The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #51
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

^ Great post Ed F. This is the perspective I share. If your talents lie elsewhere than working on an old truck, do what you're good at to make the money you need so that you're involved in the hobby at whatever level you can afford.

Beautiful boat by the way!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 02-08-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #52
DBK81

For those who say, "No way I can't pay someone to build a truck for me" then why stop there, why pay someone to mill your rims, or buy prestitched interior, everyone needs to get off thier pedestal, just because you might have the time or skill to put together an entire truck, doesn't make the guy who doesn't any less deserving to own one. Some people might value time with family or have a demanding job, or possibly just not have the mechanical abilities to do it themselves. I say any way that one of these trucks can be saved and preserved is good with me. I was lucky enough at the time to be single with no kids and mechanical backround to build my truck, but that doesn't mean I'd ever look down on someone who paid to have one made. Now that I have kids and other commitments I'd never have the time to put what I have together in the time I would want, the only way would be to have a shop build it for me, and that my friends is ok.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #53
Coley

Smile Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

Some really excellent and many amusing responses here.
Clearly the 'live and let live' angle is the way to go.....as it should be.
It is humorous when the somewhat righteous 'gonna do it myself of else' group get caught buying stuff instead of making it....lol.
Enjoy those rides guys....lowered, lifted, painted, patina'd, rodded, stocked, built, shrunk, camped, off-roaded, shortened, lengthened, optioned, tuned.....its all good.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #54
davepl

I've done it both ways, literally, to the extreme. I bet I'm the only person who has both written the check for a true frame-off restoration AND done one from start to finish on their own. Anyone else?

I've dropped my car off at Musclecar Restorations out east and come back in three years with a $250,000.00 check. They did a spectacular job, and it's been almost 10 years, and it's held up like new.

Then I did it the other way, doing almost everything myself. Except for the automatic transmission, which was already freshly rebuilt for another project. I built my truck with the car as the target level of quality, with the admission that I'm not a professional. But aim high, you'll hit your target eventually. I did every fastener on this vehicle myself. Stripped it down to two bare two frame rails. I didn't drill out rivets because I couldn't replace rivets, but I didn't stop until I hit rivets or irreducible components. I paid for paint, but that's about it. Spent a DAY getting the heater control cables lubricated and free. I did my own upholstery even. Took me three years. And 1/5th the cost, because my labor is free.

So, was I stupid when I wrote the check? Was I heroic when I restored the next one myself? Nope. Well, maybe a little on the heroic part :-)

Let's say you have $50M dollars (and to save you the stress, I do not have $50M, I assure you). You love 69 Camaros. You can't time travel, but you have the ability to basically order yourself a brand new 1969 Camaro exactly as you would have travelled back in time to order it yourself. And you'll never know the money is even gone, because your portfolio changes by that in the daily fluctuations of the markets anyway.

What other hobby brings people of such diverse means and backgrounds together in pursuit of similar goals? Don't begrudge the rich guy for paying for work any more than he should turn up his nose at what you call "patina". There's enough stuff to argue over without insulting people the moment they walk in the door just for being who they are.

Others have said it better: "there's a seat for everyone". Don't assume you know me or what's in my head when I write the check any more than you know me or what's in my head when I'm breaking free torque converter bolts and punching flexplates with my knuckles. You don't. But it's the same person.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #55
Ed F

Thanks Davepl for sharing that and I bet you are a rare one for having done both. I wonder what this hobby would look like if bigger money had not joined in. It would just like it did 20-30 years ago. Classic cars in general have never had as much exposure as they have today. Live auctions and more car programs on tv than you can count. Pod casts and radio shows. Multiple internet sites like this one. Car shows and meets held frequently and all over the country. Now consider the parts and after market industry. How many catalog companies are focused on 67-72 GM trucks? I bet the majority of these things wouldn't exist if the interest relied solely on the guy that wants to putter around in his garage on weekends taking several years to complete one truck that he plans to never sell. And where would the value of his completed truck be compared to where it is now? Looks to me like this is a very healthy and diverse hobby and I for one am happy to be a part of it and welcome all that have a desire to join in. And this website is such a huge and valuable resource. Thanks to all those that make it happen.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #56
Yukon gunsmoke

I have just purchased a 1969 Chevrolet SWB and am planning a complete frame off project. Here's the thing, I can only do so much (skill would allow), mechanical no problem, suspension no problem, body work is the problem. I have never done body work so I will repair what I can and will let the professionals finish it. If I try to do everything I would be driving a very reliable turd.

I see no harm is seeking help, if it for 10% or 100% who cares as long as we keep another c-10 out of the junk yard.
Yukon gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #57
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

I'm a firm believer in " Do what makes you happy" I have had way too much $ and time invested in vehicles over the last 40 yrs. I have grabbed an idea thrown lots of money at it and enjoyed every second. Even the parts I didn't really enjoy, I enjoy telling the stories about them. These are my dreams and no one can take the memories and friendships built away. When I'm done on this planet my kids will sell all my stuff for pennies on the dollar and fund their dreams. I am totally OKAY with that. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!! Enlist the help and trust of others build relationships and enjoy your life.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote