The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
jhrusk

Consigning a vehicle

Has anyone consigned a vehicle with someone like gateway, RKmotors or streetside classics and what was the experience like. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Consigning a vehicle

I did a consignment locally. Dealer just used my truck to generate traffic. after a month and ahalf I went to pull it and found out he was asking such rediculous money for it that it would never have sold. This is not a normal experience.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
flashed

If you consign it check with your insurance carrier as it may be void while there and something happens to it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don't think you need anyone's help to sell these trucks. Certainly no need to pay for that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
jhrusk

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't think you need anyone's help to sell these trucks. Certainly no need to pay for that.
Time is money. If you want to stand around all day talking to losers from Craigslist who come out and kick our tire because they think an old truck is something that they can likely talk you out of...

But I hate talking to strangers to begin with, so would much rather pay someone (like a car salesman) who does it for a living to put up with it.

I bought a '69 Pontiac Brougham at an auction in Florida and sold it at a consignment dealer in Seattle for -exactly- what I paid for it (less taxes and commissions which make it easy to fool yourself about your great deal!). Never had to deal with either end of the transaction other than paying/receiving.

Some people like talking to strangers. I don't!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Coley

There are ways to advertise it and sell it yourself and still limit the CL-losers that Dave identifies...because they are out there.

First, assert that they have to call you on (.....wait for it)....the phone....no text messages, etc,....assert and control this in the ad.
That will immediately drop off a big portion of the flakes who live in the 'text only' world....noting that most people who use that to communicate are in all likelihood, not a serious buyer.

Anyone looking to spend more than $5000 on a vehicle (depending on what your asking) will pick up the phone and call....I know I would as would most guys here.
Old school is increasingly Real school these days.

Quick selling tips:
If they make an appointment tell them to call if they are going to be late or if they can't make it....very simple.
Tell them you may have an appointment around that time so its best they try to stick to the agreed upon time. (give or take a few minutes of course)
If they are more than 20 minutes late, without giving you notice....go take the truck out for a drive and a coffee and relax.
I've had excellent success in asserting the above on potential buyers...and thus have limited my 'flake' factor in selling things.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
I did a consignment locally. Dealer just used my truck to generate traffic. after a month and ahalf I went to pull it and found out he was asking such rediculous money for it that it would never have sold. This is not a normal experience.
I bought a local-to-me truck off eBay once for 23k ( pending inspection ). After inspection I declined the purchase for several reasons.

A few weeks later, the same truck came up for sale at one of the big eBay stores for like 40k. I suspect that 'store' is a consignment setup like you describe. Your experience helps explain to me some of the crazy pricing I see at these 'stores' that have too many listings at too high prices.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Time is money. If you want to stand around all day talking to losers from Craigslist who come out and kick our tire because they think an old truck is something that they can likely talk you out of...

But I hate talking to strangers to begin with, so would much rather pay someone (like a car salesman) who does it for a living to put up with it.

I bought a '69 Pontiac Brougham at an auction in Florida and sold it at a consignment dealer in Seattle for -exactly- what I paid for it (less taxes and commissions which make it easy to fool yourself about your great deal!). Never had to deal with either end of the transaction other than paying/receiving.

Some people like talking to strangers. I don't!
I don't have that social issue, so don't need to pay someone to compensate for it. I have sold plenty of vehicles in my life and because I have dealt with all sorts of strangers in my life across the board I have learned how to deal with the unreasonable ones and remain the one in control of my sale. I try to feel potential buyers out prior to arranging getting together. Many never get to that point. I have been self-employed since '82 so I realize time is money. And, I have made my living through dealing with strangers.

I don't recall any negative experiences that would prompt me to hiring someone else to deal with my selling. On Craigslist I never give my phone number, which eliminates the texts. It's strictly through the indirect e-mail they provide. My two most recent sales were my '85 Jimmy Diesel I sold for 40%+ more than I had into it to the first person to show interest. Although I had two others waiting with money in hand. One lived on my road a mile in one direction and the other about four in the other. That was when it wasn't for sale. They were disappointed I decided to take it to spring Carlisle with me and it sold there. My space cost me $100, I made 10x that back just on parts sales all the while enjoying three days of dealing with strangers and friends who were once strangers.

