Durango for the day. We'd get a room at the Caboose and head on home the next day. That works. We've seen a lot on this journey and I guess it has to end sometime. So we head out of Pueblo down 25 to 160 and head west. We go through Pagosa Springs and over Wolf Creek Pass. We stop in a little po-dunk town along the way and visit a guy who is building a 72 pickup with a Cummins. He has done some beautiful fab work on his conversion. His conversion is like fine cutlery compared to mine which resembles more of a blunt object. The main difference is my blunt object runs and drives, but when his is done it is going to be a sweet ride. So we get out of that smoke filled town (the fire was still burning on Wolf Creek Pass--they had just opened the pass up the day before we rolled through) and headed into a smoke filled Durango. It is Independence Day. We check into the Caboose. The lady at the front desk remembers me from last year, well, actually she remembers Suburban and me by default. Meh, I'll take it. We do our load in and decide to head downtown to get some grub and check out the parade and fireworks later on. On the way downtown my boy asks if we are leaving tomorrow?? I say that we are, unless we decide to stay another day and left it at that. We got downtown and found a bar/restaurant establishment. While we were eating the parade started, so we got to eat and watch the parade. While we were eating, my wife asked if I wanted to stay another day here?? Like she really had to ask. I got on the horn with the Caboose and they had a room left, but not the same one we were in, so a bag-drag was required. It actually worked out for the better as the room we had was up front against main street and a bit noisy for my liking.

So we wandered around Durango and got back to the truck just in time to pull the chairs out and watch the fireworks. It was a nice show and we headed back to the room. We sat around for a bit discussing what we were going to do tomorrow since we hadn't panned on being there another day. We decided on Silverton.

We got up the next morning and did our load out. We headed up the road and got some lunch in Silverton. From there we headed northwest out of town up to the Old Hundred Mine. This is a gold mine that never really paid out beyond the initial claim. Tons of money was dumped into the operation, but the payback never really materialized. Guided tours of the mine are the only financial payout these days. It is a really neat tour if you've never seen a mining operation. We see mining remnants when we travel around here, but not in the actual mine, nor do we get to see them in operation. This mine has it all. You get on a crew train and drive into an adit about 1/2 mile into Galena Mountain.

There you get off the train and head down a drift off of the adit where they have a jack leg drill set up. Not only is it set up, they actually run it so you can hear just how obnoxious it was to operate (or be near).

They then take you past an elevator which is summoned or dispatched by a series of bell rings.

At that point you head down an adjacent drift where they show a bunch of miner's goods. Lunch cans, carbide lamps, tools, etc.

There is a series of holes drilled in the face of the drift that show how they patterned the holes and how they would detonated the explosives and the order in which the explosives went off in order to clear the blasted rock out of the wall.

That drift takes you back out to the adit that the crew train runs in. You pass under an ore chute that carries ore or waste rock down from upper levels:

At the end of the tour the guide gives a demonstration on a mucking machine. There are mucking machines scattered across the western United States, but seeing one in action is a rare occurrence for a person who is not employed in a mine. A mucking machine has a bucket like a front end loader on it (only much smaller) and it scoops up rock and the bucket raises up and swings back over the top of the machine to dump the rock in an ore car behind it to be pulled out of the mine and dumped down the side of the hill or transported to the mill site.

That pretty much ended the tour. You get back on the crew train and head out of the mine. There is a trough outside that is stocked with some copper and silver that the kids (or adults) can pan for gold in. My boy did that for a while and then we wandered around the site for a bit. I found a crew train power unit out back of the maintenance shed. It has a two cylinder Detroit in it. As noisy as the electric train we rode in the mine on was, I'd hate to be anywhere near this thing when it was in the mine:

Now the level we toured was actually one of the lower levels of the mine. The original claim (and the only one that actually paid) was located up the mountain. 2000 feet up the mountain. When you are on the level we toured, you can walk out to the edge of the mine dump and just barely catch a glimpse of the original bunkhouse and tram building. We headed out of the site a different way than you are "supposed" to go. We went down the trail a ways and the buildings come into sight a little better. One must keep in mind that the buildings are almost a half mile up and when you travel farther away, they get smaller. I had a decent vantage point of them, so I threw a long lens on the camera, put the camera on a tripod and tried to get a few pics of them. I was able to crop in on one and get a decent view of the buildings:

I am guessing that there is over a mile of separation from where I took the pic to the buildings themselves. The trail that serviced the buildings back in the day is long gone. What is left is literally just wide enough to walk heel-to-toe on and eventually it just disappears, leaving you about 300' above the buildings. Most of the roof on the bunkhouse caved in years ago, but about ten years ago a crew got together and took supplies up there (by helicopter) and repaired the roof structure on the bunkhouse and did some stabilization to the tram building. What a project.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #977
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

That castle looks cool. I like the design of it. Definitely saw a lot of different stuff on this road trip. Thanks for sharing.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #978
Dean'smeanmachine

nice build. do you have any videos of your truck on the web? id love to see more of it!
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #979
ryanroo

Man i didnt realize you had gone up to silverton! you should have just kept on truckin up the hill past the old hundered. the stony pass road is a blast! and you can stand in the pile of snow that is the Rio Grande. and you were like a nice 20 minute fire road drive from animas forks. there is some really neat stuff left up there from the boom days.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #980
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for the pics of my old town. Those buildings on the side of that mountain look really neat. I'm sure it was one tough task building those back in the day!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #981
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
That castle looks cool. I like the design of it. Definitely saw a lot of different stuff on this road trip. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, definitely saw quite a bit on this run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
nice build. do you have any videos of your truck on the web? id love to see more of it!
Thanks. The only videos I have are the ones posted earlier in this thread that I swiped from Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Man i didnt realize you had gone up to silverton! you should have just kept on truckin up the hill past the old hundered. the stony pass road is a blast! and you can stand in the pile of snow that is the Rio Grande. and you were like a nice 20 minute fire road drive from animas forks. there is some really neat stuff left up there from the boom days.
We would have loved to explore more up there, but by the time we got out of the mine it was getting late in the afternoon and we still needed to head back into DGO. Next time we get up there I want to do a bunch of those trails. There is a lot of neat stuff up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks for the pics of my old town. Those buildings on the side of that mountain look really neat. I'm sure it was one tough task building those back in the day!
Yeah, they were a bunch of hardcore badasses back then. From what I understand the trail that led to the buildings starts on the other side of the mountain and you have to crest the mountain, then come back down this side to get to the buildings.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #982
Average Joe

Cool road trip! Thanks again for sharing your pics. My sister was at Glacier this summer too but apparently slightly earlier in the season as Going To The Sun was still closed when she was there. I was there in 97 in a old CJ and from there went to Rushmore and Badlands. I did a marathon nonstop drive from Sturgis back to southern Oregon so I wouldnt lose my job. Good times
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #983
justcuz

You know Meiser with the Jeep and the diesel Dodge lives in the Durango area? Larry says the tourist traffic in Colorado in the summer dissuades him from driving the local areas. Was Larry's baby girl born yet when you were there? Great pics of another super trip. I think I am going to do a 2 day trip on the Mojave Road this next week with some friends. If I do I can reciprocate a little, since you have been carrying the off and on road travel guides for the last couple years!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #984
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Cool road trip! Thanks again for sharing your pics. My sister was at Glacier this summer too but apparently slightly earlier in the season as Going To The Sun was still closed when she was there. I was there in 97 in a old CJ and from there went to Rushmore and Badlands. I did a marathon nonstop drive from Sturgis back to southern Oregon so I wouldnt lose my job. Good times
Thanks. The Going To The Sun Road just opened a day or two before we got there. Glad it was open, even if we didn't get to see much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
You know Meiser with the Jeep and the diesel Dodge lives in the Durango area?
Don't know Meiser. We did stop and see ryanroo at his place outside of Durango though.

Quote:
Larry says the tourist traffic in Colorado in the summer dissuades him from driving the local areas.
Meh, Larry whines a lot.

Quote:
Was Larry's baby girl born yet when you were there?
We did stop and see Larry, but Mama was out with the baby, so we didn't get to see her. She probably didn't trust him with her just yet. Knowing Larry, there would probably be a bouncy chair set up on the bench with her in it while he works on his truck . Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise me...

Quote:
Great pics of another super trip.
Thanks!!

Quote:
I think I am going to do a 2 day trip on the Mojave Road this next week with some friends. If I do I can reciprocate a little, since you have been carrying the off and on road travel guides for the last couple years!
Sounds good. You taking a real truck or one of those late model plastic ones??
Old 10-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #985
justcuz

Meiser is on Pirate, he goes by Metcalf on Expedition Portal, my bad.

Well I guess it will be my older (93) plastic Suburban, not the 2000. Funny you mentioned it though because the dash on the 93 is falling apart. It will probably end up in my lap before I finish the trip! I really need to finish the rebuild on the 73, most of it is metal.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #986
justcuz

Nick,
Trip report is in 88-98 section. You and Larry taking off this weekend for your birthday run? If so have fun and post up your trip photos. I need to get my old Suburban fix before I go back east. Have to go to southern Michigan on family business for a couple weeks.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #987
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Meiser is on Pirate, he goes by Metcalf on Expedition Portal, my bad.

Well I guess it will be my older (93) plastic Suburban, not the 2000. Funny you mentioned it though because the dash on the 93 is falling apart. It will probably end up in my lap before I finish the trip! I really need to finish the rebuild on the 73, most of it is metal.
Yep, still some good metal in that '73.

Quote:
Nick,
Trip report is in 88-98 section. You and Larry taking off this weekend for your birthday run? If so have fun and post up your trip photos. I need to get my old Suburban fix before I go back east. Have to go to southern Michigan on family business for a couple weeks.
Looks like a fun trip there. I wanted to run that with Larry earlier this year, but my family's school schedules did not want to cooperate.

The birthday run was with my buddy Lance (1leglance).
Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #988
mosesburb
I had a V-8

So we did a little wandering around the area before heading back down into Durango for the night. We got up the next morning, got some coffee (not for me) and lit out for home. It was going to be another long travel day, but at this point, we're getting used to them. Before we left town, we wanted to smash some pennies on the D&SNGRR tracks, so we went to the upper end of town just in time for the train to come along:

Success. We're ready to go now.

We get down into Kayenta on the Navajo Reservation and stop at the Burger King in town. This Burger King houses the largest Navajo Code Talkers Museum in the United States. Kind of sad that their massive contribution to the war effort is enshrined in a fast food joint, but I guess being housed here will get it more recognition than anywhere else in the area.

I don't think this would be a good place to stop for fuel:

Anyone up for another Superfund Site??

This is the Tuba City Uranium Mill Site. During the nuclear race of the 50's, to satisfy the government's insatiable need for uranium, a mill site was erected here to mill the uranium ore from mines in the Navajo Nation. As usual, the site was left a contaminated mess. We were literally on top of it before I realized what it was (why the pics look so bad). I realized what it was as we were passing, grabbed the camera and shot wildly in the direction. I knew the site was up here somewhere, but I actually thought it was in a different place a few miles from here but also didn't realize a remediation process had been started (actually "finished" in 1990).

The black stuff is a "containment" layer. Contain radioactivity, eh?? I wonder how well THAT works....

The foundations are from what used to be worker housing.

The site is a large source of groundwater contamination and has a treatment facility on site for that as well. Treating groundwater for radiation contamination, eh?? I can't imagine that is going to end well. Ugh. This is just bad all-the-way-around. You can bet that back in the day, workers were not provided any personal protective equipment whether it be in the mines, transportation, or in the mill. They couldn't have lasted long after their employment ran out. Then the ball gets spiked on them again when the mine dumps and mill tailings contaminate their lands and water for the next million (give or take a few thousand) or so years. It's a bad scene any way you look at it. It is kind of an incurable situation. The damage is done, but the price will be paid for a long, long time. This problem is not relegated solely to Navajo lands either. The scene is played out pretty much wherever uranium was mined or milled whether it was on Navajo or private lands.

Kind of a downer on a great vacation I guess, but I bet most people have no idea how we got the uranium that powered our ships and armed our missiles (like the one a few posts back). Kind of brings the whole nuclear thing full-circle I guess.

A little further down the road we are back in the beauty of the Navajo Nation with some colors that make my ridiculously orange Suburban seem more camouflaged than normal:

That looks like a lot of rain over there:

Yep, that's the direction we are going, too. Holy cow, did it ever rain. There was so much rain on the road it was literally a river flowing down the road ruts. Crazy.:

Good thing I changed those wiper blades a few thousand miles ago in Butte Montana. Speaking of repairs in Butte, those wiper blades ended up being the only repair I did the entire trip. The only tools I needed for anything was the Leatherman Wave that always occupies space on my belt. My wife's glasses needed to be tightened up somewhere in Wyoming and once again, I used my Leatherman with it's tiny phillips screwdriver to tighten the hinge screw that was loose. I could have gone on the 4450 mile trip with just my Leatherman and been completely stocked for any occurrence that arose. Of course, I could never actually DO that, but in hind sight I could have. I actually never, even accidentally, touched the tool bag that I carried along on the trip.

So, 4450 miles eh?? Yep, 4450 miles door to door. I forget the exact number of gallons used, but it worked out to just barely under 19mpg. Something like 18.975?? That is pretty good considering how many days we spent at 80mph with headwinds, crosswinds, but seemingly no tail wind. Imagine that, no tail winds?? So, crosswinds you say?? Oh yeah, we had crosswinds. Montana and Wyoming have professional grade crosswinds. Crosswinds that would have destroyed any amount driving stamina I could muster--before my steering mods. Yeah, the steering mods. They were a whole bunch of time and even more money and worth EVERY penny and second of time invested. The truck handled like a dream. The grass lining the roads was laid over flat on the road with crosswind, and the truck drove straight as an arrow. No sawing at the wheel, nothing. Absolutely beautiful. I never would have guessed the improvements would have been so monumental, but they were--and much appreciated at that. No driver fatigue from constantly correcting the direction of the truck, no dealing with sketchy handling when getting passed or passing a large truck. It was fantastic. We had some real long travel days that would have been absolutely miserable in its prior configuration.

So in the end it was nine states, 4450 miles and fifteen days (fourteen if counted by hours). We averaged approximately 13.24mph for every hour we were away from home. Pretty impressive considering how many days we didn't travel very far (that is also not counting the time we spent in Pueblo because my buddy Bill was driving us around in his truck).

All-in-all it was a fantastic trip. In hind sight I would have modified the original itinerary and hit Grand Teton first, then Yellowstone, then Glacier, but if we had done that we would have missed some of the experiences we had because of the route we took, so I'll leave that for next time. Other than that, I really don't think I'd change anything. We got to see a huge chunk of this great land and had a great time doing it. It doesn't get much better than that.

Ill leave this vacation with a parting shot of our glove box door:

I hope you all enjoyed the ride!!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #989
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
The black stuff is a "containment" layer. Contain radioactivity, eh?? I wonder how well THAT works....

The site is a large source of groundwater contamination and has a treatment facility on site for that as well. Treating groundwater for radiation contamination, eh?? I can't imagine that is going to end well.

I hope you all enjoyed the ride!!
There are different types of radiation. Particulate like alpha and beta radiation are basically parts of atoms moving around. And gamma which is like a radio wave but of a different energy. Shielding can be made up of many things, but soil and water actually work quite well. You might think heavy dense metal like lead is the only thing that will "contain" it, but thats just not true. Any physical material can be used as shielding to lower the amount of radiation emitted. For instance, depleted uranium actually makes very good shielding from radiation, if you can wrap your head around that concept. The amount of shielding is usually termed the halving thickness. That basically means the thickness of the material needed to reduce the radiation emitted by half. The soil layer doesn't do anything to remove the radioactive material, but keeps the exposure levels down around it and will keep the wind from blowing them all over and spreading the contamination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_protection

As for water treatment, there are ways to filter or collect some of the radioactive particles from water. The water itself, H2O is not radioactive, but it carries the dissolved isotopes and such with it. Whatever you can remove chemically or through filters is at least better than ignoring it and doing nothing but letting it settle. The only real difference in this situation from the Butte, MT one is that the contamination there isn't radioactive isotopes of the same type of metals, etc.. Will the water treatment fix it? Of course not. But doing nothing isn't going to help either and as long as the actions taken don't make the situation worse, then I would call it good.

As always, I very much enjoyed the ride. That was a doozy of a trip. Looking forward to the next one.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-04-2013 at 04:18 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #990
justcuz

We stayed in Tuba City on our last trip. The time zone change was right across the street from the hotel. We stopped and drove around in the Kennedy Mountains? just before Flagstaff. Beautiful high country there and then down through Sedona to Prescott to finish up. I love traveling in Arizona!

How long before you post up your trip with Lance? Did you guys have nice weather? Everything go without a hitch?

I'm flying out on Thursday and will take my laptop with me this trip. Staying at my Mom's house in southern Michigan. Going to try to hit the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Indiana and the GM Heritage Center in Highland Park, Michigan. My cousin is having open heart surgery on the 14th at the Cleveland Clinic, so it will be a busy 2 weeks. Home on the 20th of November.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #991
Dean'smeanmachine

thats awsome!!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #992
ryanroo

i am just impressed/amazed that you found even one nice thing to say about Kayenta. what a dump.

unrelated side story. i was driving through Kayenta one year the night after my company christmas party. needless to say i was slightly hungover. driving out to vegas. i desperately needed to drop something off and stock up on gatorade and crappy snacks and i was about out of cigarettes. kayenta to the rescue. i braved the restroom, loaded up on gas station hangover remedies and tossed the lady a $50. she hands me a wad of cash back and away i go. somewhere around the virgin gorge/st.george i become once again in desperate need of hangover remedy. pull out my wad of cash and notice that i have $80 some odd dollars. the crazy lady gave me my change and the fifty back. so i save all of it in a separate pocket and stop back in on my way home a few days later. show the lady the receipt and the change. gave her back the fiddy. i have never been looked at like i was such a weirdo. i may as well have been from a different planet. lesson learned, next time you screw up and have to eat a $50 imbalance in your register, i wont help out...

Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #993
ThreeQtr

Quote:
I'm flying out on Thursday and will take my laptop with me this trip. Staying at my Mom's house in southern Michigan. Going to try to hit the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Indiana and the GM Heritage Center in Highland Park, Michigan. My cousin is having open heart surgery on the 14th at the Cleveland Clinic, so it will be a busy 2 weeks. Home on the 20th of November.
Not to hi jack, but it's sounds like you will be near the RV/Motorhome museum in Elkhart IN. Haven't been but have read articles on it. Looks interesting.

http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #994
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
There are different types of radiation. Particulate like alpha and beta radiation are basically parts of atoms moving around. And gamma which is like a radio wave but of a different energy. Shielding can be made up of many things, but soil and water actually work quite well. You might think heavy dense metal like lead is the only thing that will "contain" it, but thats just not true. Any physical material can be used as shielding to lower the amount of radiation emitted. For instance, depleted uranium actually makes very good shielding from radiation, if you can wrap your head around that concept. The amount of shielding is usually termed the halving thickness. That basically means the thickness of the material needed to reduce the radiation emitted by half. The soil layer doesn't do anything to remove the radioactive material, but keeps the exposure levels down around it and will keep the wind from blowing them all over and spreading the contamination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_protection

As for water treatment, there are ways to filter or collect some of the radioactive particles from water. The water itself, H2O is not radioactive, but it carries the dissolved isotopes and such with it. Whatever you can remove chemically or through filters is at least better than ignoring it and doing nothing but letting it settle. The only real difference in this situation from the Butte, MT one is that the contamination there isn't radioactive isotopes of the same type of metals, etc.. Will the water treatment fix it? Of course not. But doing nothing isn't going to help either and as long as the actions taken don't make the situation worse, then I would call it good.
Very good information there. I do not claim to know the specifics of and probably spouted off a bit more than I should have because of that lack of knowledge. I think my pessimism results more from the agency (gov't) responsible for the containment and cleanup, and their ignoring and denying (actually it was litigation) of the problem for decades while the contamination spread and people got sick, diseased and died rather than the actual methods of cleanup/containment used. Frustration; I think that word sums it up?? Thanks for the real information.

Quote:
As always, I very much enjoyed the ride. That was a doozy of a trip. Looking forward to the next one.
Thanks!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy your "stops along the way" in your misc thread too. I know that stuff takes a lot of time to load and post up and it is appreciated.

Quote:
How long before you post up your trip with Lance? Did you guys have nice weather? Everything go without a hitch?
Hell, at the rate I'm going , I'll be lucky to have it posted by the end of the year.... He actually posted about half of the trip in his thread though. I know, crazy right?? Lance posting pictures without prodding and heckling him??

Quote:
Good luck with that. Sounds like fun (except for the whole open heart surgery thing). If you make it to Studebaker and the Heritage Center, you have to post pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
thats awsome!!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
i am just impressed/amazed that you found even one nice thing to say about Kayenta. what a dump.
Yeah, pretty much. Probably a little over 30 years ago we stayed in the motel by the gas station on the south side of the road there in Kayenta. Believe it or not, it was a Holiday Inn back then, no seriously, it was. What a ****-hole. We had our mild-mannered dog with us and she laid by the door all night and growled at the large gap surrounding the door. I think that was the last Holiday Inn we ever stayed at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQtr View Post
Not to hi jack, but it's sounds like you will be near the RV/Motorhome museum in Elkhart IN. Haven't been but have read articles on it. Looks interesting.

http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/
That looks pretty cool!!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #995
justcuz

The RV museums website has some neat photos! I will try to add it to the list. Another of my cousins lives down in Findlay, Elkhart is not too far from there as I recall.

I saw the pictures on Lances thread, looks like you had nice weather.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #996
El Campo

Nick it was a true pleasure meeting you out at Dino's and checking out the burb. It looked even better in real life than on here. Sure did enjoy it!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #997
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man your trips are always so cool! What's the next off road trail trip you're going on??
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #998
1leglance

He still needs to post up his Bday run we did to Tombstone/Bisbee, Az
And I know he took some great pic cuz I was there
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #999
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Nick it was a true pleasure meeting you out at Dino's and checking out the burb. It looked even better in real life than on here. Sure did enjoy it!
Thanks, it was great meeting you too!! Looks better in real life?? Probably because it was in a dark corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Man your trips are always so cool! What's the next off road trail trip you're going on??
Thanks!! Not sure what the next one is, but I do have to post some pics of runs since this one occurred. Probably going to take the truck out of service for a little while to install some of the parts we discussed awhile back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
He still needs to post up his Bday run we did to Tombstone/Bisbee, Az
And I know he took some great pic cuz I was there
Yeah, don't forget about the WFA. You were there too, well, for part of it anyway.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #1000
ryanroo

its about time someone got some use out of those t3 flanges.