The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
utee05

Remote Starter Solenoid w/ Points Ign

Hi All,
I am trying to put a remote starter solenoid on my '72 GMC. Here is wiring diagram I followed:
Name:  startersolenoid.gif
Views: 18645
Size:  9.2 KB

Since I have points ignition what do I connect the yellow wire that was originally going to the '+' terminal of my ignition coil?

I tried this wiring configuration but this did not work:
Name:  solenoid02.gif
Views: 13894
Size:  4.3 KB

Not sure exactly what I am doing wrong but let me know what wires I have on incorrectly. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Remote Starter Solenoid w/ Points Ign

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
Hi All,
I am trying to put a remote starter solenoid on my '72 GMC. Here is wiring diagram I followed:
Looks like what I have on my Camaro. Don't know why it isn't working.

Just so we know the remote solenoid is working to begin with try jumping the S terminal with the A terminal (hot lead) of the remote solenoid with a screwdriver. This will bypass all the wiring and can cause a spark or two. Make sure the screwdriver doesn't ground out on anything else as you are doing this.

Make sure you are in park or neutral too.

If the engine does turn over then the problem is somewhere in the S terminal power supply to the remote solenoid. If it doesn't turn over then you may have a bad external solenoid. Try a different one and see if it works.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
utee05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Looks like what I have on my Camaro. Don't know why it isn't working.

Just so we know the remote solenoid is working to begin with try jumping the S terminal with the A terminal (hot lead) of the remote solenoid with a screwdriver. This will bypass all the wiring and can cause a spark or two. Make sure the screwdriver doesn't ground out on anything else as you are doing this.
I will give this a try. Just as a follow is the purple wire coming from the fuse box considered to be the ignition switch or is that the neutral safety switch? Just want to make sure I have the correct wire connected to the 'S' terminal.

I am certain I have the yellow wire going to the 'I' terminal on the remote starter.

In order to test out the starter solenoid should I wire things back up how they were in the diagram?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Zeke's Garage

Quote:

I tried this wiring configuration but this did not work:
Attachment 1139863

Not sure exactly what I am doing wrong but let me know what wires I have on incorrectly. Thanks.
Your solenoid needs to be grounded on one side of the internal coil that energizes the solenoid. You can disconnect the main power going from the ford solenoid to the starter, and you'll hear the ford unit click when you turn the key.. that way you'll know it works.

As for the wire that used to go to the ignition coil from the starter... You can leave it like it was, as it will supply 12v from the energized starter solenoid to the coil while the starter is turning, then shut off when you release the key, or you can run a jumper from the output of the ford unit over to the ignition coil.

Now with all that said, why are you putting in a redundant solenoid for this circuit?
I know some folks claim that is solves 'heat soak', but I've never found any science backing up that claim. If you're having hot start problems you're better off looking at new battery cables, starter, battery and/or timing.

Shawn
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
utee05

I have not really had any hot start problems, just figured it would be easier to have the remote starter up closer to the engine bay. I'll re-wire everything back to the way it was. The starter has just been replaced so I know that it is in working order. Also the battery and alternator are fine as well.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Zeke's Garage

Quote:
I have not really had any hot start problems, just figured it would be easier to have the remote starter up closer to the engine bay. I'll re-wire everything back to the way it was. The starter has just been replaced so I know that it is in working order. Also the battery and alternator are fine as well.
If you're just looking for an option for a 'remote start' in the engine bay, you can mount a momentary switch on the firewall or inner fender that connects to the hot (battery side) and the solenoid (where the purple wire goes) directly to the starter solenoid. I did this on my Corvette while working with tuning issues, since it was easier to 'bump' the engine over under the hood instead of gyrating around the steering column through the window to do it.

Good luck!

Shawn
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
67 chevelle

ford selinoids , are chassis ground , I would think that that intermittiant 12 volt wire that ran to your chevy starter selinoid , should now go to the s terminal on your ford selinoid , this is just a 12 volt {quick start} source for your points , at the end of your cranking it shuts off and the other resistor wire powers the coil
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
utee05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
ford selinoids , are chassis ground , I would think that that intermittiant 12 volt wire that ran to your chevy starter selinoid , should now go to the s terminal on your ford selinoid , this is just a 12 volt {quick start} source for your points , at the end of your cranking it shuts off and the other resistor wire powers the coil
I assumed the same that the ford solenoid is grounded to chassis. So the wire connected to the 'S' terminal should be feeding 12V when the key is turned on? I saw this turn to 12V when the key turned on but on the 'B' side of the ford solenoid I saw only ~8V.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
67 chevelle

Quote:
I assumed the same that the ford solenoid is grounded to chassis. So the wire connected to the 'S' terminal should be feeding 12V when the key is turned on? I saw this turn to 12V when the key turned on but on the 'B' side of the ford solenoid I saw only ~8V.

no , The wire running from the selinoid is an intermitant 12 volt wire , , when the key is in the crank position it sends 12 volts to the points , momentary , after the engine runs and you stop cranking the resitor wire on the firewall powers the points , with I believe 8-9 volts ., constant 12 volts to a points system burns the point quickly
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
utee05

Oh ok that clears that up a bit.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
utee05

I will have to look at my wiring. I have a kill switch installed on my system that requires you to push the break to turn on the vehicle. When I was looking at the wiring the yellow wire was not connected to the starter solenoid 'R' terminal at all, only the purple wire was connected to the 'S' terminal on the GM solenoid of the starter.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
utee05

Quote:
no , The wire running from the selinoid is an intermitant 12 volt wire , , when the key is in the crank position it sends 12 volts to the points , momentary , after the engine runs and you stop cranking the resitor wire on the firewall powers the points , with I believe 8-9 volts ., constant 12 volts to a points system burns the point quickly
So this got me thinking. I may have my wiring all messed up. As I saw ~8V coming from the purple wire which should be the ignition wire and should supply 12V and not 8V. The yellow wire or resistor wire that goes to the points is the one that should be sending 8V. I'll have to check when I get home later on today.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
67 chevelle

2 wires go to your coil positive , the one from the starter selinoid [12volt for starting ]
the other lower voltage for running
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
utee05

Quote:
2 wires go to your coil positive , the one from the starter selinoid [12volt for starting ]
the other lower voltage for running
From the wiring diagrams it only has the yellow wire going to the ignition coil positive.

On the starter solenoid there are 2 wires, one for S and one for R terminals. Like in this picture:
Name:  starter_solenoid.jpg
Views: 14958
Size:  76.6 KB

Maybe a nice little diagram can help to clear things up for me as I think I'm a bit confused at the moment now.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
67 chevelle

the yellow wire from the stsrter would be the lower most wire in this diagram , the upper that says resistor comes off the firewall , and most chevys I have worked on this was a white wire , the wire itself is a resistor , as opposed to chryslers that have an actual ballist resistor

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 08-12-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: Remote Starter Solenoid w/ Points Ign

I thought about one of those remote starts but boy if you forget to leave your truck in neutral it would be bad ! LOL
I wonder how these work too ? mine would have to have a solenoid to pat the gas twice then crank the motor
and in the winter I would need the choke cable pulled too ??? I will need a remote start robot LOL

Last edited by 19673ontree; 08-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
67 chevelle

Its a remote selinoid , ford type , this instalation helps with heat sink , say from big headers and a truck that does not want to start when its hot , I had a big block chevelle that I put one on and solved my hot start issues , it works
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #18
utee05

Well my battery died in the process of putting things back together as they were originally. Will get the battery charged up and see how things go. Will need to find the culprit that drained the battery.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
67 chevelle

Quote:
Well my battery died in the process of putting things back together as they were originally. Will get the battery charged up and see how things go. Will need to find the culprit that drained the battery.
I would think that if you put it back the way it was , that it should work . just put the short jumper in , and rerout the purple up to the new relay , leave the others the way they were
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
utee05

Well I am still unsure why the truck won't start. My battery is all charged up. When I go to turn the key nothing happens. I just hear a click and that is all. Could it be my ignition switch or something else?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
67 chevelle

I doubt its your ignition switch , the click usaly indicates the selinoid working

check your wiring

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 08-18-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
utee05

Ok so looks like the purple wire is sending 12V when the key is turned. It seems that the issue is with my yellow wire going to my ignition coil. There is no voltage or anything at all going to it.

What does this yellow wire connect to on the inside to get the voltage? I believe it turns into a lime green color wire which connects to the neutral safety switch. Could it be the neutral safety switch not sending out voltage to this wire?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
I thought about one of those remote starts but boy if you forget to leave your truck in neutral it would be bad ! LOL
I wonder how these work too ? mine would have to have a solenoid to pat the gas twice then crank the motor
and in the winter I would need the choke cable pulled too ??? I will need a remote start robot LOL
You and me both! PO put manual choke on mine and yes it's a manual. I NEVER park in neutral....

But I never plan to drive mine in snow again so it's moot for me.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
utee05

Currently I have everything hooked up as it originally was. Originally my yellow wire was not hooked to the starter and that is how I have it as of now. I started another thread in the electrical section to help narrow down why my yellow wire to the ignition coil is not seeing anything when I put the key in the ON position.

BTW, is all of this irrelevant since I will be putting in an HEI this week once my harness gets in?