The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Any one experiened what a new reroofing costs ?

I sure have ....I was aiming to reroof 2 years ago and Covid came out. What a cost jump since then..

I got 3 estiments for 39 square Asphalt roofing
High one was - $19,875.00
Low on was --- $14,435.00

They use a apt now to give you a square roof measurement

I chose the middle one with the most best reviews by people I know and people they know ,, he wanted $ 17,500,00 and then with my sob story he came down to $16,200.00 and I got this guy to go up on the roof and measure it ,, he came down off the roof and took his pencil and paper and in front of me added it all up and it came out right at 39 squares just like the apt does
Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
best view

Re: Any one experiened what a new reroofing costs ?

That’s a tuff question ive been a mass licensed roofer for 50 years, how many stories is it, whats the pitch, how many valleys cheek walls stripping it off but how many layers or going up and over it also whats the quality of the shingles you want, for 39 sqs ripping off the old shingles and putting on a 25 year shingle that’s not a bad deal
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
kwmech

Not a bad deal at all. My simple 4/12 roofs (house and garage) ran me close to 40k with all the new 'fire code' upgrades and sealing under the solar panels. New covered gutters--mandatory in the fire zone I'm in. Ice and dam sealer under the panels, couple of small dry rot repairs. New rafter trim in a few places. 2 new sky lights. Adds up quick. All in all the job came out really nice and i don't have to worry about it the rest of my life unless I make it into my late 90s. House had 2 roofs on it that had to be removed. I was left with the painting to touch things up
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:14 PM   #4
dieseldawg142

Any one experienced what a new reroofing costs ?
sure have, but it only cost me about 3 grand to re-roof my house as it's my trade.
the price is not so much covid, welcome to oil company greed...
in the last few yrs our material costs have skyrocketed, as pretty much all our materials are petro based. with the price of fuel going up all the time our suppliers are telling us to not put estimates out for more than a month or so cause they don't know if they can honor the prices that long.
and ya, there are apps, but no good roofer will give a price without going up on the roof. there is just too many variables for a price, and it gives the roofer an idea if there is any rot or "special" details.
you wouldn't believe how many people think we can just give a price over the phone.
want a rough breakdown of the price?
looking at roughly $7000 for your materials, and less than a grand for tipping fees for disposal. not being from your area and knowing your labor costs that leaves the rest for labor and profit. your paying around $400 a sq for your roof, which is about average for a single layer tear-off
despite the price remember this, the value of the roof is about 5% of the cost of your house, but it covers 100% of your investment...
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:32 PM   #5
GOPAPA

All good information guys ,, you all are in the know for sure,, Another thing the roofer told me was ,,in about 3 weeks from when he was here a week ago ,,he said my roof would be around 3 k more as prices are going up at that date for roofing material.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:31 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

We had our roof done by a former board member years ago. Im sure its getting close for a new one. We might look at metal this time around. But hoping to hold it off for awhile.

Its one of those things we planned for when we retired, still going to suck when it comes time to write that check though.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:29 PM   #7
GOPAPA

I did my own out in Oregon ,, hired a guy to help but he was all wind and I found I was teaching him how to do it ,, fired him and finished it myself ,, I went to Portland and bought my 3 tab from a place that buys all of the Malarky seconds ,, the ones that have a bit of two colors on them from when they change colors ,, I just put all them on the rear of my house ..put the good ones on the front ,,only problem I had was none were packaged up ,,but it saved money from $56 dollars a square to what I paid was $19 a square .
Old 03-30-2024, 08:45 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I am going through this right now.

Insurance estimate on mine for 30 year shingles was just over $24,000 from hail damage. Ins Co. hired an independent guy to figure out the roof area using a drone. He took 240 pictures of the roof and stitched them all together with a computer. 40sq one layer. The insurance company uses a special software to figure the cost and the first contractor I contacted used the same software, so his estimate was just about down to the penny of the insurance company.

I decided to go with 26ga metal with a Sherwin Williams textured finish. The cost for that is $20,000.

There are a couple of Amish crews that install a lot of metal roofs around here and they have good reputations.

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:02 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Just had go have mine redone to be able to keep my insurance. Not abig house, but it was a 12k for mine. I don't knowvthe physical measurement, but house is 1800 sq ft us double carport and porch the same size as carport.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:07 PM   #10
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
sure have, but it only cost me about 3 grand to re-roof my house as it's my trade.
in the last few yrs our material costs have skyrocketed, as pretty much all our materials are petro based. with the price of fuel going up all the time our suppliers are telling us to not put estimates out for more than a month or so cause they don't know if they can honor the prices that long.
and ya, there are apps, but no good roofer will give a price without going up on the roof. there is just too many variables for a price, and it gives the roofer an idea if there is any rot or "special" details.
you wouldn't believe how many people think we can just give a price over the phone.
looking at roughly $7000 for your materials, and less than a grand for tipping fees for disposal. not being from your area and knowing your labor costs that leaves the rest for labor and profit. your paying around $400 a sq for your roof, which is about average for a single layer tear-off
despite the price remember this, the value of the roof is about 5% of the cost of your house, but it covers 100% of your investment...
I don’t know how big your roof is but, $3000 doesn’t sound like a lot of money to re roof your house.
I typically don’t comment of the price of things. I strongly believe a man is worthy of his wages.

I would agree that covid is not the reason everything is extremely high.. it’s not just gas/petroleum. I’d suggest that it’s not just greed from oil companies. I remember ships sitting in the ocean with cargo onboard for long periods of time.
I also remember I was one of the very few guys in my trade that was able to continue to work.
It wasn’t the greedy oil companies that shut them down.
It was the greed of power.
There has been a lot of dopeyness going on for a few years now and I’m not talking just about “covid” since you brought it up.
I don’t want to pretend it’s all on the oil companies.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:35 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Mine was ~$30k last year, but we had a bunch of sheathing and rafters replaced. Cost has a lot of variation based on what the roof needs.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:38 AM   #12
Rickysnickers

Larry, if you haven't already signed a contract, have Signature Roofing give you a bid. I've had them out a couple of times to inspect my roof after we've had some really strong winds. It's always a free service and they have never tried to push any unnecessary repairs on me. Additionally, a general contract I know speaks highly of them as well.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:11 AM   #13
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Larry, if you haven't already signed a contract, have Signature Roofing give you a bid. I've had them out a couple of times to inspect my roof after we've had some really strong winds. It's always a free service and they have never tried to push any unnecessary repairs on me. Additionally, a general contract I know speaks highly of them as well.
Thanks Rick ,,already signed on with a roofer ,, I did have 4 other people I know give Legacy a good name and even though they were the middle bid and not the bottom that some people take ,, I am to have it done 3 days from now.. not sure if the weather is with out rain ,, we will see,, sold my 39 and now it is going to be my roof,, got my truck running good ,, good to hear from ya .
Old 03-31-2024, 06:14 PM   #14
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:

Perhaps you could go live in a cave since oil is so evil?. Big ole’ evil Oil and gas is very much the least of the culprit of the problems we have in the world today.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:47 PM   #15
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
I donÂ’t know how big your roof is but, $3000 doesnÂ’t sound like a lot of money to re roof your house.
I typically donÂ’t comment of the price of things. I strongly believe a man is worthy of his wages.

I would agree that covid is not the reason everything is extremely high.. itÂ’s not just gas/petroleum. IÂ’d suggest that itÂ’s not just greed from oil companies. I remember ships sitting in the ocean with cargo onboard for long periods of time.
I also remember I was one of the very few guys in my trade that was able to continue to work.
It wasnÂ’t the greedy oil companies that shut them down.
It was the greed of power.
There has been a lot of dopeyness going on for a few years now and I’m not talking just about “covid” since you brought it up.
I donÂ’t want to pretend itÂ’s all on the oil companies.
unfortunately i don't live in a mansion... my house is 1000 sq ft, or about 15 sq of roofing.
any roof the material costs are about 1/3 to half the cost of the job. labor is where the real money kicks in. it's a real physical job and the end result has to last 25-30 yrs without fail, that kind of expertise is not cheap...
shingles cost me $1500 (i buy them thru my bosses account, he gets a discount, $100 per square) and about 8 sq was a strapped deck that i had to sheet with 25 sheets of plywood (approx $750). also spent about $100 on new vents and stacks. the other $5-600 was for torch-on for my garage.
i too believe a man is worth his wages, but i'm not gonna charge myself for doing my roof
and half to disagree to agree about the oil companies. our material costs have literally doubled in the last couple years. we had no supply shortages of our petro based products, but we did have a shortage of roof insulation, that is 4x8 phenolic panels. been roofing since 1980 and have never seen our prices go as crazy as they have last couple yrs. and the petro we use in our products is "bottom of the barrel", so someone somewhere is making a lot of money off the lousiest oil left after refining
Old 03-31-2024, 06:58 PM   #16
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Perhaps you could go live in a cave since oil is so evil?. Big ole’ evil Oil and gas is very much the least of the culprit of the problems we have in the world today.
never said oil was evil. your throwing assumptions out there.
i use petro products every single day, but when my costs double, it ain't because the delivery driver who delivers our material is not making more, or the guys at the Soprema plant down the road from me aren't making more either, despite what you or anyone else thinks, were paying thru the nose for oil because of greed.
i have multiple family members in the alberta oil patch, and the money they make for the little they do is unreal. FULL STOP.
as i said once before, no probs with profits, but when you complain about the cost of your roof, 75% of the complaints can be laid at the feet of oil company greed.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM   #17
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Nothing wrong living in a 1000 sq sf home. I’d bet you came by it honestly with hard work.
In my estimation being a roofer is one the 3 hardest jobs. The other 2 being a brick layer and working concrete. Outside in the elements year around.

My supply costs have skyrocketed also. Tackstrip,seam tape,metal afterply and the list goes on. But it’s just to easy to scapegoat the oil industry. There is a bigger problem and it’s hard to sort it out.
I’ll keep swinging my hammer til I can’t no more.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:34 PM   #18
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
never said oil was evil. your throwing assumptions out there.
i use petro products every single day, but when my costs double, it ain't because the delivery driver who delivers our material is not making more, or the guys at the Soprema plant down the road from me aren't making more either, despite what you or anyone else thinks, were paying thru the nose for oil because of greed.
i have multiple family members in the alberta oil patch, and the money they make for the little they do is unreal. FULL STOP.
as i said once before, no probs with profits, but when you complain about the cost of your roof, 75% of the complaints can be laid at the feet of oil company greed.
I will always defend the industry that I love dearly and unapologetically. Don’t forget we work in one of the most dangerous professions around. Ever had to deal with H2S? How about constant fire hazards? Being away from home weeks on end with out seeing those you love? It can be easy to point the finger when you don’t walk in the boots. I’m sure you’re no stranger to hard work, but us oil and gas guys bust our asses equally hard, a lot more than we sometimes get credit for. 12-16 hour days are pretty normal in most fields. We don’t get to set our prices on the oil we sell. The market does it. I’m a supervisor for a large NW New Mexico production company with 400,000+ acres of leases and future endeavors. We are told monthly what we will will be paid for bbl’s and MCF’s.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 03-31-2024 at 08:39 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:14 PM   #19
weq92f

Most recent was a few years back...full insurance deal due to hail storm. One window replaced, several window repairs and other replacement/repair of broken or damaged items related to the storm. Bill was ~40k.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:07 PM   #20
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Nothing wrong living in a 1000 sq sf home. I’d bet you came by it honestly with hard work.
In my estimation being a roofer is one the 3 hardest jobs. The other 2 being a brick layer and working concrete. Outside in the elements year around.

