The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
T/C

Bagged 66 swb stepside project: Major Chip Hazard

Going to start a bold thread and play catch up for the last two weeks of work.

The original find

So i first saw this truck about two years ago when our Neghbor’s built there house in conversation i mentioned if they ever wanted to sell to let me know first.

Fast forward to two weeks ago i got a message and bam i got a truck
Day one on the way home (pictures will be attached) not sure if they show or will only be seen if clicking the link but i don’t know how to embed them without a 3rd party site and have not used anything other then Photo bucket several years ago.
Attached Images

T/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
T/C

Re: Bagged 66 swb stepside project: Major Chip Hazard

So after getting it home i started tearing in to see what i was working with.

First thing i noticed is the floor was packed with fiberglass so removed it all to see how bad the cancer was.

I’m not really concerned with rockers or floor pans, but the window rust was disappointing .

At this point i am not worried about the body after the frame is done if i have not found a good cab at that point i will go ahead and start rust repairs. I however may have a solid lead on a solid cab waiting on details.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
T/C

At this point i had decided the end goal. Half of the frame had already been “restored” axle is re built all new bushings and so on. I am however going to strip the existing paint and re cover it with por15 not a fan of what was used.

So time for it all to come apart
Attached Images

Last edited by T/C; 03-02-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
T/C

I do not know why random pictures are upside down. My apologies and when i have time to sit down at the computer i will try to fix the issue. For now consider it electrical effects lol

Anyways with everything apart i wanted everything as clean as possible before pulling the motor, trans and all the likes that come alone with that.

Simple green pressure washer and a few hours later
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
T/C

At this point o got everything removed from the frame to start prepping for the step notch and frame z

However i like to have everything 100% prepared and am blessed to have a engineer cousin who can help me with formulas and math. More on this in the next post.

For now i got everything apart and pained the trans and bell housing while i waited. (Transmission is in great shape but needs new output shaft seal) it’s set to the side untill i have free time again or it’s tile to go back in.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
T/C

I going to break the prep for the z in the frame down in to two posts.

One will be about the jigs to hold everything in place and where i found the best placement to be.

First thing i did was level the frame as best as possible. I took my angle dial and marked spots along the frame (matching each spot on the opposite side of the frame).

The points i used were on the long section where the cab mounts.

The angled section where the trans crossmember is ( i used the freest forward revit as a locator for the dial on both sides.

The bolts on top of the suspension crossmember.

And the flat section forward of the radiator mounting location.

All but the marks forward of the trans crossmember were 0 degrees i believe the trans mark was 22 degrees (don’t use this for comparison i am just giving the number for context to the others)

The goal here was to have numbers to match up after the frame is cut and tacked in place to know everything moved evenly.

Along with these marks i also marked the floor where the legs of my jigs are located.

I am going to be doing a 3” z and extending the frame 1” so the back legs were marked to not be moved. The cross member legs were marked and need to be moved forward 1” when all is done. And the very front is marked and needs to not be moved.

With the jig legs there are some factors with room that you have to pay attention to.

Starting from the cab area

The first legs didn’t really matter they are only there to hold the back half still after being cut they were only used to hold the frame level and keep my zero. I used the body mount bracket.

For the cross member you need 4 braces i braced as far out as possible without having to interfere with cuts. The first legs i mounted up against the shock mounts. The further forward set i mounted just behind where i want to cut the front section.

For the front (bumper radiator area) you have to think some things out. This area is being moved to keep the radiator bumper and steet metal all in place. I am also changing the wheel base so i have to also remove the 1” that i am adding further back so everything will line up.

All of the steering needs to stay with the crossmember and everything else needs to stay with the radiator and bumper so it gets really tight. I chose to cut just behind the bumper bracket that is furthest back i will have to fab up a bracket when doing my frame platting to mount the last hole on my steering box but not a big issue.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
T/C

()

Last edited by T/C; 03-03-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
kdad

Looks great T/C. Your off to a nice start.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Looks great T/C. Your off to a nice start.
I got a plan all it takes is finishing up!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
T/C

Final picture before cutting

Added cross braces, braced the support legs and did cross measurements. I don’t want anything moving and want to be able to make sure nothing did move after tacking in place.

Time to cut see y’all on the other side!
Attached Images

Last edited by T/C; 03-02-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #11
T/C

A lot more welding, need to cut the frame plates and finish boxing everything...

But the frame is all one piece again everything still sits at the the exact same angles as before and measurements are all dead on!

Was excited and wanted to at least post one picture will post more in detail of the process when i finish but won’t Have my plates cut till next weekend probably.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
T/C

Well that’s that. Only thing left is to box it all in and plate the outside of the frame.i didn’t prepare well and don’t have any 3/16th plate at home.

I did get the rough cut templates ready to go so i can cut everything as soo. As i get the plate home this week.

I don’t normally grind welds but needed this smooth for the frame plates so welded out side and on the inside and left the full weld on the inside.

There is also a 1/4 gusset that runs along the entire angled cut and ties everything together internally.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 AM   #13
kdad

Looks great

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
T/C

Got the back all boxed in on passenger side.

Going to try to finish it all tonight after kids go to bed.... step notch gets here tomorrow and want to get started on it ASAP!
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #15
T/C

And done.

Only issue i ran in to was with templates and getting things even on both sides of the frame.

I don’t know if it’s normal or not but the area that curves in for clearance on the shock mount is longer on the drivers side then it is on the passenger side. I had to trim some of the plate and move it back a little and this led to me getting really close to where my trans crossmember is (and where be) when i raise it.

Only negative of it is that the driver side is just not perfectly semetric with the passenger side behind the motor (will big the hell out of me) but does not effect anything.

I’m pleased with the outcome. I ran out of time so didn’t get to clean up all of the fresh metal will have to do it tomorrow night.

Step notch next! Then time to figure out what to do about the trailing arms hitting the frame after i can figure out exactly that will be...
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Duncan K

You're making some good progress, looking forward to seeing more
Old 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #17
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan K View Post
You're making some good progress, looking forward to seeing more
Thanks! Got a show in November it needs to be ready for.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #18
T/C

crisis avoided .... i had some major concern when the packing list had the wrong years on my step notch. Then i was having issues getting it to fit right...

Turns out i had them backwards ��

I talked to Jason with thorbros and he got me squared away on the install big shout out to these guys m. I can admit that when something is not working out i tend to over react and he took care of all of my confusions with no judgement.

There is a short and long side and i somehow failed to notice this.

I also was attempting to tack each notch together and then put it on the frame and this is in correct.

Below i will post a screen shot directly from TB Incase anyone else happens to have the same issue as i was and fail to find the info elsewhere like myself.

Will close with the fact that how important planning is really showed tonight. I blew this notch off as something i didn’t have to worry about and it turned a simple project in to a headache due to ignorance.
Attached Images

Last edited by T/C; 03-07-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
T/C

Update

I went in circles on what i wanted to do to get the last bit of drop that i need in the back i was almost to the point of cutting off the back half and fanning up a new rear frame section.

But before i did i got a wild hair and trimmed the frame a little bit where the radius arms make contact it actually didn’t take as much as i thought it would to drop it down on to the crossmember. I have a tad bit more to trim then Boxing it all in doing some fish plates and going to just run a 2” block (this puts the arms really close to the scrub line but will be okay.

Up front i have right at 3” more to drop the frame on the ground. The ball joints are maxed out though and i don’t want them maxed out even if they do it right when the frame hits the ground.

I am debating between 2.5” spindles and the belltech 3” spindles but need to do more research as i was told that the belltechs are a lot wider then others. For the ball joint issues i am thinking I’m just going to do pie cuts to release the stress just a tad.

I could still do a 1” crossmember section but I’m so close without doing it and would really prefer to avoid all of the troubles that come along with doing it.

Input welcome on my issues!

Here is it sits as of now
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #20
T/C

No updated pictures but i got both crossmembers on the ground tonight.

I am trying something off the wall with the back half of the truck... it may work it may not but if it doesn’t i will just be doing a new back half (already picked up the metal)..

Up front i need to pie cut the upper control arms so the ball joints won’t be maxed out right when it hits the frame the ball joints are hitting there limit and i don’t want that to be the case.

I about 2” more for front to be on the frame.

Kinda at a stand still with everything due to money.

Daughter has to have surgery so no spare change to buy the disc brakes / spindles i need.

I do however habe plenty of other stuff i can do.

Need to finish hooking the steering back up (have a few holes to drill and need to add a tab for the steering box)

Have to build a new crossmember for the 4 speed (i have not found one online all i can find is the modern trans mount style)

Have to cut and modify the trailing arm crossmember and also flip the trailing arm mounts

And a few other odds and ends.

Anyways more to come hopefully i can have some cool pictures this week of a weird plan coming together or of a new back half.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #21
Mack B

I'm following along. I'm excited to see what you got lined up.
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
T/C

Little change in plans. Sometimes things just don’t work out how you plan. I could have made the factory back half work with the notch but the amount of work i was going to need to do for it to be strong made it not worth the trouble.

Will start cutting again tonight
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #23
T/C

With a little bit of computer help frame rails are ready just need to do cross members now!

Super excited to get this together
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #24
T/C

Didn’t get much done tonight other then a steak dinner with the wife and kids.

I did get one rail cleaned up and tacked together though.

Trying to decide how I’m going to do the crossmember...

For the truss on top where the bags and shocks will mount it’s going to be 1-3/4” tube for sure.

In the back can’t decide if i want to do a solid rectangular tube at the very end or another tube (either way I’m going to triangulate it with tube in the square area and just leave enough room before the uprights for my air tank.)

Not much to look at but it’s slowly coming along.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #25
T/C

Today was the day! Got to run over to my buddy’s and get the fish plates cut!

Temp crossmember is now gone and Welded in the main truss tube.

Bags and brackets shipped out today so the plan is to get the front tubes in for some triangulation and weld the back crossmember in permanently. The rest of the truss i am going to hold off till i position my bags and brackets then i will finish that up.

The goal is to have the motor and trans in by this weekend and get started on the transmission crossmember. After that need axel shims to set pinion angle then the cab is going on to cut and make room for the drive shaft.

After that cabs coming back off so i can finish the drive shaft hoop on the trailing arm crossmember.
Attached Images