The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
lot204

Change of Plans 65

So I acquired this 1965 C10 from my wife's aunt. The first time I saw it I started asking her when she was going to sell it to me, her response was always, "Never!". Well after several year of bugging her about the truck she finally offered it up to me. Seams after several years being a trusty farm truck the hard labor had finally taken its toll on the old 65.

Currently I’ve had the truck for two years and the build direction has changed several times. One thing that has always remained the same is the visuals. I want to build a truck with the most amount of original steel as possible. This will be a challenge because this poor truck has been worked hard. There is a lot of hammering and dolly work in my future. As for the suspension, my first choice was to keep the frame and purchase a new coil over front suspension and 4-link rear. Well that has now changed to a Roadster Shop Spec Series Chassis. Doing the math this is the best way to go for me, we’ll se if that changes. Engine and trans… LS3 and a Tremac t56 because its gotta be fun to dive.

Below are the pics of when I first brought it home.

lot204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Robert Haas

Re: Change of Plans 65

I have thrown away trucks in better shape then that.

I will say a prayer and follow your build.

That heater/radio delete dash is fantastic.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Android04

Nice start but it looks like you have your hands full. Bed seems to be shifted hard to the driver side, might want to check those bed bolts.

Good Luck and look forward to the progress.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
lot204

The first thing I decided to take care of was the inner and outer rocker panels. I wont go into too much detail, Gibson63 (https://youtu.be/n3X4f-r44-g) on YouTube does a great explaining the process. What I will tell you is at this point I was really naive about aftermarket parts and how much you need to modify them to get them to fit right. Both the front and rear of the outer rocker panel needed to be cut and welded together to fit right around the contours door posts. Also the bottom section of the inner and outer rockers didn’t seam to align to do the spot welds. They could have added 1/8th inch of material on the bottom of the inner rocker panel for the two panels to meet. I’ll just going to clamp and bend the outer panel up and I should be ok. On the drives side I may need to weld a little material in. The last picture is of the drivers side, it is shorter on one end then the other, I’m not sure this is a common thing of I just got lucky.

No longer naive about aftermarket parts…. They are a great starting point, but you’ll have to work them to get them to fit right.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
jimmythompson1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
I have thrown away trucks in better shape then that.

I will say a prayer and follow your build.

That heater/radio delete dash is fantastic.
That sounds a little mean...I'm sure you didn't intend it so, some of us don't have the shop, tools and skill set that you do, but we need our truck time all the same. This truck has it challenges but working on your own project is rewarding Ill be watching this one.
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
lot204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 View Post
That sounds a little mean...I'm sure you didn't intend it so, some of us don't have the shop, tools and skill set that you do, but we need our truck time all the same. This truck has it challenges but working on your own project is rewarding Ill be watching this one.
I don't think he meant to sound mean. On a personal note, I build websites and do other creative/marketing work for a living. Most of my time is spent in front on the computer; to be able to take something like this old truck and build my vision is therapy for me. Hopefully years from now when I’m done someone will stumble upon this thread and be, “Crap, If that guy can do it so can I.” The info is out there to gain the skillset to do this type of work, you just have to seek it.

I’ve seen people work wonders with lesser trucks. Every build has its challenges.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 View Post
Not mean at any stretch of the imagination. My comments are about my experiences with these cabs and how difficult it is. The OP has just enough lack of experience to have the optimistic view to begin. Once that happens it is all about becoming a true builder and not just a person that bolts on parts.

I really believe this build will transform the guy doing the work to a much higher and proficient level. He will come out the other side far ahead of the truck itself.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
roll_the_dice

Nice start. I have watched a lot of Gibson63 videos on youtube also. They are a good learning tool. My wife likes to say I am a "certified youtube mechanic". I don't know how to do a lot, but if I watch a video enough I can get it done. It relaxes me to work on my truck and the more I get into it, the more I enjoy it. Keep up the good work and don't let any naysayers slow you down.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
jimmythompson1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post

I really believe this build will transform the guy doing the work to a much higher and proficient level. He will come out the other side far ahead of the truck itself.
I agree 100% on that Robert
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote