The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Surely SOMEBODY has done this before!!!

So I'm looking at bucket seat replacement foam and it's coming in around 400-500 for a set, ouch! Then I started thinking, modern day seats are very supportive and comfortable and there are millions of them at my local pull-part. What about getting cushions from a similar sized seat and shaping them in the same shape as my original cushions? Seems easy enough and will be very cheep to buy.

Anyone do this before?
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Surely SOMEBODY has done this before!!!

My first thought is "You know that funky smell that every car in every wrecking yard has"? Can't help but wonder if you'd be bringing home two great big dispensers of it.

Modern day seats are going to be a lot taller back, by and large. I think a lot of the current safety standards make today's seats quite a bit different than the old ones.

Foam is indeed expensive. Heck, you might be better looking at trying to make Camaro foam work (presuming its cheaper).

Are you sure your old foam is wasted? Mine had 170K of a sweaty dude that discolored the leather, but the foam could have likely been cleaned up and augmented. But if its all hard and crumbly...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
davepl

Before you ask: I meant vinyl. The custom leather interiors were only available when you ordered the Corvette engine.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
So I'm looking at bucket seat replacement foam and it's coming in around 400-500 for a set, ouch! Then I started thinking, modern day seats are very supportive and comfortable and there are millions of them at my local pull-part. What about getting cushions from a similar sized seat and shaping them in the same shape as my original cushions? Seems easy enough and will be very cheep to buy.

Anyone do this before?
Why do that? There are plenty of modern seats in good conditiuon that are not only comfortable but just bolt right in!

This is the second seat out of a 97 GMC Denali in a 67 Stepside. It's leather, it fits and oh yes, there's a nice fold down center console with cupholders and they don't smell!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
terry b

Hey cole. Its a good idea. Hope you get to the bottom of this. It would save a lot of cash if you could find a donor.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Steve Cole

Hi Fitz,

I'm currently running the late model seats, but I picked up some buddy buckets I want to restore. I know an upholstry shop can make the foam cushions but I plan to order the covers from a member like Truckseats instead of a shop making them. I didn't think a shop would be interested in just making foam and not the covers. Besides, I think it would be a fun challenge to see how good I can do making them. As far as the smell, a lot of junkyard cars have it if the windows/doors have been left open and rain has gotten in but they bring in new cars everyday, you just have to get them quick, before they get trashed. The foam would be cheap so if I screw it up, I'm not out much. If it works, I saved a ton of cash that I can use for other projects, or a divorce attorney if this truck doesn't get finished soon! haha
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Why do that? There are plenty of modern seats in good conditiuon that are not only comfortable but just bolt right in!

This is the second seat out of a 97 GMC Denali in a 67 Stepside. It's leather, it fits and oh yes, there's a nice fold down center console with cupholders and they don't smell!
That is a great looking seat. That would solve the problems with the nice but seriously overstuffed seat the PO intstalled in my '69. Thanks for sharing.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Big Kev-O

Quote:

By "bolt right in" you mean after you drill holes through the floor right? Do they line up with the factory holes? That would be outstanding.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
use2bnlp

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  49.2 KB
Not a bucket seat but just wanted to share
Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
use2bnlp

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  51.3 KB
From the other side 88 to 98 bench had to drill a few holes but the truck is 44 yrs old
Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
motorcritter

I'm debating whether to recover and re-foam the original seats I've got, put in a square-body seat I have that is very nice, or go the late-model route. I have three trucks now, to work on, so, maybe one of each. As far as a divorce, just buy her a Mercedes-Benz sedan- that's what I'm doing, to avoid any unfortunate outcomes. That would be a cheaper alternative to divorce, based on my last one.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Hi Fitz,

If it works, I saved a ton of cash that I can use for other projects, or a divorce attorney if this truck doesn't get finished soon! haha
You keep right on laughing. That seat is in the truck that made me a single man again! She won and I had to move 3000 miles to get away...but I kept the truck.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Wouldn't you have to buy the pair of seats from the junkyard? I can't imagine them selling only the foam you need. May be cheaper than new foam but how much for seats...then the labor/experimenting? We know the new cushions are made to fit the covers properly

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
By "bolt right in" you mean after you drill holes through the floor right? Do they line up with the factory holes? That would be outstanding.
When somebody else says"bolt right in" you'll probably have to rebuild the cab. When I say, "bolt right in" I mean it fits the factory holes for the seat mounts, the belts do not have to be moved and it used the same hardware to mount that the stock seat does. That's why it is the second seat out of the Yukon...it is narrower than the front seat.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
pwdcougar

Quote:
When somebody else says"bolt right in" you'll probably have to rebuild the cab. When I say, "bolt right in" I mean it fits the factory holes for the seat mounts, the belts do not have to be moved and it used the same hardware to mount that the stock seat does. That's why it is the second seat out of the Yukon...it is narrower than the front seat.
This is great info! I've been planning on putting a similar seat in my Suburban and have been searching for a front seat. Will it be too wide? is the 2nd row seat a better fit?

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
This is great info! I've been planning on putting a similar seat in my Suburban and have been searching for a front seat. Will it be too wide? is the 2nd row seat a better fit?

Paul
Can't tell you. I do not own a burb.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
Big Kev-O

Thanks Fitz, good to know. Your truck looks great with that seat. I will keep my eye out for one.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #18
pwdcougar

Quote:
Can't tell you. I do not own a burb.

Ok let me rephrase then since I thought the suburban front seat/bolt location and inner body width is the same as the pickup.

Why did you choose the second row seat over the front seat of the Yukon? Was it the bolt location or the actual seat width?

Paul
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #19
Gimme Jimmy

The problem with the '67-72 cabs is that they are too short to put seriously comfy seats in. This is especially true if you are over about 5'10" tall. I am 6'1". I put some chevy van highbacks in my old (now deceased) '68 with custom fabricated brackets, and I had to bend the seat backs forward (at the base of the back cushion to get the seat rearward enough for pedal and knee clearance. It worked ok. If you were to remove (relocate) the gas tank you might have enough room for some nice lowback (Cadillac?) seats and some xtra cab room behind.
Gimme Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
thelonerife

I drive a 97 astro van for work and the bottom foams are very very similar to 71 -72 trucks.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Ok let me rephrase then since I thought the suburban front seat/bolt location and inner body width is the same as the pickup.

Why did you choose the second row seat over the front seat of the Yukon? Was it the bolt location or the actual seat width?

Paul
Both width and bolt location. The front seat is too wide to fit in a 67 cab, the second seat which is narrower to allow access for the third seat does fit.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #22
pwdcougar

Thanks!

Paul