The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
superkingd

8 lug to 5 lug swap

looking for advice on easiest swap from 8 lug to 5
I have a 1970 3/4 ton 2wd wanting to lower and go to disc
I'm thinking going with a 72 5 lug factory suspension and swapping it all in, other than I have coil rear. Is the frame the same so that i can just also get a factory leafs and brackets.. I'd like to stay with factory parts for eazz of getting replacements.. Thanks for your help.

Also will anything from later 70's work or be clo0se enough to adapt. Fabrication is not a big deal odviously anything can be done with time but just looking for ideas. Thanks
superkingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
raycow

Re: 8 lug to 5 lug swap

The easiest swap for the front would be a 73-87 1/2 ton crossmember with everything left on it. This gives you 5 lug discs. You can also use 71-72, but that gives you the old style bushings which have to be greased.

On the rear, a 71-72 1/2 ton rear axle (also 5 lug) will bolt to your stock trailing arms. This would be a lot less work than a leaf spring swap.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
The easiest swap for the front would be a 73-87 1/2 ton crossmember with everything left on it. This gives you 5 lug discs. You can also use 71-72, but that gives you the old style bushings which have to be greased.

On the rear, a 71-72 1/2 ton rear axle (also 5 lug) will bolt to your stock trailing arms. This would be a lot less work than a leaf spring swap.

Ray
I have a 69 c20 i want to convert into a 5 lug and my fathers old 71 cheyenne is out at a farm and the guy said we could take whatever we wanted and i was wondering would the 71 suspension and rear end bolt right up to my 69. How hard is it to grease the bushing?
Thanks Ray
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
i was wondering would the 71 suspension and rear end bolt right up to my 69. How hard is it to grease the bushing?

The 71 parts should bolt onto your 69 without any problems, but the rear end is about 1-1/2" wider. The control arm bushings will look just like the ones you have now, with grease fittings. They aren't difficult to grease, just kind of a nuisance. Also, you have to be careful about wiping up all the excess grease that oozes out or else the surrounding area will get pretty yucky looking after a while.

Ray
Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
treveiger

Quote:
The 71 parts should bolt onto your 69 without any problems, but the rear end is about 1-1/2" wider. The control arm bushings will look just like the ones you have now, with grease fittings. They aren't difficult to grease, just kind of a nuisance. Also, you have to be careful about wiping up all the excess grease that oozes out or else the surrounding area will get pretty yucky looking after a while.

Ray
Thank you for all the information. I know what you mean by having all that grease spraying all over ive noticed that, so the newer front end would have the same bolt pattern as the 71?
Thanks Ray.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
raycow

Quote:
so the newer front end would have the same bolt pattern as the 71?
Most of the bolt holes are in the same place. You have to drill one new hole on each side if you swap the whole crossmember. Don't forget to take the steering linkage too. The tie rod holes are larger on the disc brake spindles.

Ray
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
treveiger

Quote:
Most of the bolt holes are in the same place. You have to drill one new hole on each side if you swap the whole crossmember. Don't forget to take the steering linkage too. The tie rod holes are larger on the disc brake spindles.

Ray
If i have a 80s 3/4ton(8 lug) front end already on the truck could i just use some of the 1/2ton(5 lug) parts an not have to switch the whole front end out?
Thanks Ray.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
raycow

Quote:
If i have a 80s 3/4ton(8 lug) front end already on the truck could i just use some of the 1/2ton(5 lug) parts an not have to switch the whole front end out?

Sure. Look at where the control arm shafts are bolted to the frame and just swap everything from the shafts on out.

Ray