The other was a '71 I listed on Craigslist. I'd post it up and get all kinds of responses, but none I cared to see through. Mostly it was "So what's the best you can do on it?". My standard response is "Come take a look and tell me why you think it's worth less than I'm asking". Nips that crap in the bud. I would post it up, get the responses in the first day or two, let it run out, and months later I'd decide to give it another shot when convenient. It's not like I was desperate for the money. After a couple cycles of the S.O.S. I came to realize maybe I was luring flippers by not asking enough... people judged it as less than it's worth by my reasonable price. So I listed it for close to half again more and sold it for my asking price right away to a guy from over 400 miles away. He came to me, so didn't have to spend time taking it to a dealer or wasting time dealing with them on the terms and signing an agreement for their cut. The next week the guy had it on Craigslist for more, so he was flipper. I have learned a lot through my selling experiences to where now it is no big deal at all. In fact I enjoy it and the money I have made with my time.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-23-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
davepl

Quote:
I don't have that social issue
No, you have your own issues, I just don't mention them or label other people's preferences as "issues".

I would say you need to spend some years in retail. Your opinion of the general public seems unreasonably high. Get out there and mingle with the masses a bit. I mean the Walmart masses that will be buying your truck.

Maybe you love dealing with all factions of the truck buying public, and that's great. I value my time and would rather pay someone to sell vehicles while I build electronics or put a new float in the front guestroom toilet, but I'm not going to stand around talking to people who come to my house to tell me how little my vehicle that they want to buy is worth, and rub my paint, and so on. I'm glad you enjoy that process, I do not.

Last vehicle I sold, a 1969 Bonneville Brougham, sold for more through consignment than I would have got privately, I know that much. They beat the bushes and found a buyer for a reasonably rare and narrow interest vehicle. That's worth time and money.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I apologize to all for this distraction. I could ignore but I promise this is it for me. I don't require people to agree with my views and realize there will always be two sides to every fence. I tried offering a short post expressing my feelings on this matter, then was quoted by someone not comfortable with others having a different view... apparently

Dave, I can agree to disagree. I feel there is no need for help selling old GM Trucks which is based on my own actual experiences. As seen through the posts of others here, there are drawbacks with selling on consignment just as with dealing with the sale yourself. I know I trust myself more than I do someone who wants to make money off of me. And it takes time to deal with arranging a consignment as well. Personally, I'd rather deal with buyers than a salesman.

I'm not here to defame anyone and I know myself well enough to know what issues I have. I only used the words I chose after you said twice that you don't like to talk to strangers, which to me is anti-social. How do you meet new people?

As I said I have made a living through dealing with the general public for 36 years. I respond to requests for my services, present the cost/proposal, execute the work to their various requirements, and collect payment on services that carry no set price, which has given me what I feel is a better more varied experience dealing with the public than ringing up purchases with set prices that the customer has already chosen to buy.

As I promised... Done.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-25-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
S_Gibson

I tried to have a dealer sell a late model loaded 4wd Nissan pickup for me. It sat on their lot for 6 months and I finally picked it up and put it on Craigslist. I got a about a half dozen lowball offers through text and one call from a guy 230 miles away asking when he could look at it. The guy drove down the next day (a Friday) I let him drive it and he offered me $1000 to hold it until Monday when he could return with a certified check from his bank for the full asking price. It told him not to worry about a deposit and to give me a 1/2 hour notice when he would be in town and I'd meet him at my credit union. He showed up with a check for $22,000, my credit union verified the funds, notarized the title and we both left happy.

My experience with consigning was negative and a waste of time. I ended up making more selling it myself and took me less than a week. Good luck whatever you decide.

I sell on Craigslist quite often. On thing I'm very adamant about it setting a price I'll accept and sticking to it. I have 0 tolerance for lowballers and at the first sign of it I walk away. I have the item being sold so I control the sell. I waste minimal time with people. Over 90% of the people I've met with have been great people and a couple I still keep in touch with.

Example: I remember several years ago selling a dishwasher. Posted if for $75. I was specific in my post the price was firm. First person that came to look at it drove 25 miles. I took him down to the garage where I had it sitting right at the garage door. He looked at it and said "$30 sounds about right, that is what I'm willing to give you for it." I didn't say a word, shut my garage door, walked away and went inside. The guy stood there for about 5 minutes and finally left. His 1 hours commute wasted, only cost me a couple minutes. 2 hours later a girl came buy in and gave me full asking price.

That long story short, control the situation and don't let anyone waste any more of your time than needed. First time someone started kicking the tires and commenting on negatives I'd lock the truck and walk away. Everything after that is going to be a waste of your time.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
jhrusk

Thanks for the insite every one. I should have been a little more specific in my question. The truck in mind would be more expensive than what I usually see on Craigslist. These classic car dealers have a large network of people thst see it and also have financing available. The truck in my build thread will give you an idea of the truck. Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
Thanks for the insite every one. I should have been a little more specific in my question. The truck in mind would be more expensive than what I usually see on Craigslist. These classic car dealers have a large network of people thst see it and also have financing available. The truck in my build thread will give you an idea of the truck. Thanks for the advise.
Probably the very best thing you can do to help a 'Consignee' sell your vehicle is to provide an extremely accurate, high detail, in depth piece of documentation for the truck and insist that they use it in their marketing.
There is nothing worse than listening to one of the dealers clucking on about a vehicle and constantly getting the facts wrong about it....thus killing the deal for a lot of serious potential buyers.
What is original, what isn't, etc.

my two bits.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
davepl

Quote:
I apologize to all for this distraction. I could ignore but I promise this is it for me. I don't require people to agree with my views and realize there will always be two sides to every fence. I tried offering a short post expressing my feelings on this matter, then was quoted by someone not comfortable with others having a different view... apparently

Dave, I can agree to disagree. I feel there is no need for help selling old GM Trucks which is based on my own actual experiences. As seen through the posts of others here, there are drawbacks with selling on consignment just as with dealing with the sale yourself. I know I trust myself more than I do someone who wants to make money off of me. And it takes time to deal with arranging a consignment as well. Personally, I'd rather deal with buyers than a salesman.

I'm not here to defame anyone and I know myself well enough to know what issues I have. I only used the words I chose after you mentioned twice that you don't like to talk to strangers, which to me is anti-social. How do you meet new people?

As I said I have made a living through dealing with the general public for 36 years. I respond to requests for my services, present the cost/proposal, execute the work to their various requirements, and collect payment on services that carry no set price, which has given me what I feel is a better more varied experience dealing with the public than ringing up purchases with set prices that the customer has already chosen to buy.

As I promised... Done.
I'm glad to hear you're so kind and easy to get along with. If that's the case, and that's -ACTUALLY- how you claim to operate, then you owe me an apology for saying that the fact I don't enjoy meeting strangers in parking lots to sell things means I have social "issues".

There are about 200 pages of the DSM-IV psychiatric manual dedicated to such social issues but I do not actually suffer from any of them, as far as I know [or at least not the antisocial stuff, I'm sure we're all in that book somewhere].

You said it, so you should own own it. Instead of telling me how glowingly you've dealt with the public for 36 years, pay attention to how you dealt with me. It was inappropriate.

As for dealing with people, I grew up in retail, as a clerk in a hardware store, from infancy to adulthood. That means I actually do know how to interact with strangers. And if someone had an opinion about a product or service we sold, I wouldn't tell them "Well, then I guess you have issues."

Don't puff out your chest at me because you're outraged someone dared to call you on your behavior. Own your post. Apologize or double-down.

You've also called me anti-social in your retort. I have a wife, four kids, 36 employees, 2 close life-long-friends and about 8 "buddies" whom I see several of each week. So again, disagnosing me as anti-social is rude and inaccurate.

In fact, if you go back through my posts, you'll find I have met board members in public and at my home to GIVE AWAY parts many times, including complete toppers, wheels tires, windshields and more.

The fact I don't want to sell anything doesn't give you the right to make any bold proclamations about my personality, thanks, so I'd appreciate if you just apologized this time and refrained from doing it in your posts with me (or anyone) going forward. Note how I have objected to your treatment of me witout making a SINGLE claim about you or insulting you. It's not that hard.

Talk about trucks, not their drivers, and you'll be fine.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
jeffahart

Now everyone gets to read my story again, the one about the Celica GT I sold.

Anyhow, I marketed a Celica GT with a sign in the window. Remember the good old days when you parked in an empty lot and put a sign in the window with your phone number. I sold it pretty quick but, two days later Sheriff Deputies came to my door asking where I was last night. Of course I was at the same place I always am, at home with no alibi. They said I didn't fit the description. Told them I sold the car two days ago. I thought how nice it was I dealt with a person in a parking lot that robs liquor stores at gun point. Yes, the vehicle was involved in an armed robbery!

I now sell my stuff by known networking. I too have had a few guys over my house from this board and given away a few parts. I run lean and clean in my garage, for the most part.

You just never know what's in someones head... mines empty... I think!

j
Old 09-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #17
Low Elco

Not for nuthin'- but if you're selling Sanford, I'd look into one of the bigger auctions, as that ain't your average hardware store truck. Also, if you're not in a hurry, lots of sales going down at Goodguys, Shades, Turkey Run, Etc. Don't know if I'd give some hustler a nickel if I could go have fun and make it happen. Also, if you're on FB, There's a lot of c-10 groups with a lot of truck flowing through them. Look into it, that's where we got ours. Good Luck, and Dayum, that's a fine truck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've been to streetside classics in Charlotte a few times. Their prices are on the high end, but they seem to carry higher quality vehicles. While a few were significantly overpriced (this could be at the owner's request and not theirs), if you took into account you were pretty much at a "dealer" and they take a cut of the sale, most prices were a reasonable starting point.

I've only been on weekends, but I can tell you Streetside in Charlotte has really good foot traffic. How many people are serious buyers, I don't know, but if you want to get a lot of eyes on your vehicle and not deal with the hassle, it might be for you. At least find out what their cut is, if they guarantee a sale by a certain date, etc.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Now everyone gets to read my story again, the one about the Celica GT I sold.

Anyhow, I marketed a Celica GT with a sign in the window. Remember the good old days when you parked in an empty lot and put a sign in the window with your phone number. I sold it pretty quick but, two days later Sheriff Deputies came to my door asking where I was last night. Of course I was at the same place I always am, at home with no alibi. They said I didn't fit the description. Told them I sold the car two days ago. I thought how nice it was I dealt with a person in a parking lot that robs liquor stores at gun point. Yes, the vehicle was involved in an armed robbery!

I now sell my stuff by known networking. I too have had a few guys over my house from this board and given away a few parts. I run lean and clean in my garage, for the most part.

You just never know what's in someones head... mines empty... I think!

j
What Idot BUYS a car and then uses it in a robbery? Everyone knows you STEAL one, duh.

That would be enough for me to never sell another car
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
I agree, I'd never list on Craigslist a vehicle of higher caliber and value. I can't imagine how that could go. Craigslist has it's place for "getting rid of" things for free. It's not that dealers have no place in this, but in my experience I have never had the need for their services. I have sold through classic car publications as well as classic vehicle websites on the inter-network with great success. Heck, in most vehicles I have driven I have had people wanting to buy before deciding to sell wanting me to keep their number, and later sold at my asking price because that person knew they had the first shot and it didn't 'have to' be them who bought it.

Tim

Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #21
jhrusk

Thanks all. It's kinda like at shows I get a lot of inquiries about selling and only now have I started to consider selling. Obviously I would like the max amount but I have never owned a truck of this caliber so I'm in uncharted waters. At the end of the day it is worth what someone will pay. I do appreciate the info as there are s lot of people on here from around the country.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #22
Coley

One thing that should be noted is that a lot of guys....most guys? don't want to pay much or anything to professionally market and sell their high value vehicle.

So essentially, who are we kidding here....you get what you pay for.

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500