The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
SMR

Help with crate motor options

I had the luck of a cracked block this holiday season and now I'm in the market for a replacement motor for the 350 currently in my 60 C10. Truck was recently repainted, new carpet, bed etc. and has a automatic 350. I wanted to get comments on what I should put in for a crate motor and what vendors provide the best value for the $. I don't need bragging rights on HP numbers. I want to put something that is respectable that wont send me to the poor house. (I'm almost there on this build) I know this is somewhat subjective, but any comments about motor size selection and crate motor vendor options would be helpful.

Thank you
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
roll_the_dice

Re: Help with crate motor options

I bought a crate engine last year from paceperformance.com. I bought a 300HP with FI Tech EFI. I got a package deal with a Tremec T56 Transmission. I have not installed it yet, but getting close. I just wanted EFI so I wouldn't have to worry about the carb if I didn't drive it a decent amount...I just want to get in turn the key and go. I didn't care about a ton of HP...just enough, but not close to being crazy. Everyone will have different opinions. You will get lots of opinions and your mind will go in many different directions when deciding. I did a lot of research at the time and like what I got.

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Kudzupatch

One of the best deals out there is the GM L31. Brand new engine. One year warranty in your truck. Roller camshaft, vortec heads, one piece rear main seal. $1800 - $1850 if you shop around a bit.

I have looked and looked and while there is a lot of options, for a driver I kept coming back to this one. You would need a Vortec intake as they changed those, but otherwise would just bolt in.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
PGSigns

I have the L31 in my 66 and a small comp cam in it. Runs really good. If you go this route will need the intake, a flex plate, A distributor gear, an electric fuel pump and a plug for the timing cover.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

You can get a basic 350 at jegs for $1699 with free shipping. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/7353/10002/-1

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
aotte1

Purchased a GM new crate motor thru Summit, delivered for about $2100, last year. It is one of their lower performance engines. Needed intake, carb, water pump, pullies, distributor, wires spark plug, and alternator. Also changed the valve cover to old M/T. Think my total installed running is around 3100. Price does not include headers.

It is in a 1986 C10 step side short bed, with the LY6 transmission( overdrive 4 speed), and 3.75 rear gears. It is a great engine for me, lots of low end torque. Using a quick fuel carb and Edelbrock intake. Very fun to drive. Not a high rev engine, just good daily driver. A few photos below of engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by aotte1; 12-21-2018 at 02:37 AM.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Purchased a GM new crate motor thru Summit, delivered for about $2100, last year. It is one of their lower performance engines. Needed intake, carb, water pump, pullies, distributor, wires spark plug, and alternator. Also changed the valve cover to old M/T. Think my total installed running is around 3100. Price does not include headers.

It is in a 1986 C10 step side short bed, with the LY6 transmission( overdrive 4 speed), and 3.75 rear gears. It is a great engine for me, lots of low end torque. Using a quick fuel carb and Edelbrock intake. Very fun to drive. Not a high rev engine, just good daily driver. A few photos below of engine.
Good looking engine!

Lots of good options above. I have $4100 in mine above which included the FITech EFI...which I think that is $1000 by itself. I bought rams horn exhaust manifolds from Jegs for $140 I think. Depending on what you want, I think you can get a good low HP engine in the $2500-3000 range and way more if you go crazy.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
One of the best deals out there is the GM L31. Brand new engine. One year warranty in your truck. Roller camshaft, vortec heads, one piece rear main seal. $1800 - $1850 if you shop around a bit.

I have looked and looked and while there is a lot of options, for a driver I kept coming back to this one. You would need a Vortec intake as they changed those, but otherwise would just bolt in.
^Times 2 on this one. This link is off ebay from a Chevrolet Dealer , brand new , warranty , for $1775 with $50 gift card . I think free shipping . Usually $100 to $200 value . The thing about this it is all gm , not intermixed with a rebuild full of Chinecheese knockoff parts .

If you found a good cam doctor that could give you a low lift 4.75 or below that would make great power. Never tried a reground cam but could take this one out and ground to you your specs. Maybe match Chevy hot cam. I like Edelbrock intakes (RPM) vortec but a little pricey but I support things made in this country. China steals edelbrock and other manufactures R and D so on your own if you buy a knockoff intake.

One little downside is I do not believe this will accept a mechanical fuel pump without machining. I wish GM would work on that as it would add one more selling point.

Now , I have never done this but I do know that ebay hits sellers are hit about 15% in seller fees. If you contact the dealer directly you may be able to get a lower price . No guarantees here but ebay does not let them sell for free and also charges fees on shipping. If you can pick up at dealer you may be able to save a little more. I was going to rebuild an engine exactly like this . My machine work would be at least half of the asking price.

Thanks Good Luck
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #9
SMR

Roll-the-Dice.. Thanks for the info....I checked out paceperformance.com and couldn't find this setup. Do you remember the engine model or cost? I'm getting the message here... from all you good folks...GM products are a good way to go. I've been looking at ATK, Blueprint etc. and after reading up on some of the problems and cost some have had sorting bad engines....it leaves me very skeptical about purchasing one for those outfits. Honestly, I would prefer to purchase local so that it could be service by those who put it together if I had a problem. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any crate engine shops operating in the Boston area. .. I guess GM is the next best thing. Anyway, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions... I will post what I finally end up with.

Last edited by SMR; 12-22-2018 at 01:34 AM.
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 AM   #10
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
Roll-the-Dice.. Thanks for the info....I checked out paceperformance.com and couldn't find this setup. Do you remember the engine model or cost? I'm getting the message here... from all you good folks...GM products are a good way to go. I've been looking at ATK, Blueprint etc. and after reading up on some of the problems and cost some have had sorting bad engines....it leaves me very skeptical about purchasing one for those outfits. Honestly, I would prefer to purchase local so that it could be service by those who put it together if I had a problem. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any crate engine shops operating in the Boston area. .. I guess GM is the next best thing. Anyway, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions... I will post what I finally end up with.
I looked at Bluetec and rebuilt engines on Ebay...couldn't find anything local either. I got mine in a package with the transmission, but I am 99% sure this is my engine without the trans. I got it for a little less. I didn't want the chrome air cleaner (had my own). Here is the link for the engine with the EFI. Hope that helps. Let us know what you end up getting. I also had TONS of questions when I was buying and Pace answered them all patiently over about a month and never seemed annoyed...good customer service.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I looked at Bluetec and rebuilt engines on Ebay...couldn't find anything local either. I got mine in a package with the transmission, but I am 99% sure this is my engine without the trans. I got it for a little less. I didn't want the chrome air cleaner (had my own). Here is the link for the engine with the EFI. Hope that helps. Let us know what you end up getting. I also had TONS of questions when I was buying and Pace answered them all patiently over about a month and never seemed annoyed...good customer service.

Here is the number of the L-31 GM Crate . 4 bolt main, powdered rods, one piece rear seal. The vortec heads make a lot more usable power and if you every want to make it perform a little better it is about as easy as a cam change . Possible valve spring change depending on lift. This is a brand new GM never ran engine. This roller cam which gives a peace of mind on break in . It does have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty but check before you buy. That may or may not apply if you are retrofitting to an older vehicle . Check before purchase. I am not trying to sell this engine but this is as low of price I have seen . This dealer is in your part of the country . Usually local dealers will not match this price but you never know. The part # is listed in the ebay ad if you want to check. I think with the LS craze and supply and demand GM has lowered their price way down . I personally like the simplicity of the old sbc. Good luck with your truck.

Here is the link to the engine I am talking about. Summit will also price match. Another thing I failed to notice they have Make Offer in the add so not sure how low they will go . You could call Radley Chevrolet direct . I think the number is in the listing or always in Google.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-NEW-...frcectupt=true

Last edited by paulspickupparts; 12-22-2018 at 10:14 AM.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
Kudzupatch

If you are wanting a more HP than the L-31 keep in mind that GM performance makes a lot of different engines with a range or perfomance. Mine is driver and will be towing so I don't want to give up the low end torque.

I have read articles on junkyard L-31 with cam swaps and they respond well. The heads will take a good bit more camshaft. If you swap cams in the L-31 you void the warranty so that is why I mention the other engines they offer.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
The Rocknrod

The only one that I could find that had all the specs I wanted was this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-P...b961%7Ciid%3A1
Edited: The ATK engine's rep isn't all that good and Blueprint's cam was not what I wanted.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 12-22-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
urmyboyblue

For a reliable sbc, I would go with a GM perf engines, as mentioned above. I understand wanting to get one locally, but unless you have a local rebuilder, that isn't going to happen. Most parts stores are going to sell rebuilt short blocks but those things are usually a hodge podge of cheap parts and very little warranty. Jegs and Summit usually offer free shipping on engines (Jegs has it now.) Both companies have always stood behind their products - never a bad purchase from them with me.

I would be interested to hear the bad you have found on Blue Print engines. They have a good warranty on their engines and decent pricing I thought.

I am sure that some folks have had good luck with Ebay engines, but I would no buy one from there. Ebay has gotten where it will not do much if anything to help you if you have a problem.

I did find one comment above funny- about buying American. I understand the sentiment, but most likely the GM crate engine is built in Mexico. And if not, the block is cast there as are several other parts in it. I doubt any engine you buy from anyone is 100% American.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #15
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Just do a 572 and say good bye to all your troubles.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote