The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #26
Thrill4130

I have a lm4 aluminum block so I had to drill a hole for the dipstick. When I tried to remove the mounting tab I ripped a big hole in the side of it. So I bent, cut center section out, welded back together with a shorter tab for a cleaner low profile look. I also shortened about a foot out of the trans dipstick. I also made this bracket to mount pcm, Tac Module, obd2 and 2 fuse blocks. Eventually I want all wiring coming out of this spot and having drivers side less cluttered. I wanted it under dash but all together with room for vintage air heater/defrost. I’m going to paint it black tomorrow since it hangs below dash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Thrill4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #27
Thrill4130

Today I got back to the shortbed. I made a taller arch that will help let the 4.25” driveshaft clear a little better. I can’t wait to loose that two piece shaft. Finally got the broken stud out of exhaust manifold flange. I painted them black with some high temp paint. I am going to try and wrap them with titanium wrap tonight. I also painted the aluminum bracket I made to hold fuse blocks, pcm, tac and obd2 port.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
Thrill4130

I have been inside planning out new fuse block setup with a bunch of relays to centralize wiring. Tomorrow when my other fuse block shows up I’ll post some pictures. Finally got in the garage and wrapped manifold today. I need another 50’x1” for the other side. Hopefully it works out and helps exhaust flow better plus keeps heat down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #29
Thrill4130

Here’s some pictures of fuse block setup after I painted it. Ready to install the rest of the wiring once I drop engine in. Excited to have drivers side cleaned up some. Top block has fuses linked together but bottom is open for some key on wiring and some constant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2019, 12:27 AM   #30
Thrill4130

Today was the big day. Started around 10am and finally got the engine mounted to stands around 8pm. Super fun fighting the last broken exhaust stud for around 2 hours ate up a bunch of time. Pulled front clip off which help a ton. I used the f-body pan which is really close to cross member. Had to slide stands back as far as we could and massage cross member a bit. Hopefully the hard part is done because my goal is running and driving by Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #31
Thrill4130

Day 2 of engine swap was slower than expected. First I rode my bike to my friends shop 28miles to get started. Pulled cab wiring out and fuse block. Previous owner had installed column c to flat plug adapter so I linked all my wires into flat style plug. Tedious work but it will pay off having everything ran tucked up how I want it. Tomorrow I will finish up fuse panel and hopefully get close to starting truck up by the end of the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 AM   #32
cornerstone

Re: 67 chevy shortbed PA project

A 28 mile bicycle ride over icy roads to continue work on your truck? Now THAT is dedication. On a side note I think that I now officially qualify as lazy.

Keep pushing man! I wanna see this thing done by midnight Tuesday!!! In all seriousness though, great job and good luck! May there be no more broken bolts in your future

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #33
Thrill4130

Day 3 was grueling. I took a different route today which was 24 miles instead of 28 from yesterday. Fought through wiring up the rest of the fuse block setup. Found that feeding the ls harness through grommet was challenging with pcm plugs hitting the transmission. I need to drill another grommet hole for another set of wiring. Also, ran into issue with valve cover breather hitting coil bracket. I’ll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 AM   #34
Thrill4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
A 28 mile bicycle ride over icy roads to continue work on your truck? Now THAT is dedication. On a side note I think that I now officially qualify as lazy.

Keep pushing man! I wanna see this thing done by midnight Tuesday!!! In all seriousness though, great job and good luck! May there be no more broken bolts in your future
Thanks, now I’m to the stage were the unexpected issues start coming out to test your patience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #35
Thrill4130

Well I haven’t had a update in a couple days so I will try to recap. I went to put the power steering on and apparently the envoy has a wider reservoir setup that doesn’t fit in between the frame rails. So I had to get one out of a truck (seemed like every other one I saw worked including the remote reservoir setup in vans). That held me back a day plus the crazy wind chill day Set me back. I also didn’t realize that I could just cut off metric fitting and reflare high pressure lines directly to pump for a cleaner/cheaper setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #36
Thrill4130

I think this was the day I had a good tailwind so I wasn’t as exhausted when I showed up. Then finally a happy surprise was that I could reuse the 700r4 mount. It bolted right up to 4l60e plus the cross member was already drilled for that mount already. I just had to unbolt cross member and move it forward a inch or two. Also that gave the emergency brake cables room to move (hopefully it will actually work now).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #37
Thrill4130

Now the exhaust day. I had to notch about a 1/4 out of the frame for manifold flange to have a little extra room. I had already welded and hung the exhaust where I wanted it up until the cab bushings. So basically I had to cross under the frame and over to connect them. I’ll don’t have pictures of that yet. I just tacked them together cause welder I was using is dying badly. Then to finish the night I tied the 2 three foot sections of exhaust and welding helmet to my backpack so I could weld them at home. I rode home 22 miles in the dark down highway 13. That was trippy and I would definitely not recommend to anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #38
Thrill4130

Yesterday I got driven to the shop with exhaust and aluminum drive shaft that was shortened. Luckily exhaust bolted up cause I was nervous about fitment. Installed front accessory drive and v-belt after a minute of struggling with layout. New spark plugs installed and connected the rest of the engine plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #39
Thrill4130

Well today was the breaking point. I had to switch seats on bike and double up on padded shorts since my butt feels broken. 9 miles into my ride to the shop I get a rear flat then a minute later a front flat while walking my bike. I decided this is part of the adventure and rode the next 13 miles with two flat tires (somehow the tires stayed on the rims). I was only 8 minutes slower than my fastest time which blew my mind. I had told myself today I was cranking the engine. I started with transmission lines which seemed simple except it was super tight and I couldn’t figure out why fittings wouldn’t go in. Eventually I bent the lines to the right angle and they went in and also fought the little clips. 2 hours later I just wanted something chill to regroup. I start installing fuses and relays and found out I messed up. I had read the relay facing me instead of turned around how you would plug it in. Lesson learned. I will be pulling all 40 pins out and reworking setup under the dash now. So I decided enough was enough and opted to have my truck towed to my house so I could finish up there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #40
Thrill4130

Ok so yesterday I grinded a little flat head screwdriver down to help remove pins i messed up. Today I tried to finish up last couple things to start engine. The transmission lines are holding me up. I tried reusing donor lines but they are 3/8 instead of 5/16. I tried finding adapters but no luck. I ended up getting some adapters and regular 3/8 brake flare nuts. I will run new lines once I figure out best radiator later on down the road. I ran hoses but had to slide radiator towards passenger side to the other holes. I fit air cleaner straight ahead but might change later on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #41
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I watched your build and just noticed we are from the same town!! I would like to check out your build in person.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #42
Thrill4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I watched your build and just noticed we are from the same town!! I would like to check out your build in person.
One of these days next week when it’s warmer I’ll show you around the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #43
Thrill4130

Alright today was the big day. Freezing cold and windy. I started out by having to find longer battery bolts because of 1 gauge ring terminals were thicker. Primed oil and let air out of fuel lines. Fuel pump in the tank is so quiet it was kinda hard to tell if it was working. Fired up like a champ first go. Idled high at first to figure things out then came down to real quiet idle. Oil pressure was great about at 3/4 on my gauge. Cherry bomb vortex mufflers had a good sound. Hopefully tomorrow when it’s warmer I can get it up to temperature so I can see if the fan will kick on. Super pumped just need to clearance for aluminum driveshaft and transmission linkage setup tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #44
cornerstone

Thank God! You have been through the ringer up there. Congratulations man! Lets see the proof now!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #45
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Awesome news! Congrats on hearing her run.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #46
Thrill4130

I don’t know how to post videos on here or I would show it running. I was hoping the driveshaft would fit without having to modify cross member but I was wrong. I put a 1/4” think piece i made in, with plenty of extra space, so I have options later. Hopefully this aluminum shaft was worth the extra work. I figured it’s about 20% lighter but mainly I wanted 1 pc shaft so why not. I might have one leaking fuel fitting left to fix but almost done for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2019, 02:04 AM   #47
Thrill4130

I took the truck out today and found out about limp mode. Apparently I need to sync my new throttle body with the pcm. Randomly just lose throttle control and cruise around 15 mph. Some of the gauges aren’t working right so hopefully I can get temp warning, temp, fuel level to operate correctly when I go to move speedo needle. Seems someone stole my gas cap which was random tonight. I also need to move gas pedal back about 2” I feel a little crammed up. I used some blue led lights which I’m kinda into.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #48
Thrill4130

Just about to hit 2000 miles on the engine swap. Took a road trip with my dad to pick up a camper shell I found on marketplace. Was pretty sure it was longbed but didn’t know it had tall backdoor. Pumped it was in good shape except for some rotted wood in passenger side rear. Car wash yesterday and tonight I pulled the wood paneling/insulation down. I planned on all aluminum frame but I think I will just redo the wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #49
Thrill4130

The plan is to shorten 9 7/8” height off shell. Take 3” width and 20” of length out of camper. Make a smaller door for the back and maybe put same windows in the back door. I also plan on rack bars on top for bikes or canoe. Also curious about how tedious it would be to polish the aluminum.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #50
Thrill4130

Well camper is simple to work on. Kinda just fighting (buttel?) tape under trim cause it’s like sticky taffy. Besides that just hidden staples and swarms of ants. Got almost all the aluminum off today. Picture of where the leak in the back rotted wood out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images