My supply costs have skyrocketed also. Tackstrip,seam tape,metal afterply and the list goes on. But it’s just to easy to scapegoat the oil industry. There is a bigger problem and it’s hard to sort it out.
I’ll keep swinging my hammer til I can’t no more.
22 yrs of hard labor to pay off the house. and ya, being a brickee is just as bad as roofing. my buddy does it, packing 5 gal pails of mortar and bricks up and down scaffolding all day.
and i hear ya, there's 2 kinds of people, those that swing hammers and those that push pencils...i to am a hammer swinger and will be till i retire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I will always defend the industry that I love dearly and unapologetically. Don’t forget we work in one of the most dangerous professions around. Ever had to deal with H2S? How about constant fire hazards? Being away from home weeks on end with out seeing those you love? It can be easy to point the finger when you don’t walk in the boots. I’m sure you’re no stranger to hard work, but us oil and gas guys bust our asses equally hard, a lot more than we sometimes get credit for. 12-16 hour days are pretty normal in most fields. We don’t get to set our prices on the oil we sell. The market does it. I’m a supervisor for a large NW New Mexico production company with 400,000+ acres of leases and future endeavors. We are told monthly what we will will be paid for bbl’s and MCF’s.
actually i use some of the harshest chemicals that you can think of everyday. we have MSD's for 95% of the products we use.
and constant fire hazards? buddy, i play with fire every. single. day. at work. after falls, fires and fire hazards are the biggest threat we face everyday. our kettles run 1 million btu's, our membrane torches run at 600000 btu's, even our hot air welders get more than hot enough to light up paper and wood. the minute we step off the ladder, every step up there is a game of death. you don't really get a second chance going sideways off a building.
no i don't work in the oil industry, so i can only speak for what i've seen myself. my nephew sits in a vac truck for 10-12 hrs a day playing on his phone. in a 12 hr shift he will actually only be vaccing for maybe an hr or two, and he makes $42 per hr. think about it, only works a couple hrs a day at $42 per hr but still makes close to $500 every day-make of it what you want.
what i would like to be explained so maybe i can understand better is why earlier this week mar 25 2024, our gas was $1.59 a liter ($6.02 per gal) and than on thursday mar 28 2024, (day before Good Friday long weekend) our fuel jumped to $1.89 a liter ($7.14 per gal) and today now that the long weekend is over, our fuel came down to $1.85 a liter ($6.90 per gal)
the funny thing is though oil was $86 a barrel on mon mar 25, and on thursday mar 28 oil was $83 a barrel....????? cheaper oil yet we have to pay more? what am i missing here? after doing a little digging, turns out no refinery's were shut down for maintainence, far as i can tell no terrorist attacks on any oil infrastructure...so why did our fuel go up over a buck for the long weekend?

from US energy information;
On March 25, 2024, the Brent crude oil price stood at 86.11 U.S. dollars per barrel

also from US energy information;
March 28 Crude Oil: 83.17 (+1.82). Nymex MTD AVG: 80.5455. Natural Gas: 1.754
Old 03-31-2024, 10:30 PM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

It isn't any of the people in the trenches who are the problem. To quote Don Henley, "A man with a briefcase can steal more money than a man with a gun".

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:21 AM   #22
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
It isn't any of the people in the trenches who are the problem. To quote Don Henley, "A man with a briefcase can steal more money than a man with a gun".
And get a much lighter sentence for stealing more money when he does get caught.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 AM   #23
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Another Don Henley quote, same song.
“From Main Street to Wall Street to Washington”
“From men to women to men”
He indicts everyone.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

No one has suggested that people working in the oil industry are evil or greedy. The fact is, along with all other forms of corporate retail, greed has caused astronomical inflation, post Covid. It's true about all branches took losses due to the slowdown. That was four years ago and the opportunists have more than made back their loses. Also, there is no inflation button in Washington, DC. Throughout my life, all it has taken was a shortage (real or not) or a disaster for corporations to take the opportunity to jack up prices. I was just getting out of HS when we had the oil embargo in '73 and ever since then no prices have been stable like they were prior to then. Before that, everywhere you went for decades bubble gum was a penny, candy bars and soda pop was a dime, and gas was the same price. Next thing we knew the sugar and paper industry came out with "Hey, we have a shortage. We want more money, too". and it has gone from there ever since. A temporary issue comes along and prices go up forever. It's corporate greed. Small businesses and the buying public get stuck with the bill without increase in pay

The cost of a shingle roofing job has somehow quadrupled in just a few decades. It is a must have home maintenance feature of all homes and the industry knows it. So, there's your greed beyond the oil companies. Roofing is also closely tied to our honest friends, the insurance industry, who we all know wouldn't think to charge a penny more than needed . Around here the residential roofing crews have become almost exclusively 8 or so cheap labor 5 footers who strip and lay down a roof in one day. makes it hard for a contractor intent of doing quality work to compete.

My material costs have gone up and up and up in all this time, yet I have people telling me my hourly rate is too high. They can beat on my price but you don't see buyers beating down the suppliers (middleman). My hourly rate has been the same for 20 years. What do you buy today for 20 year ago prices. Yeah, I don't either

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2024 at 09:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:25 AM   #25
Rickysnickers

Far be it from me to say anything, since there are more ranking members on here than what I am, but can we got back on topic please? It was roofing if I recall.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote