The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Big Jake

1987 Chevy pick-up HELP. Please

Hi guys, this is my first thread and post ever and I really need your help.

Here is what I got. 1987 Chevy Pick-up, 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive, 305, fuel injected, throttle body. Duel fuel tanks

Here is the issue: I have been gone for 90 days for work, semi deployment if you will, and when I get back I get in my old truck, that I love, and it's hard to start, then it starts and runs for a minute then dies. Fuel issue right? Maybe not. I get it running and drive it, then it dies at the fuel station, when I stop. Get is started again, lots of cranking and drive it home. Then it dies again.

Long story short, if you keep your foot on the throttle, it will run, IF you can get it started at all. I switched the tanks via the fuel tank selector switch. Same problem. Now, it won't start at all. It is cranking fine, and it wants to start, but it won't.

Now, I think it has 2 fuel pumps, 1 in each tank right? Well, both didn't go out right? So this makes me think it could be an ignition module. I saw a thread on here where a guy sort of the same problem.

I need help badly. Ignition module? Both fuel pumps? Ignition coil?

Thank you in advance fellas. I really need some help on this one.
Big Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: 1987 Chevy pick-up HELP. Please

Welcome to the site. First, pour a little fuel down the throttle body. Crank it. If it runs for a few seconds, the problem is fuel related. If it does not run, then I would suspect an ignition problem. Another problem is fuel. Today's blends use 10% ethanol, if we believe that crap. Over time, the mixture seperates and attracts WATER!! If you can pump out all the fuel and put fresh fuel in it. Replace the refuel filter.

Check for spark before pouring fuel down the throttle body. You want to know spark is there first. Pull a wire off one of the spark plugs. Put a screwdriver in it. Lay it across the frame rail or exhaust. Crank it. It should spark. If it does not, remove the ignition module and replace it. Since it started previously, I doubt it could be bad. Ignition modules do act up when they heat up. Have it tested at a parts store.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
njlimbaugh

Water in the fuel can be cured by dumping a bottle of HEAT into the tank. It will break up any water into tiny amounts than will pull through the engine without putting out the fire. It's used in the frozen north to help running in sub-zero weather and eliminates moisture formed by condensation.
njlimbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Big Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
Welcome to the site. First, pour a little fuel down the throttle body. Crank it. If it runs for a few seconds, the problem is fuel related. If it does not run, then I would suspect an ignition problem. Another problem is fuel. Today's blends use 10% ethanol, if we believe that crap. Over time, the mixture seperates and attracts WATER!! If you can pump out all the fuel and put fresh fuel in it. Replace the refuel filter.

Check for spark before pouring fuel down the throttle body. You want to know spark is there first. Pull a wire off one of the spark plugs. Put a screwdriver in it. Lay it across the frame rail or exhaust. Crank it. It should spark. If it does not, remove the ignition module and replace it. Since it started previously, I doubt it could be bad. Ignition modules do act up when they heat up. Have it tested at a parts store.
First of all, thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly what my father told me to do. Here is what happened this morning: It started, after some cranking, on the right side fuel tank, the one that wasn't working yesterday! Then I drove it for half hour. It was fine. I bring it home and shut it off, then I tried to start it right back up, nothing! Nothing on left or right side. Just a lot of cranking. So, I tried the fuel in the throttle body deal, still wouldn't start. I tried to get spark, and got nothing there either.

Makes me think it's an ignition module or coil. I am going to replace them both. It sounds like when it gets hot, it shuts off or acts up. But it's weird. Have you ever seen anything like this? This is crazy.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You could have a problem in the tank switch also. It triggers the fuel pumps in an '87. That, or perhaps the switching valve.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
thun

I had a very similar problem and it was my ignition coil. Switch it out and it came right to life. When they are going bad it seems like they can cut out at weird times.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
I had a very similar problem and it was my ignition coil. Switch it out and it came right to life. When they are going bad it seems like they can cut out at weird times.
Yep x2 my buddy was going through the same thing as you and thought it was the fuel pump or starter! Turn out to be the coil. Let us know what you figure out as soon as you get the new parts in. Good luck
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

do you hear the pump(s) before cranking it
my 87 burb had a crack/cut in the wire that went hard baked and green found it over the wheel well
with no noise from the pump i changed it and it worked for a bit then quit again,using a meter then i figured it out
since you guys prob use more salt on a steak then your roads prob not it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
rayfinseats

If it was the ignition moodule it would die suddenly and not start at all. Coil, could be.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
wyattglock

Definitely check your tank switch. Mine was bad and was causing the fuel pumps to short out. Since it is fuel injected, make sure you get the 2 position switch, not the carb switch that is a 3 position momentary switch. Also, coming out of your fuel pump relay there should be a red wire that is not connected to anything. Have someone turn the key to the on position, but don't start it. Have a meter on the red wire and you should see voltage come across. If you don't see voltage you might have a bad relay. Good luck with it, there are a lot of guys on here that know what they are talking about.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Big Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
If it was the ignition moodule it would die suddenly and not start at all. Coil, could be.
That's what it was doing. I pulled it off and it was fired and all the wires are fried! I am going replace it and the coil. I am not getting any spark at all from my plug wires.

One thing though: I have replaced the tank selector switch in the cab. Is there another switch you are speaking about fellas?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Big Jake

BTW. You guys are the best. This place is cool. Thanks so much.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
67_SS396

If its not the fuel selector, I would lean toward the pickup coil in the distributor. They tend to act up on occasion, especially after it's been running a while.
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 - The new hot rod

'77 3+3 Dually - 12 valve 4wd conversion tow rig project

'28 Ford 2 door sedan street rod

RevLimit Offroad

"Hang on beer, we can do this."
67_SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Big Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_SS396 View Post
If its not the fuel selector, I would lean toward the pickup coil in the distributor. They tend to act up on occasion, especially after it's been running a while.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am really worried about that actually. Because if it is, I will replace the whole thing, because I have to take the whole thing out to replace it. If I am going to do that, I am going to replace the whole thing. However, I am not confident in my abilities to get it in, or the new one back in. I have heard it's a real pain in the butt. Since it turns the oil pump ect, I don't think I will be able to do it. Not confident!

Any help with this if it is? I am going to start with the coil and the module first, but I am seriously worried that it's the pickup coil.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #15
67_SS396

If you have to pull the distributor, it's an easy, straight forward job that takes a little patience. Take a few minutes to search around the board for some real good, clear instructions and tips for doing it. If you need help, let us know, we'll walk you through it.
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 - The new hot rod

'77 3+3 Dually - 12 valve 4wd conversion tow rig project

'28 Ford 2 door sedan street rod

RevLimit Offroad

"Hang on beer, we can do this."
67_SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Big Jake

Alright fellas, here is what I did: I just replaced the ignition module, and so far so good. I bought a new coil, but I couldn't get the bracket off of the old one to replace it since it's outside of the distributor cap. It has a housing right on one of the bolts. This housing has a cable running through it that goes to the injection, so I didn't want to mess with it.

Anyway, so far, so good. Thank you guys again for all your help. I really hope this module fixed the issue. From the sounds of it, Chevy's have had a terrible time with this module issue.

Thanks again.