The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2024, 05:58 PM   #1
lil hoodlum

What size fuse?

Hi everyone, I had been having too many issues with external voltage regulators and alternators going bad on me.

So I bought a 10si 63 amp alternator and alternator wiring harness conversion kit. Have all that hooked up fine.

I have an aftermarket wiring kit from Painless Wiring in it with a MaxiFuse to protect the elctrical system. My question is what size fuse should I run in the MaxiFuse? I have a 60 amp in it now, but I'm thinking I should put in a 70 amp fuse in it.

1968 C20 327, 4 speed manual, LWB stock height custom camper with heavy duty leaf springs rear, 50th anniversary edition. Hoping to press into daily drive status soon.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:42 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: What size fuse?

On my 68 C10 project I used a Painless wiring kit with a 60 amp Maxi fuse. Zero issues. But I wasn't running a big stereo or anything like that. That 60 amp fuse should only be running up to the fuse block on the fire wall. Please check with Painless.
On my swaps (LS) I ran a 6 gauge wire from the main stud on the starter to the stud on the back of the alternator. No fuse on that wire.
You can just see the Maxi fuse under the heater box.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote