The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #1151
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I've been waiting for months to see how my grill is gonna look with this gold paint.

I wasn't disappointed.

I started installing lights too. Didn't get far and I will be chasing down electrical issues for a while I think. Had to do the same thing with my C-10. Mainly fixing and adding ground wires to light fixtures.

I might rebuild the carb tomorrow. Doesn't do me much good to have working lights when it runs kinda crappy. I was adjusting the idle mixture screws the other day and 1 of them had zero effect on the idle. So there's part of my problem right there. I bought the carb used and never did a thing to it. I have done holleys plenty of times and a couple rochesters, this will be the first edelbrock for me.

Wish me luck.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #1152
Dale99

looks alot better then mine!
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #1153
swyfor5

Yes Sir, Jimmy looks awesome! Great job man!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1154
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
looks alot better then mine!
Well, for now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyfor5 View Post
Yes Sir, Jimmy looks awesome! Great job man!
Thank you.

Today I just rebuilt the edelbrock carb. This was a first for me. Did plenty of holleys and a couple rochesters before. It wasn't bad. Only had to take it back apart once because I realized there was a new rubber piston part and spring in the kit that I hadn't used.

The float bowls were a little gunky.

There was some corrosion on the venturis...

Got all the bits and pieces cleaned up, hmmm, not what? It's easy pulling stuff apart right? Don't you just love instructions that say "reassemble in reverse order as the disassembly"? "Except for the following notes..." of course.

No problems though.

Way easier than a rochester.

Anyway, I got it installed, got it running, set the idle and thats about it. Ran out of time. It already idles better, which was the main problem before. I think I have a miss, probably my crappy re-used plug wires. I think I have most of a new set sitting on the floor. So maybe do that soon and see if I can get her running nice smooth and strong, while I keep working on lights and windows and bumpers. I need to do some sandblasting. I need another weeks vacation is what I really need.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #1155
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Paint turned out great, got to be a huge relief to get that done. Like cresting the mountain I suppose!

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #1156
Bomp

Okay,,,, I finally got home. Went to the GoodGuys show in Spokane.
I've been checkin' in the whole weekend but my stupid smart phone would lose connection or drop signal every time I spent 20 or 30 minutes using my fat fingers to tap out a message.
You totally Killed it on flingin' that paint. TOTALLY!!!!!!!

You IS daMAN

and then rebuilt a carb too. snap
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #1157
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Paint turned out great, got to be a huge relief to get that done. Like cresting the mountain I suppose!
Thats a pretty good analogy right there. The rest is easy stuff, although it can get frustrating, like tracing out the electrical gremlins, or re-installing the vent windows. PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Okay,,,, I finally got home. Went to the GoodGuys show in Spokane.
I've been checkin' in the whole weekend but my stupid smart phone would lose connection or drop signal every time I spent 20 or 30 minutes using my fat fingers to tap out a message.
You totally Killed it on flingin' that paint. TOTALLY!!!!!!!

You IS daMAN

and then rebuilt a carb too. snap
Thanks Greg. I are da man. I haven't figured out what you are yet, but fearless and entertaining come to mind. I haven't been to a good guys event since Puyallup back in the late 80's. There was a vendor there that would air brush t-shirts. He had a selection of plain white Tees with decals/silkscreen of dozens of different car/truck styles. He had a 72 chevy C-10 so I bought it and had him spray it turquoise like the color that was in my head. Still have the shirt around here somewhere.

Found it...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #1158
Low Elco

The mountain analogy is about the closest I've heard. Glad it's going well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #1159
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
The mountain analogy is about the closest I've heard. Glad it's going well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly, right?

Mostly had to work my paying job today, but I got it out of the garage. Played with the timing a bit, set the idle again, timing some more, etc. All seat of the pants tuning. Its getting better. It's a total blast to drive. I had it up to 55 for a few seconds but I'm one of those people that gets watery eyes in if theres a slight breeze, and with no windshield the wind is blasting over the hood pretty good. So I pulled off and turned back into town, grinning like the cheshire cat on speed. Oh and I threw an old rear bumper on so I had a place to mount the license plate, and got the seat belts all bolted in. The front lights all work, but I need a couple new headlights. If I can get the tail lights to work, get the windshield in and a front bumper bolted on, I think it will be all legal. Or as legal as it needs to be for beating around.

The windshield isn't required by law, but for comfort, so I can see where I'm going without the tear ducts working overtime. But if I do have the windshield in I'm required to have working wipers, so I gotta get that stupid part I can't find. Have to look in the attic again.

Man this thing is fun.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1160
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

First off I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer isn't anything to mess with. Second, I hope your marital issues don't drain you too much, and finally, like everyone else has said, you knocked out this paint job! It looks amazing! I love that color and your grill looks perfect on it. The dark chrome and black you're going with it will look amazing together. Are you still planning on a black stripe or something on the hood and down the sides? If you do that, you may be able to do the windshield frame too if you're not happy with the color matching there. Congrats on a job well done!!!!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #1161
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
First off I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer isn't anything to mess with. Second, I hope your marital issues don't drain you too much, and finally, like everyone else has said, you knocked out this paint job! It looks amazing! I love that color and your grill looks perfect on it. The dark chrome and black you're going with it will look amazing together. Are you still planning on a black stripe or something on the hood and down the sides? If you do that, you may be able to do the windshield frame too if you're not happy with the color matching there. Congrats on a job well done!!!!
Yep, cancer sucks. As for the wife, I will be ok, regardless of what happens. And thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated. The windshield frame is close enough. No need to mess with it. I doubt I will go with a body side stripe. The black hood is still a possibility, but not likely. It looks too damn good to mess with.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #1162
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
It looks too damn good to mess with.

Thats what I was thinking

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #1163
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just coming in from a quick drive around the neighborhood. Been working on tail lights all evening. Got some progress, but still a couple problems.

First off, I had power back to the plug for the tail light harness. So I plug it in and turn on parking lights. Left side works, right side doesn't. Bad bulb, both sides work.

Right turn signal works. When I hit the left turn all lights blink like I got flashers on. WTH? Unplug tail light harness, hit left blinker, it all works normal including power for left blinker at the rear plug. Hmmm, Try again, jiggle wires cuz that almost always works. Same crap.

The plug on the tail light harness is grounding out to the other lights. So I pull the hole harness out and tail light assemblies and replace it with 1 I found in the attic. I looked it over and remember it's the one I fixed waaaaaay back when I had the black body on here. It worked then, should work now right?

Well, in theory anyway.

Now theres no power to the right blinker, even at the plug. Its dead. WTH again. I hadn't done anything to change power to the plug, so whats the deal. Not even power for the parking lights. So I go jiggle the plug under the dash. Aaaah, there we go. Power to the parking lights. Push and pull and jiggle some more and then all the wires are powered up again.

Cool! plug in the tail light harness, put bulbs in, lights on. Yes!

Blinkers left? Yep. Blinkers right? Yes.

While I'm scrounging around the attic for a harness, I find the wiper part I need (Bonus!), and the side mirrors, and the box of all my lights/assemblies/lenses that I've been searching for since last week, and I haul the windshield down.

I had promised my youngest a ride in it today, so I call her out to the street for her turn in the wind tunnel. But asked her to check my lights out, cuz I couldn't check brake lights without some help or rigging the peddle down, and frankly, I was as fried as some of my wiring by that point. Anyway, no brake lights. Swell. Must be something with the brake pedal switch or something under the dash. I'll find that gremlin eventually.

Oh, and the rear side marker lights are dead. Could be the ground, or whatever. That's not really that important. Lower on the priority list than brake lights and windshield.

And my baby girl (she's 16) loved her ride, which made my day.

Windshield ain't perfect, but it'll do. As long as I can get it in without breaking it. Once it's installed, it's insured and I can hope for a well placed rock.

I also took one of the vent windows apart and then realized I don't have the rivet kit to finish it. So I checked with da burb and I might be able to get that tomorrow, and a couple other things I might be needing.

So overall, a productive night, but not without some difficulties. My end of the evening cruise helped sooth my mind and cool me off from this oppressive heat and humidity we were nailed with the past couple days.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #1164
Bomp

A little frustration makes the good things even better.

You probably already know this or have a tube layin around but I use di-electric-grease on the light bulb sockets and other places. (only in small quantities). It has saved me a time or two.

I always do a victory dance and feel as though I won something when I find that one thing I've been looking for. Or Im amazed I actually remembered. No need for Geritol yet.

Can't wait for the video of this monster rolling down the Blvd.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #1165
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
A little frustration makes the good things even better.

You probably already know this or have a tube layin around but I use di-electric-grease on the light bulb sockets and other places. (only in small quantities). It has saved me a time or two.

I always do a victory dance and feel as though I won something when I find that one thing I've been looking for. Or Im amazed I actually remembered. No need for Geritol yet.

Can't wait for the video of this monster rolling down the Blvd.
Darkest before the dawn? Around here its more like calm before the storm.

Yep, gots me some sparky grease. Or sparkless? Either way, I gots it.

Victory dance? I'm not surprised. Would be shocked if you didn't. But don't discount the geritol, you will be the last to know when you need it. Everyone else around you already has a pretty good idea that it wouldn't hurt.

I usually just have the huge smile and walk into the house and give the touchdown signal and yell, YES! I DID IT! Not as entertaining as a victory dance, but for being a stoic Minnesotan, that's like break dancing.

Hadn't really thought about a video yet, but I doubt anyone is interested in big smoky burnouts, or watching some old retro junkyard beater decorated like it was built by some bell bottom wearing, mirrored sunglassed, dope smoker in 1976 rolling down the streets or highways.

I did manage a little progress today, despite having to cut up part of one of my trees that last nights storm took out. I got lucky, just a large branch fell and scraped the siding. Didn't even tear the screen on the windows it rubbed. About a 6-7" diameter branch and 20' long too. Very lucky. My company car has some hale damage.

But I was able to get the vent window rivets today, and the gas filler neck grommet too. I got the grommet installed and the filler neck touched up with some black paint and shined up the gas cap. And I finished dismantling one of the vent windows and painted it up a bit too. Tomorrow I can put it together and do the driver side. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

I use Bruce88's thread for reference sometimes as I'm sure a lot of you do. He references this thread for the vent windows...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351471

I'm not taking the glass out of the channel, just doing the rubber seals and spiffing them up a bit.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #1166
Low Elco

Quote:

I usually just have the huge smile and walk into the house and give the touchdown signal and yell, YES! I DID IT! Not as entertaining as a victory dance, but for being a stoic Minnesotan, that's like break dancing.

Stoic Minnesotans. Love it.

Hadn't really thought about a video yet, but I doubt anyone is interested in big smoky burnouts, or watching some old retro junkyard beater decorated like it was built by some bell bottom wearing, mirrored sunglassed, dope smoker in 1976 rolling down the streets or highways.

I for one would line up to see this. Feel free to begin production. May I suggest "Slow Ride" in the 8-track?
Gonna pop some glass in and hit the streets this weekend?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #1167
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Gonna pop some glass in and hit the streets this weekend?
Yes.

But why wait for the weekend?

And I got the brake lights working too. Just a bad switch that was also misaligned by the brake pedal. I found another switch in my stash, got it in and adjusted and now all the lights work except the rear side markers, which I can get to later. And now that I have a windshield I need to get the wipers on, and mirrors. I didn't realize how much I use the mirrors until I didn't have any and I was cruising down the highway. Which was freaking sweet BTW. The boy and I took it out of town a couple miles. No weird noises, no nasty death wobble, no problems at all. Just the wind messing up our hair a little bit and an unimpeded view of our surroundings. It was fantastic. Can't wait to take it out again tomorrow.

And I gotta remember to get the differential fluid changed too. I keep forgetting that.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 08-24-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #1168
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This is Neal, my neighbor. He lives in the place behind him there, across the alley. Great guy. He has been restoring John Deere tractors the past few years.

He helped me on the 3rd and the successful attempt at the windshield install. The first time I got the top and sides in but couldn't get the glass up and in enough to pull the bottom in. The 2nd try I almost had it, but still struggled with the bottom even with my son and wife pushing on it.

The 3rd try I started at the bottom and worked around. Once I got to the top corners I knew I had it. I still need to work on the gasket to get it seated in better on the inside, but it's in.

My first time installing a windshield. Here are my teachers...

and here...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553432

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #1169
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

And I did work on one of the wing windows some more. Getting the new seals in is a PITA. And to think I had at least a few sets of good ones not that long ago that I sold for cheap.

Here it is from last night...

I got the bigger V shaped seal on tonight and will get the other piece in this weekend. Then get the other side done too. And do some sandblasting so I can have a front bumper until I build my own.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 08-24-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #1170
Low Elco

Dude, I'm stoked for ya. Just terrific. Good to see momma over there as well. Enjoy, you've earned it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #1171
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Dude, I'm stoked for ya. Just terrific. Good to see momma over there as well. Enjoy, you've earned it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Couldn't have said it better so I'll just second that. You've done a great job and it's really good to see you enjoying all that hard work.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #1172
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Funny, I didn't drive it today. Drove my C-10 instead. It needed some love. This evening I got the 1st vent window back together, epoxied the rear view mirror to the windshield, sprayed the door window frame thingies black, got all the light lenses on (still no rear side marker power) and prepped a few other parts for spraying later.

The spring and nut are on it now too...

My glove box door is the one from the chevy tub, but I'm all GMC elsewhere. I have the black GMC glove box door. Any opinions on whether or not I should swap it? I could paint it gold too if the emblem doesn't transfer.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #1173
swyfor5

Looking real good dude!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #1174
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had to go back several pages and about 6 months in time to find my last punch list and cost update. Yikes! I was at $4322, and bought a new kickdown cable (16), tranny pan (42), paint supplies (didn't use them, but whatever 62) and vent window rivets and filler neck grommet (16). I also gave $50 to the body shop for the use of the booth. I would have offered more, but money is tight right now and Lowell said he was thinking $50 anyway. Can you believe that? I had the booth tied up for an entire day, used their plastic to mask stuff, more tape, on site help and guidance, etc. It's good to make friends!

So my total spent is now $4508. Any other parts I've used so far are ones I had from parting out the various trucks, swap meets and junkyard hauls over the past few years. I just keep fixing up and cleaning old stuff and re-use it as much as possible.

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
still too damn long

*Finish roll bar install
*kickdown cable to carb
*change fluid in both differentials
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
Al's liner inside of tub (half way done)
inner fender tubs, paint, install
rebuild vent windows (half way done)
door glass, handles, locks, mirrors, etc.
Fab front and rear bumpers
electric fan install (got it)
plumb vac and oil gauges
seat bracket spacers, built, need to install
replace rear lift blocks with taller ones (need new u-bolts)
heater control cables and vents
heater install (half way)
wiper washer pump
manual throttle
door panels, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (radio in, need marine speakers and antenna)

Future plans, as time and money and ability permit:
Long travel link suspension front and rear
lockers
rock sliders
roll cage
skid plates
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1175
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
I had to go back several pages and about 6 months in time to find my last punch list and cost update. Yikes! I was at $4322, and bought a new kickdown cable (16), tranny pan (42), paint supplies (didn't use them, but whatever 62) and vent window rivets and filler neck grommet (16). I also gave $50 to the body shop for the use of the booth. I would have offered more, but money is tight right now and Lowell said he was thinking $50 anyway. Can you believe that? I had the booth tied up for an entire day, used their plastic to mask stuff, more tape, on site help and guidance, etc. It's good to make friends!

So my total spent is now $4508. Any other parts I've used so far are ones I had from parting out the various trucks, swap meets and junkyard hauls over the past few years. I just keep fixing up and cleaning old stuff and re-use it as much as possible.

Punch list (in no particular order, * for priority items):
still too damn long

*Finish roll bar install
*kickdown cable to carb
*change fluid in both differentials
*make sure wire for gas gauge is hooked up to sender
Al's liner inside of tub (half way done)
inner fender tubs, paint, install
rebuild vent windows (half way done)
door glass, handles, locks, mirrors, etc.
Fab front and rear bumpers
electric fan install (got it)
plumb vac and oil gauges
seat bracket spacers, built, need to install
replace rear lift blocks with taller ones (need new u-bolts)
heater control cables and vents
heater install (half way)

wiper washer pump
manual throttle
door panels, visors, etc. (have them, need paint, cleaning, etc.)
stereo (radio in, need marine speakers and antenna)

Future plans, as time and money and ability permit:
Long travel link suspension front and rear
lockers
rock sliders
roll cage
skid plates
HaHa Mother Nature is gonna put a "priority" asteric on that pretty soon I think.
I think it deserves a GMC glovebox emblem too, love that grille.
My first 67-72 was a 71 GMC.
Can't wait to see your fab/design skills on the bumpers and off-road stuff either.