The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Highs....Mids...?

I am going to be building some custom speaker boxxes to put on my dash. I did some measureing and the speakers can be up to 6" wide and up to 11" long and up to 3 1/2" deep. I have 2 12" subs which will eventually be located in the center console area. So my question is for the front and rear, head unit speakers, should they be highs if I plan to put 1 set of amplified speakers for mids on the sub box (w/2 12'' 's)? I also plan to put 1 set of tweeters in the truck. If the front head unit speakers should be highs or mids, what size should I get i.e. ?"x?" and ohm, watt things like that, and where can I get them?(like it says above they can be up to 6"x11"x3 1/2") The truck is a 89 1500 silverado, regular cab. Thanks in advance for any help
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10

Last edited by get me on the road; 12-28-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: forgot to put depth measurement
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Classic69
Love That '69

Re: Highs....Mids...?

In my opinion, get a good set of 6X9 "component" speakers. You will get (2) 6X9 speakers, (4) tweeters, and (2) crossovers which will give you exactly what you're looking for (ie. mid's and high's). They are a little bit more $$$ than standard speakers though.

I got a pair of component speakers in my kickpanels and behind my seats and they are amazing for mid's and high's!!! Then there's my 10" subwoofer for the low's.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 12-29-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Those truck have alot of room in the dash apparently...

My recommendation is to go with a set of 5.25" components where you measured and either two 8" subs or two 10" subs. Power the components with a two channel amp and then the subs with a seperate monoblock amp.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
72 cheyenne pdx

Here is what I would do:

Front Speakers:
5.25 components to run on deck power or to an amp.

Rear Speakers:
5.25 or 6.5 components to run on deck power or to an amp.

Subs:
use whatever you decide, I recommend 10's, and power them with a mono or a 2 channel amp.

Now for Amps, there are a lot of brands out there. I may say one version to go with and the next 10 people you talk to or post on here will give you 10 other brands. So I will leave that up to you. The rating though is what I will recommend. If you decide using an amp for the highs/mids, and depending if you are putting all components on a amp or not will determine if you get a 2 or 4 channel amp, I would find an amp with at least 30W RMS per channel and would probably get a 50W RMS per channel. Now I am unsure what Subs you have or are getting, but I would get at least an amp that produces 200-250W RMS. Good Luck with the system.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote